versions of ets libraries that support python 2.5

versions of ets libraries that support python 2.5

emmawillemsma
I am trying to install chaco on python 2.5. I just got through the installation of ets (minus mayavi which I still can't get working) and now I am finding that kiva won't import. I'm getting this error:

'import *' not allowed with 'from .': __init__.py, line 20
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\ets\enable\kiva\__init__.py", line 20, in ?
  from .constants import *

Since python 2.5 doesn't support this style of imports, it looks to me like Kiva requires python 2.6 or greater. On the chaco quickstart page (http://docs.enthought.com/chaco/quickstart.html) it indicates that chaco requires python 2.5, and I was unable to find any version requirements for Kiva. Is there a different version of Kiva I should be installing? Are there any other version dependencies I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Re: versions of ets libraries that support python 2.5

Robert Kern
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM, emmawillemsma
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to install chaco on python 2.5. I just got through the
> installation of ets (minus mayavi which I still can't get working) and now I
> am finding that kiva won't import. I'm getting this error:
>
> 'import *' not allowed with 'from .': __init__.py, line 20
> File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\ets\enable\kiva\__init__.py", line 20,
> in ?
>  from .constants import *
>
> Since python 2.5 doesn't support this style of imports, it looks to me like
> Kiva requires python 2.6 or greater. On the chaco quickstart page
> (http://docs.enthought.com/chaco/quickstart.html) it indicates that chaco
> requires python 2.5, and I was unable to find any version requirements for
> Kiva. Is there a different version of Kiva I should be installing? Are there
> any other version dependencies I should be aware of?

Huh. Weird. Python 2.5 certainly supports the . imports when using
"from __future__ import absolute_import", but this is an extra
restriction in 2.5 that I was unaware of.

This was an unintentional regression. I will fix it in the morning.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM, emmawillemsma
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am trying to install chaco on python 2.5. I just got through the
>> installation of ets (minus mayavi which I still can't get working) and now I
>> am finding that kiva won't import. I'm getting this error:
>>
>> 'import *' not allowed with 'from .': __init__.py, line 20
>> File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\ets\enable\kiva\__init__.py", line 20,
>> in ?
>>  from .constants import *
>>
>> Since python 2.5 doesn't support this style of imports, it looks to me like
>> Kiva requires python 2.6 or greater. On the chaco quickstart page
>> (http://docs.enthought.com/chaco/quickstart.html) it indicates that chaco
>> requires python 2.5, and I was unable to find any version requirements for
>> Kiva. Is there a different version of Kiva I should be installing? Are there
>> any other version dependencies I should be aware of?
>
> Huh. Weird. Python 2.5 certainly supports the . imports when using
> "from __future__ import absolute_import", but this is an extra
> restriction in 2.5 that I was unaware of.
>
> This was an unintentional regression. I will fix it in the morning.

Fixed in master.

https://github.com/enthought/enable/commit/c3a83516245704ec3c5d41263eab9967ee78b667

Re: versions of ets libraries that support python 2.5

emmawillemsma
Thanks Robert, that fixed the kiva import.

I just tried running the example "bar_plot_configurable.py" to test my installation, and I found another issue: chaco\horizon_plot.py has a with statement in it, but it does not have the from __future__import with statement at the top of the file. I added it and the demo ran.

Running a search on the chaco directory, I found the same problem in:
chaco\overlays\coordinate_line_overlay.py
chaco\examples\demo\canvas\cliptest.py
chaco\examples\demo\advanced\scalar_image_function_inspector.py
chaco\tests\create_2d_test_case.py

There are also numerous instances in enaml, encore and elsewhere. Since I'm not clear on the dependencies, I'm not sure if any of these impact the function of chaco.

It looks to me like this version of chaco has never been tested on python 2.5... is there a different ets distribution that would be more appropriate?

Thanks

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Robert Kern [via Enthought Dev] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM, emmawillemsma
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am trying to install chaco on python 2.5. I just got through the
>> installation of ets (minus mayavi which I still can't get working) and now I
>> am finding that kiva won't import. I'm getting this error:
>>
>> 'import *' not allowed with 'from .': __init__.py, line 20
>> File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\ets\enable\kiva\__init__.py", line 20,
>> in ?
>>  from .constants import *
>>
>> Since python 2.5 doesn't support this style of imports, it looks to me like
>> Kiva requires python 2.6 or greater. On the chaco quickstart page
>> (http://docs.enthought.com/chaco/quickstart.html) it indicates that chaco
>> requires python 2.5, and I was unable to find any version requirements for
>> Kiva. Is there a different version of Kiva I should be installing? Are there
>> any other version dependencies I should be aware of?
>
> Huh. Weird. Python 2.5 certainly supports the . imports when using
> "from __future__ import absolute_import", but this is an extra
> restriction in 2.5 that I was unaware of.
>
> This was an unintentional regression. I will fix it in the morning.
Fixed in master.

https://github.com/enthought/enable/commit/c3a83516245704ec3c5d41263eab9967ee78b667

http://enthought-dev.117412.n3.nabble.com/versions-of-ets-libraries-that-support-python-2-5-tp4025281p4025283.html
To unsubscribe from versions of ets libraries that support python 2.5, click here.
NAML

--
Emma Willemsma
Test Systems Engineer

CONFIDENTIAL
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Morgan Solar Incorporated. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,  you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,  distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this  message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all  copies of this message.

Re: versions of ets libraries that support python 2.5

Robert Kern
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM, emmawillemsma
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Robert, that fixed the kiva import.
>
> I just tried running the example "bar_plot_configurable.py" to test my
> installation, and I found another issue: chaco\horizon_plot.py has a with
> statement in it, but it does not have the from __future__import with
> statement at the top of the file. I added it and the demo ran.

Where is that file? I don't see a horizon_plot.py file anywhere in our code.

> Running a search on the chaco directory, I found the same problem in:
> chaco\overlays\coordinate_line_overlay.py
> chaco\examples\demo\canvas\cliptest.py
> chaco\examples\demo\advanced\scalar_image_function_inspector.py
> chaco\tests\create_2d_test_case.py

Yes, these were unintentional omissions.

> There are also numerous instances in enaml, encore and elsewhere. Since I'm
> not clear on the dependencies, I'm not sure if any of these impact the
> function of chaco.

enaml and encore are newer packages, and those deliberately only
support 2.6+. They are not dependencies of chaco.

> It looks to me like this version of chaco has never been tested on python
> 2.5... is there a different ets distribution that would be more appropriate?

Correct, we are not currently testing on Python 2.5 any more. We will
try to fix these issues as they come up as long as they are low
hanging fruit, but it may not be long before we drop Python 2.5
support entirely. The last version of ETS that was thoroughly tested
on Python 2.5 was a long time ago, I'm sorry to say.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM, emmawillemsma
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Robert, that fixed the kiva import.
>>
>> I just tried running the example "bar_plot_configurable.py" to test my
>> installation, and I found another issue: chaco\horizon_plot.py has a with
>> statement in it, but it does not have the from __future__import with
>> statement at the top of the file. I added it and the demo ran.
>
> Where is that file? I don't see a horizon_plot.py file anywhere in our code.

My apologies. I had an out-of-date checkout. Fixed in master.

Re: versions of ets libraries that support python 2.5

emmawillemsma

Thank you Robert, i really appreciate your help.