fractions calculator

Brennan Williams
I'm thinking of writing a fractions calculator in Python with a Traits
GUI to help my kids. Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone already
done this? I was sort of thinking of an HP RPN type approach with a
Traits-based calculator-like GUI.

Brennan

Re: fractions calculator

Robert Kern
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Brennan Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm thinking of writing a fractions calculator in Python with a Traits
> GUI to help my kids. Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone already
> done this? I was sort of thinking of an HP RPN type approach with a
> Traits-based calculator-like GUI.

Here is an old piece of cr*p I put together once:

  https://bitbucket.org/robertkern/rk48

  $ python -m rk48.wxcalc

It uses sympy for the math. There's a ton of things that you would
need to do to make the GUI worth using, but the RPN part is pretty
solid (and fun to play with).

Re: fractions calculator

Chris Barker
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Brennan Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm thinking of writing a fractions calculator in Python with a Traits
> GUI to help my kids.

If you do get this done, could you let me know (or post here). I've
been thinking about a number of small programs to help teach math --
this could be a nice one.

-Chris

 Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone already
> done this? I was sort of thinking of an HP RPN type approach with a
> Traits-based calculator-like GUI.
>
> Brennan

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: fractions calculator

Jonathan Rocher
It would actually be nice to post educational tools that we build in one
place. There is a number of organization promoting teaching science (why
not using python), and these pieces of code could be shared. Last week at
AMS, Johnny Lin was promoting that as well as Nick Barnes from the climate
code foundation.

Jonathan

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Chris Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Brennan Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm thinking of writing a fractions calculator in Python with a Traits
> > GUI to help my kids.
>
> If you do get this done, could you let me know (or post here). I've
> been thinking about a number of small programs to help teach math --
> this could be a nice one.
>
> -Chris
>

>  Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone already
> > done this? I was sort of thinking of an HP RPN type approach with a
> > Traits-based calculator-like GUI.
> >
> > Brennan

> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer
>
> Emergency Response Division
> NOAA/NOS/OR&R            (206) 526-6959   voice
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
> Seattle, WA  98115       (206) 526-6317   main reception

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.
[hidden email]
1-512-536-1057
http://www.enthought.com

Re: fractions calculator

Adam Hughes
You guys should take some code from the chaco example
2d_function_inspector, particularly, the ability to input user-defined
functions.

Also some good info on it here if adapting that code is difficult...

http://lybniz2.sourceforge.net/safeeval.html

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Jonathan Rocher <[hidden email]>wrote:

> It would actually be nice to post educational tools that we build in one
> place. There is a number of organization promoting teaching science (why
> not using python), and these pieces of code could be shared. Last week at
> AMS, Johnny Lin was promoting that as well as Nick Barnes from the climate
> code foundation.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Chris Barker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Brennan Williams
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I'm thinking of writing a fractions calculator in Python with a Traits
> > > GUI to help my kids.
> >
> > If you do get this done, could you let me know (or post here). I've
> > been thinking about a number of small programs to help teach math --
> > this could be a nice one.
> >
> > -Chris
> >

> >  Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone already
> > > done this? I was sort of thinking of an HP RPN type approach with a
> > > Traits-based calculator-like GUI.
> > >
> > > Brennan
> >

> > --
> >
> > Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> > Oceanographer
> >
> > Emergency Response Division
> > NOAA/NOS/OR&R            (206) 526-6959   voice
> > 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
> > Seattle, WA  98115       (206) 526-6317   main reception
> >
> > [hidden email]

> Jonathan Rocher, PhD
> Scientific software developer
> Enthought, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> 1-512-536-1057
> http://www.enthought.com

Re: fractions calculator

Brennan Williams
On 4/02/2012 3:40 a.m., Robert Kern wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Brennan Williams
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I'm thinking of writing a fractions calculator in Python with a Traits
>> GUI to help my kids. Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone already
>> done this? I was sort of thinking of an HP RPN type approach with a
>> Traits-based calculator-like GUI.
> Here is an old piece of cr*p I put together once:
>
>    https://bitbucket.org/robertkern/rk48
>
>    $ python -m rk48.wxcalc
>
> It uses sympy for the math. There's a ton of things that you would
> need to do to make the GUI worth using, but the RPN part is pretty
> solid (and fun to play with).

Thanks for that. Have downloaded it and will take a look.

I think I might do the fractions calculator as a separate thing using
Python 2.6's fraction with a Traits GUI over the top.

And then I'l look at your RPN code. I always loved HP calculators so it
would be good to have a Traits based RPN calculator.

Cheers

Brennan