distutils with EPD - having trouble building some SWIG libraries

distutils with EPD - having trouble building some SWIG libraries

lcota
It looks like the EPD python distribution uses mingw as its development environment - is this correct? Is it possible to replace this with a version of python built with VC2008?

I am having trouble building the SWIG library for a particular package - is it possible to change the compiler that distutils is trying to use for compilation?

Thanks,

- Luis

Re: distutils with EPD - having trouble building some SWIG libraries

Ilan Schnell
Hello Luis,

even though, the Python interpreter and almost all
packages in EPD are compiled using VC2008, the
default distutils compiler is set to mingw32, as mingw
is part of EPD.  The following file contains this default
setting:
C:\Python26\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg
If you remove this file, the default will be VC2008 again.

Hope that helps.

- Ilan

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM, luis cota <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like the EPD python distribution uses mingw as its development
> environment - is this correct? Is it possible to replace this with a version
> of python built with VC2008?
> I am having trouble building the SWIG library for a particular package - is
> it possible to change the compiler that distutils is trying to use for
> compilation?
> Thanks,
> - Luis

Re: distutils with EPD - having trouble building some SWIG libraries

lcota
Is there any particular reason EPD has mingw32 as the default compiler? Will changing this affect anything else when using EPD packages?

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ilan Schnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Luis,

even though, the Python interpreter and almost all
packages in EPD are compiled using VC2008, the
default distutils compiler is set to mingw32, as mingw
is part of EPD.  The following file contains this default
setting:
C:\Python26\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg
If you remove this file, the default will be VC2008 again.

Hope that helps.

- Ilan

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM, luis cota <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It looks like the EPD python distribution uses mingw as its development
> environment - is this correct? Is it possible to replace this with a version
> of python built with VC2008?
> I am having trouble building the SWIG library for a particular package - is
> it possible to change the compiler that distutils is trying to use for
> compilation?
> Thanks,
> - Luis

Re: distutils with EPD - having trouble building some SWIG libraries

Didrik Pinte-2
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM, luis cota <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any particular reason EPD has mingw32 as the default compiler?

I do not know how are the licensing conditions to redistribute MSVC in
EPD but I guess it is much more complex than doing it with mingw32. As
we do ship EPD with mingw32, it is easier to have it configured as
default compiler. I

> Will changing this affect anything else when using EPD packages?

No, it should not. They will just use msvc.

-- Didrik