qt4 vs wx

Brennan Williams
Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.

Now I'm taking another look.

I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2

As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
lines of....

view=View(
               Group(
Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
               ),
          )

When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...

QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0

Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks

Brennan

Re: qt4 vs wx

Robert Kern
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
>
> Now I'm taking another look.
>
> I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
>
> As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> lines of....
>
> view=View(
>                Group(
> Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
>                ),
>           )
>
> When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
>
> QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
>
> Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> ideas?

That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.

Re: qt4 vs wx

Thomas Lecocq
Can't it just be you are calling edit_traits() from a console ? does configure_traits() give the same error ?

I do remember having issues calling edit_traits() directly from console...

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] qt4 vs wx
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> > rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
> >
> > Now I'm taking another look.
> >
> > I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
> >
> > As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> > is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> > lines of....
> >
> > view=View(
> > Group(
> > Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
> > ),
> > )
> >
> > When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
> >
> > QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
> >
> > Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> > ideas?
>
> That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
> example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: qt4 vs wx

Brennan Williams
It's a fairly complex GUI with a tree editor and lots of tabs, tables, plots etc in the rhs panel. Some of my create_view methods for the various objects in the tree are not working under qt4/PySide and that may be what is causing the initial problem as my top level object in the tree fails to create a view.

So I'm working through that to see what wx vs qt compatibility issues I have.

VGrid doesn't work well visually under qt although it doesn't stop a view being created.

There are also visual problems with springs, springy=True and TableEditor (columns not autosizing)

visible_when doesn't work with tabbed groups, i.e. you still see all the tabs whereas under wx you only see the visible tabs

I'm also working on getting matplotlib plots working under traits/qt

I should actually move to the latest EPD 7.3. And I should also update to the latest Traits/TraitsUI - remind me how to do that?

More later

Brennan

On 14/09/2012 1:08 a.m., Thomas Lecocq wrote:
Can't it just be you are calling edit_traits() from a console ? does configure_traits() give the same error ?

I do remember having issues calling edit_traits() directly from console...

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] qt4 vs wx
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> > rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
> >
> > Now I'm taking another look.
> >
> > I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
> >
> > As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> > is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> > lines of....
> >
> > view=View(
> > Group(
> > Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
> > ),
> > )
> >
> > When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
> >
> > QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
> >
> > Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> > ideas?
>
> That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
> example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: qt4 vs wx

Jonathan March
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Brennan Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brennan,

If you had a current EPD subscription, then you would:

# one time only:
$ enpkg enstaller
$ enpkg --userpass

$ enpkg epd
# note that will update you to EPD 7.3-2 which does *not* contain the latest versions of all packages in EPD.

$ enpkg traits
$ enpkg traitsui

hth,
Jonathan

More later

Brennan

On 14/09/2012 1:08 a.m., Thomas Lecocq wrote:
Can't it just be you are calling edit_traits() from a console ? does configure_traits() give the same error ?

I do remember having issues calling edit_traits() directly from console...

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] qt4 vs wx
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> > rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
> >
> > Now I'm taking another look.
> >
> > I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
> >
> > As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> > is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> > lines of....
> >
> > view=View(
> > Group(
> > Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
> > ),
> > )
> >
> > When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
> >
> > QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
> >
> > Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> > ideas?
>
> That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
> example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: qt4 vs wx

Brennan Williams
On 14/09/2012 10:56 a.m., Jonathan March wrote:
[...]

Just thought I'd try downloading and building ets myself.

Went to the code.enthought.com/source page, downloaded ets.py, created an e:\ets directory and did....

python ets.py clone

But i get an error...

Cloning package encore
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ets.py", line 150, in <module>
    main()
  File "ets.py", line 137, in main
    subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
  File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 506, in check_call
    retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 493, in call
    return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 893, in _execute_child
    startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Any ideas?

I can see https://github.com/enthought/encore in my browser

Brennan

More later

Brennan

On 14/09/2012 1:08 a.m., Thomas Lecocq wrote:
Can't it just be you are calling edit_traits() from a console ? does configure_traits() give the same error ?

