problems with ets.py

mike tallhamer
I keep getting the following Traceback when trying to use ets.py.

I have EPD 7.0.2 installed already but would like to grab the examples
off of github. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

python ets.py clone

Cloning package enthoughtbase
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "ets.py", line 149, in <module>
     main()
   File "ets.py", line 136, in main
     subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 499, in check_call
     retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 486, in call
     return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
     errread, errwrite)
   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 882, in _execute_child
     startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Re: problems with ets.py

Simon Jagoe
Hi Mike,

It looks like you do not have Git installed, needed for getting the ETS source.

>From the error, it looks like you are on Windows. Have a look at the
URL below for a Git for Windows installer.

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Regards,
Simon

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Mike Tallhamer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I keep getting the following Traceback when trying to use ets.py.
>
> I have EPD 7.0.2 installed already but would like to grab the examples
> off of github. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> python ets.py clone
>
> Cloning package enthoughtbase
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "ets.py", line 149, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "ets.py", line 136, in main
>     subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 499, in check_call
>     retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 486, in call
>     return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
>     errread, errwrite)
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 882, in _execute_child
>     startupinfo)
> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Re: problems with ets.py

mike tallhamer
I have already installed it and can clone the projects one at a time
using the command:

git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git

However when using the ets.py script it seems to fail.

-Mike

On 3/31/2011 1:14 PM, Simon Jagoe wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> It looks like you do not have Git installed, needed for getting the ETS source.
>
>  From the error, it looks like you are on Windows. Have a look at the
> URL below for a Git for Windows installer.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> Regards,
> Simon
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Mike Tallhamer
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I keep getting the following Traceback when trying to use ets.py.
>>
>> I have EPD 7.0.2 installed already but would like to grab the examples
>> off of github. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> python ets.py clone
>>
>> Cloning package enthoughtbase
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "ets.py", line 149, in<module>
>>      main()
>>    File "ets.py", line 136, in main
>>      subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 499, in check_call
>>      retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 486, in call
>>      return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
>>      errread, errwrite)
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 882, in _execute_child
>>      startupinfo)
>> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Re: problems with ets.py

Anthony Scopatz
Hmm, my next guess was going to be that it was not on the path, but clearly it is...

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Mike Tallhamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have already installed it and can clone the projects one at a time
using the command:

git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git

However when using the ets.py script it seems to fail.

-Mike

On 3/31/2011 1:14 PM, Simon Jagoe wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> It looks like you do not have Git installed, needed for getting the ETS source.
>
>  From the error, it looks like you are on Windows. Have a look at the
> URL below for a Git for Windows installer.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> Regards,
> Simon
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Mike Tallhamer
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I keep getting the following Traceback when trying to use ets.py.
>>
>> I have EPD 7.0.2 installed already but would like to grab the examples
>> off of github. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> python ets.py clone
>>
>> Cloning package enthoughtbase
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "ets.py", line 149, in<module>
>>      main()
>>    File "ets.py", line 136, in main
>>      subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 499, in check_call
>>      retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 486, in call
>>      return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
>>      errread, errwrite)
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 882, in _execute_child
>>      startupinfo)
>> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Re: problems with ets.py

Simon Jagoe
Ah. The git installer does not add git to the Windows PATH. Rather,
when you use the bundled "git bash", it alters the PATH for that
session. This has the effect that when running anything in Windows
cmd.exe you will not have access to git.

It is not recommended to add the git folder to PATH, however, because
it bundles a number of ported unix utilities (such as "find"), which
conflict with Windows utilities with the same name.

A solution for now might be to run "python ets.py clone" from git
bash. I'm not sure of a better solution for the moment.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,
Simon

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Mike Tallhamer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have already installed it and can clone the projects one at a time
> using the command:
>
> git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git
>
> However when using the ets.py script it seems to fail.
>
> -Mike
>
> On 3/31/2011 1:14 PM, Simon Jagoe wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> It looks like you do not have Git installed, needed for getting the ETS source.
>>
>>  From the error, it looks like you are on Windows. Have a look at the
>> URL below for a Git for Windows installer.
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>>
>> Regards,
>> Simon
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Mike Tallhamer
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> I keep getting the following Traceback when trying to use ets.py.
>>>
>>> I have EPD 7.0.2 installed already but would like to grab the examples
>>> off of github. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> python ets.py clone
>>>
>>> Cloning package enthoughtbase
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>    File "ets.py", line 149, in<module>
>>>      main()
>>>    File "ets.py", line 136, in main
>>>      subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
>>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 499, in check_call
>>>      retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
>>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 486, in call
>>>      return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
>>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
>>>      errread, errwrite)
>>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 882, in _execute_child
>>>      startupinfo)
>>> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Re: problems with ets.py

mike tallhamer
I also have an additional question. I'm interested in the Task API and was looking over the examples but it appears as though I need to grab everything using the ets.py script to be able to use the Task framework in Pyface. Hence my first issue below with the ets.py script.

My second question is this...If I already have installed the EPD 7.0.2 python distribution what do I need to do to get my python scripts to use the bleeding edge ETS libraries (once I get ets.py to work) instead of the ones that came with the EPD 7.02 install?

