multiprocessing process object hangs on join

multiprocessing process object hangs on join

Josh Dempster
I'm running Enthought 64-bit (python 2.7) on OS-X and trying to use multiprocessing. The interpreter keeps hanging when I tell a process to join. This is true even for the very simple examples provided in the documentation. For example:

   import multiprocessing as mp

   def f(x):
        print x*x

   p=mp.Process(target=f,args=(2,))
   p.start()
   p.join()

The start method works fine, but join hangs with no cpu usage (and no keyboard interrupt!). I get the same problem whether I use queues or pools (for pools, it hangs on map or async_apply).

Thanks for the help!

-Josh

Re: multiprocessing process object hangs on join

Robert Kern
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Joshua Dempster
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running Enthought 64-bit (python 2.7) on OS-X and trying to use
> multiprocessing. The interpreter keeps hanging when I tell a process to
> join. This is true even for the very simple examples provided in the
> documentation. For example:
>
>    import multiprocessing as mp
>
>    def f(x):
>         print x*x
>
>    p=mp.Process(target=f,args=(2,))
>    p.start()
>    p.join()
>
> The start method works fine, but join hangs with no cpu usage (and no
> keyboard interrupt!). I get the same problem whether I use queues or pools
> (for pools, it hangs on map or async_apply).

Exactly what version of EPD64 did you install? I cannot replicate the
problem with EPD64 7.3-2.

Re: multiprocessing process object hangs on join

Josh Dempster
It's 7.3, but I'm not sure how to check the exact version.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm running Enthought 64-bit (python 2.7) on OS-X and trying to use
> multiprocessing. The interpreter keeps hanging when I tell a process to
> join. This is true even for the very simple examples provided in the
> documentation. For example:
>
>    import multiprocessing as mp
>
>    def f(x):
>         print x*x
>
>    p=mp.Process(target=f,args=(2,))
>    p.start()
>    p.join()
>
> The start method works fine, but join hangs with no cpu usage (and no
> keyboard interrupt!). I get the same problem whether I use queues or pools
> (for pools, it hangs on map or async_apply).

Exactly what version of EPD64 did you install? I cannot replicate the
problem with EPD64 7.3-2.

Re: multiprocessing process object hangs on join

Robert Kern
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Joshua Dempster
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's 7.3, but I'm not sure how to check the exact version.

The EPD_README.txt file will state it.

/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/EPD_README.txt

Re: multiprocessing process object hangs on join

Jonathan March
$ python
Enthought Python Distribution -- www.enthought.com
Version: 7.3-2 (64-bit)

Python 2.7.3 |EPD 7.3-2 (64-bit)| (default, Apr 12 2012, 11:14:05)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm running Enthought 64-bit (python 2.7) on OS-X and trying to use
> multiprocessing. The interpreter keeps hanging when I tell a process to
> join. This is true even for the very simple examples provided in the
> documentation. For example:
>
>    import multiprocessing as mp
>
>    def f(x):
>         print x*x
>
>    p=mp.Process(target=f,args=(2,))
>    p.start()
>    p.join()
>
> The start method works fine, but join hangs with no cpu usage (and no
> keyboard interrupt!). I get the same problem whether I use queues or pools
> (for pools, it hangs on map or async_apply).

Exactly what version of EPD64 did you install? I cannot replicate the
problem with EPD64 7.3-2.

Re: multiprocessing process object hangs on join

Josh Dempster
Thanks, it's 7.3-2.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's 7.3, but I'm not sure how to check the exact version.

The EPD_README.txt file will state it.

/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/Current/EPD_README.txt

Re: multiprocessing process object hangs on join

Robert Kern
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Joshua Dempster
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, it's 7.3-2.

Oh well. It's working for me, at least.

[~/scratch]$ python
Enthought Python Distribution -- www.enthought.com
Version: 7.3-2 (64-bit)

Python 2.7.3 |EPD 7.3-2 (64-bit)| (default, Apr 12 2012, 11:14:05)
Type "credits", "demo" or "enthought" for more information.

[~/scratch]$ cat mpbug.py
import multiprocessing as mp

def f(x):
    print x*x