mlab.pipeline.open and Scalars?

Dimagiba, Lorenzo
Hi,

so I'm becoming somewhat familiar with the data types in mlab. I'm currently using the mlab.pipeline.open function to open up an object file. From here I can visualize it by using mlab.pipeline.surface(). Now however I would like to add my own scalars to it, I'm not exactly sure how to go about this though...

Lorenzo

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.
Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this e-mail may not be that of the organization.

Re: mlab.pipeline.open and Scalars?

Gael Varoquaux
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 04:40:18PM +0000, Dimagiba, Lorenzo wrote:
> so I'm becoming somewhat familiar with the data types in mlab. I'm currently using the mlab.pipeline.open function to open up an object file. From here I can visualize it by using mlab.pipeline.surface(). Now however I would like to add my own scalars to it, I'm not exactly sure how to go about this though...

That depends on the type of oject that you are manipulating. See the
following sections of the documentation:

http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/data.html
and
http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/mayavi_objects.html

HTH,

Gaƫl

Re: mlab.pipeline.open and Scalars?

Dimagiba, Lorenzo
Hello Gael,

the data type when you import an object using mlab.pipeline.open() does not seem to cover what data type the object becomes exactly, well this is not entirely true...

I am trying to import a wavefront .obj file using the specified method. It says it is a PolyDataReader object, which I cannot seem to apply scalar values to. Should I perhaps change this into another kind of data source so I can attach scalars?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 06:21:30PM +0000, Dimagiba, Lorenzo wrote:
> I am trying to import a wavefront .obj file using the specified method. It says it is a PolyDataReader object, which I cannot seem to apply scalar values to. Should I perhaps change this into another kind of data source so I can attach scalars?

As detailed on
http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/data.html#the-flow-of-data
you should look at the 'outputs' entry of the object, to retrieve a VTK
dataset. It will then be a PolyData,
http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/data.html#polydata
which you should be able to add scalars to and feed back in the pipeline
applying mlab.pipeline operations to it.