fixing up Pyglet/Qt backend for Enable and Chaco

fixing up Pyglet/Qt backend for Enable and Chaco

Peter Wang-2
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has gotten the Pyglet-based GL backend for Enable working with Qt, with Pyglet 1.1.4 or (more importantly) the 1.2alpha1 release?  Especially on a recent Cocoa-based Mac OS X?

This was a really handy thing to have, but it looks like it's going to require some Pyglet surgery to get 1.2 to play nicely with Qt...

-Peter

Re: fixing up Pyglet/Qt backend for Enable and Chaco

John Wiggins
Peter,
Out of curiosity, what's the use of Pyglet if you can use the OpenGL kiva backend with Qt or Wx?

-- John

On Feb 20, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Peter Wang wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has gotten the Pyglet-based GL backend for Enable working with Qt, with Pyglet 1.1.4 or (more importantly) the 1.2alpha1 release?  Especially on a recent Cocoa-based Mac OS X?
>
> This was a really handy thing to have, but it looks like it's going to require some Pyglet surgery to get 1.2 to play nicely with Qt...
>
> -Peter

Re: fixing up Pyglet/Qt backend for Enable and Chaco

Peter Wang-2
The Kiva GL backend uses pyglet to render text:

Also, it's nice to have the option of just using Pyglet for windowing if Qt or WX are not installed, but that's not a major use case, in my mind.

-Peter

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Peter Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Kiva GL backend uses pyglet to render text:
> https://github.com/enthought/enable/blob/master/kiva/gl.py#L15

Doh! I forgot about that!

> Also, it's nice to have the option of just using Pyglet for windowing if Qt
> or WX are not installed, but that's not a major use case, in my mind.

Nobody's complained much about the fact that it's been broken for two
years, so it hasn't been a very high priority.

To answer your original question, I was able to use the GL backend
with EPD 7.3. My pyglet version is 1.1.4 and ETS is the latest version
from github. The specific command I ran (from the Chaco examples) was
this:
$ ETS_TOOLKIT=qt4.gl python simple_line.py

As for 1.2 and Cocoa, the Cocoa bits might take more work but the most
recent version of Kiva is Carbon-free.

> -Peter

-- John

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM, John Wiggins <[hidden email]> wrote:
To answer your original question, I was able to use the GL backend
with EPD 7.3. My pyglet version is 1.1.4 and ETS is the latest version
from github. The specific command I ran (from the Chaco examples) was
this:
$ ETS_TOOLKIT=qt4.gl python simple_line.py
As for 1.2 and Cocoa, the Cocoa bits might take more work but the most
recent version of Kiva is Carbon-free.

OK... I need to get a 64-bit friendly Pyglet build on OS X.  This just might be easier to do on Linux.  Hmm...