tvtk.tools.visual - how to use?

Des.P
I am on OSX 10.6.8, using last-but-one enthought suite.

Using the small test example here:
   http://code.enthought.com/projects/files/ets_api/enthought.tvtk.tools.visual.html

When I do:
   ipython -wthread

I get Unrecognized flag: '-wthread'

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: tvtk.tools.visual - how to use?

Robert Kern
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Des.P <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am on OSX 10.6.8, using last-but-one enthought suite.
>
> Using the small test example here:
>    http://code.enthought.com/projects/files/ets_api/enthought.tvtk.tools.visual.html
>
> When I do:
>    ipython -wthread
>
> I get Unrecognized flag: '-wthread'

That document is very old. It describes an older version of IPython.
The correct invocation for the current IPython looks like this:

  ipython --gui=wx

Re: tvtk.tools.visual - how to use?

Des.P

> That document is very old. It describes an older version of IPython.
> The correct invocation for the current IPython looks like this:
>
> ipython --gui=wx

Thanks, Robert. That starts up ipython, and when I enter the demo code (or several variants I tried)
In [1]: from enthought.tvtk.tools import visual
In [2]: visual.test_sphere()
In [3]: s = visual.sphere() # Create a sphere actor
In [4]: s.edit_traits() # Edit sphere actor's properties via GUI

the display window pops up without lockup up, but it does not seem to display the sphere. Something simple I may be missing?

Re: tvtk.tools.visual - how to use?

Des.P
Any suggestions how I might get past this tvtk.tools.visual problem on OSX with EPD 7.3?

Thanks!

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 02:18:54PM -0500, Des.P wrote:
> Thanks, Robert. That starts up ipython, and when I enter the demo code (or several variants I tried)
> In [1]: from enthought.tvtk.tools import visual
> In [2]: visual.test_sphere()
> In [3]: s = visual.sphere() # Create a sphere actor
> In [4]: s.edit_traits() # Edit sphere actor's properties via GUI

> the display window pops up without lockup up, but it does not seem to display the sphere. Something simple I may be missing?

Works for me. One thing that I can think of are graphics card problems.
Do other mayavi examples work?