mayavi2 -o Segmentation fault

Sergiy Cherepov
Hi everyone.
I'm trying to render a number of vtk files offscreen in order to
create a movie, but I can not get mayavi to work in the offscreen
mode.
When I'm using -o option in shell it returns Segmentation faults and
program do not starts, when I'm using mlab.options.offscreen = True -
nothing happening - script works but not offscreen.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Serg.

P.S. I'm running opensuse and vtk 5.4

Re: mayavi2 -o Segmentation fault

Gael Varoquaux
On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 02:00:35PM +0200, Sergiy Cherepov wrote:
> I'm trying to render a number of vtk files offscreen in order to
> create a movie, but I can not get mayavi to work in the offscreen
> mode.
> When I'm using -o option in shell it returns Segmentation faults and
> program do not starts, when I'm using mlab.options.offscreen = True -
> nothing happening - script works but not offscreen.

> Any ideas how to fix it?

You're probably a victim of a bug in your graphics card driver or VTK.
There have been a number of reports of this problem. I could walk you
through debugging (via gdb) the problem, but chances are that it will
just confirm that hunch, and we can't do anything about it.

I see two options:

 1) Try and live with it. It means that you'll have an annoying window
    doing the render. I know it's a pain, sorry about it.

 2) Use the X virtual framebuffer:
http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/tips.html#rendering-using-the-virtual-framebuffer

Please, tell us if one of those two options work for you.

Cheers,

Gaƫl