fine control over view

David Ohlemacher
Hello,

I have a very large (in meters) surf plot of elevation data that I am displaying.  It's on the order of 30 km by 30 km.    I also have a vehicle path that I need to display. The path could be anywhere over the surface, but the path is relatively short, maybe 300 m. It can easily fold over itself (ie retrace its steps). It is this path I need to see clearly.

I would like one or more of the following:
- To be able to zoom and pan with much finer control.  When I zoom or pan now, my view point is either too far away from the path or I zoom right past it making the path behind my viewpoint.
- A nicer thing would be able to let the user set a range, azimuth and elevation and have my view point track the path's head.  Either autotracking or a user click to update the viewpoint would be wonderful.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
--
David Ohlemacher
Principle Software Engineer

. o .
. . o
o o o

Re: fine control over view

Gael Varoquaux
Hi David,

I suspect that your question relates to Mayavi.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 05:55:50PM -0500, David Ohlemacher wrote:
>     - To be able to zoom and pan with much finer control.  When I zoom or pan
>     now, my view point is either too far away from the path or I zoom right
>     past it making the path behind my viewpoint.

I don't have a clear cut answer to that, but something that could help
would be to change the interactor of the scene:
http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/tips.html#changing-the-interaction-with-a-scene

>     - A nicer thing would be able to let the user set a range, azimuth and
>     elevation and have my view point track the path's head.  Either
>     autotracking or a user click to update the viewpoint would be wonderful.

mlab.view should enable you to do that
http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/auto/mlab_camera.html#view

Hope this helps,

Gaël