Thanks again,
Mike

On 3/31/2011 1:19 PM, Anthony Scopatz wrote:
Hmm, my next guess was going to be that it was not on the path, but clearly it is...

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Mike Tallhamer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have already installed it and can clone the projects one at a time
using the command:

git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git

However when using the ets.py script it seems to fail.

-Mike

On 3/31/2011 1:14 PM, Simon Jagoe wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> It looks like you do not have Git installed, needed for getting the ETS source.
>
>  From the error, it looks like you are on Windows. Have a look at the
> URL below for a Git for Windows installer.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> Regards,
> Simon
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Mike Tallhamer
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I keep getting the following Traceback when trying to use ets.py.
>>
>> I have EPD 7.0.2 installed already but would like to grab the examples
>> off of github. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> python ets.py clone
>>
>> Cloning package enthoughtbase
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "ets.py", line 149, in<module>
>>      main()
>>    File "ets.py", line 136, in main
>>      subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 499, in check_call
>>      retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 486, in call
>>      return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
>>      errread, errwrite)
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 882, in _execute_child
>>      startupinfo)
>> WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Re: problems with ets.py

Simon Jagoe
To use bleeding-edge ETS in EPD, do the following:

1) If you look in C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\, you'll see a
directory called "enthought". Move that out of the way (I tend to keep
it backed up in, say, C:\Python27\enthought-old).

2) Then in the directory where you originally ran "ets.py clone", run:
   ets.py develop

Now the git "master" development branch of ETS is what you will use
from EPD. Whenever you want to update, go to the directory where you
originally ran ets.py clone and do "ets.py pull". This will pull in
all changes since you cloned.

Regards,
Simon

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Mike Tallhamer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also have an additional question. I'm interested in the Task API and was
> looking over the examples but it appears as though I need to grab everything
> using the ets.py script to be able to use the Task framework in Pyface.
> Hence my first issue below with the ets.py script.
>
> My second question is this...If I already have installed the EPD 7.0.2
> python distribution what do I need to do to get my python scripts to use the
> bleeding edge ETS libraries (once I get ets.py to work) instead of the ones
> that came with the EPD 7.02 install?
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike
>
> On 3/31/2011 1:19 PM, Anthony Scopatz wrote:
>
> Hmm, my next guess was going to be that it was not on the path, but clearly
> it is...
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Mike Tallhamer <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have already installed it and can clone the projects one at a time
>> using the command:
>>
>> git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git
>>
>> However when using the ets.py script it seems to fail.
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>> On 3/31/2011 1:14 PM, Simon Jagoe wrote:
>> > Hi Mike,
>> >
>> > It looks like you do not have Git installed, needed for getting the ETS
>> > source.
>> >
>> >  From the error, it looks like you are on Windows. Have a look at the
>> > URL below for a Git for Windows installer.
>> >
>> > http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Simon

Re: problems with ets.py

mike tallhamer
That worked!

What is strange though is the individual commands like

git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git

Do work in the cmd.exe terminal??

-Mike

On 3/31/2011 1:24 PM, Simon Jagoe wrote:

> Ah. The git installer does not add git to the Windows PATH. Rather,
> when you use the bundled "git bash", it alters the PATH for that
> session. This has the effect that when running anything in Windows
> cmd.exe you will not have access to git.
>
> It is not recommended to add the git folder to PATH, however, because
> it bundles a number of ported unix utilities (such as "find"), which
> conflict with Windows utilities with the same name.
>
> A solution for now might be to run "python ets.py clone" from git
> bash. I'm not sure of a better solution for the moment.
>
> Let me know if that helps.
>
> Regards,
> Simon
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Mike Tallhamer
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I have already installed it and can clone the projects one at a time
>> using the command:
>>
>> git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git
>>
>> However when using the ets.py script it seems to fail.
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>> On 3/31/2011 1:14 PM, Simon Jagoe wrote:
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> It looks like you do not have Git installed, needed for getting the ETS source.
>>>
>>>   From the error, it looks like you are on Windows. Have a look at the
>>> URL below for a Git for Windows installer.
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Simon

Re: problems with ets.py

Simon Jagoe
> What is strange though is the individual commands like
>
> git clone https://github.com/enthought/random_ets_package.git
>
> Do work in the cmd.exe terminal??

You have me stumped there, I'm afraid! Sorry I can't be of more help.
I assumed it wouldn't because on my Windows machine it is set up to
not work in cmd.exe so I guessed that would be the problem. Now I'm
lost.

Perhaps somebody else with more Windows experience/knowledge than
myself could comment, if anybody is listening in?

Regards,
Simon

Re: problems with ets.py

mike tallhamer
No need to be afraid. I was looking at the PATH variable and the
C:\Program Files\Git\cmd folder was added to the windows path prior to
any other python path modifications made via the EPD install. My guess
is one of my colleagues probably installed it on this machine at some
point in the past and manually added the path to the system path. When I
install it again (was no longer on the computer) it just found the
folder via the onld path that was never removed.

The hazards of people using your office when you're away :^)

Thanks for all you help Simon.

Mike