I do remember having issues calling edit_traits() directly from console...

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] qt4 vs wx
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> > rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
> >
> > Now I'm taking another look.
> >
> > I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
> >
> > As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> > is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> > lines of....
> >
> > view=View(
> > Group(
> > Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
> > ),
> > )
> >
> > When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
> >
> > QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
> >
> > Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> > ideas?
>
> That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
> example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: qt4 vs wx

Jonathan March
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Brennan Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Excellent plan, if all you need to update is ets packages.

[...]

It's about git. See:

FWIW, I find it easiest to do all my windows git work in a gitbash terminal.

Brennan

More later

Brennan

On 14/09/2012 1:08 a.m., Thomas Lecocq wrote:
Can't it just be you are calling edit_traits() from a console ? does configure_traits() give the same error ?

I do remember having issues calling edit_traits() directly from console...

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] qt4 vs wx
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> > rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
> >
> > Now I'm taking another look.
> >
> > I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
> >
> > As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> > is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> > lines of....
> >
> > view=View(
> > Group(
> > Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
> > ),
> > )
> >
> > When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
> >
> > QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
> >
> > Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> > ideas?
>
> That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
> example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: qt4 vs wx

Brennan Williams
On 14/09/2012 2:32 p.m., Jonathan March wrote:
[...]

OK thanks. Have downloaded and installed git (Windows), fired up a gitbash terminal window and am so far successfully doing an ets.py clone.

Brennan

Brennan

More later

Brennan

On 14/09/2012 1:08 a.m., Thomas Lecocq wrote:
Can't it just be you are calling edit_traits() from a console ? does configure_traits() give the same error ?

I do remember having issues calling edit_traits() directly from console...

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] qt4 vs wx
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> > rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
> >
> > Now I'm taking another look.
> >
> > I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
> >
> > As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> > is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> > lines of....
> >
> > view=View(
> > Group(
> > Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
> > ),
> > )
> >
> > When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
> >
> > QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
> >
> > Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> > ideas?
>
> That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
> example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: qt4 vs wx

Brennan Williams
On 14/09/2012 3:09 p.m., Brennan Williams wrote:
[...]

Hmmm well it was going ok, had downloaded quite a bit but has frozen 75% of the way through getting mayavi. So I've ctrl-c'd and tried eps.py clone again but it doesen't seem to like having some things already there in the directory.

Is there a way to get it going again without deleting everything and starting from scratch or do I just have to bite the bullet?

Brennan

Brennan

More later

Brennan

On 14/09/2012 1:08 a.m., Thomas Lecocq wrote:
Can't it just be you are calling edit_traits() from a console ? does configure_traits() give the same error ?

I do remember having issues calling edit_traits() directly from console...

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] qt4 vs wx
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Brennan Williams
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Earlier in the year I took a look at using ETSConfig.toolkit='qt4'
> > rather than 'wx'. I had a few issues so put it to one side.
> >
> > Now I'm taking another look.
> >
> > I'm on Win32 EPD 7.2-2
> >
> > As yet I haven't got a code sample to show my initial problem as my GUI
> > is quite complex. I use TreeEditor and my view is defined along the
> > lines of....
> >
> > view=View(
> > Group(
> > Item(name='project',editor=self.project_tree_editor,resizable=True,..),
> > ),
> > )
> >
> > When I call edit_traits with the view Python stops and I get the error...
> >
> > QWidget::setLayout: Cannot set layout to 0
> >
> > Before I plough on further to find out the cause, does anyone have any
> > ideas?
>
> That one is new to me. If you can reduce it to a complete, minimal
> example that demonstrates the problem, I might be able to help.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: qt4 vs wx

Jonathan March
Sure, ets.py is just a simple script for doing the same operation on multiple ets packages. I suggest you make a renamed copy of the script, delete or comment out the names of the packages that have already cloned ok, delete the mayavi repo directory (to avoid any weird interactions), and repeat.

Or you can just clone each package separately. Again, the ets.py code shows you what do do.