chaco.shell

Christian K.
Hi,

using a fresh install of ETS from eggs on OS X Snow Leopard I cannot use
the chaco.shell commands. Whatever plot command I call, a frame opens
which stays gray and the busy cursor is shown.
This happens both in a python and ipython session.

Unfortunately there is no more debug information I could send...

Christian

Re: chaco.shell

Peter Wang
You need to make sure that IPython is running the GUI mainloop for
you.  This is typically done with the -wthread (for WX) or -qthread
(for Qt) options.

I'm not sure about how complete wxCocoa is, and it's only available as
wx2.9 (i.e. not available in the stable 2.8 series).  Thus, I presume
that you will be using Qt.  If so, you need to also set the
environment variable ETS_TOOLKIT=qt4.

HTH,
Peter

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Christian K. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> using a fresh install of ETS from eggs on OS X Snow Leopard I cannot use
> the chaco.shell commands. Whatever plot command I call, a frame opens
> which stays gray and the busy cursor is shown.
> This happens both in a python and ipython session.
>
> Unfortunately there is no more debug information I could send...
>
> Christian

Re: chaco.shell

Tony S Yu

On Jul 26, 2010, at 8:43 AM, Peter Wang wrote:

> You need to make sure that IPython is running the GUI mainloop for
> you.  This is typically done with the -wthread (for WX) or -qthread
> (for Qt) options.
>
> I'm not sure about how complete wxCocoa is, and it's only available as
> wx2.9 (i.e. not available in the stable 2.8 series).  Thus, I presume
> that you will be using Qt.  If so, you need to also set the
> environment variable ETS_TOOLKIT=qt4.
>
> HTH,
> Peter

Has Qt4 support been added to the Chaco shell? When I try to plot anything with it, I get the following traceback.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  method <module> in csh_test.py at line 3
    plt.plot((1, 2))
  method plot in csh_test.py at line 305
    cont = _do_plot_boilerplate(kwargs)
  method _do_plot_boilerplate in csh_test.py at line 273
    figure()
  method figure in csh_test.py at line 155
    win = session.new_window(name, title)
  method new_window in csh_test.py at line 61
    image_default_origin=self.prefs.image_default_origin,
TypeError: this constructor takes no arguments

Digging into the code shows that the Qt4 PlotWindow in enthought.chaco.shell.plot_window is just a stub (it's just a class definition with a pass statement). I'm on svn trunk r25689.

-Tony

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Christian K. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> using a fresh install of ETS from eggs on OS X Snow Leopard I cannot use
>> the chaco.shell commands. Whatever plot command I call, a frame opens
>> which stays gray and the busy cursor is shown.
>> This happens both in a python and ipython session.
>>
>> Unfortunately there is no more debug information I could send...
>>
>> Christian

Re: chaco.shell

Christian K.
Am 26.07.10 14:43, schrieb Peter Wang:
> You need to make sure that IPython is running the GUI mainloop for
> you.  This is typically done with the -wthread (for WX) or -qthread
> (for Qt) options.

right. That helps.

> I'm not sure about how complete wxCocoa is, and it's only available as
> wx2.9 (i.e. not available in the stable 2.8 series).  Thus, I presume
> that you will be using Qt.  If so, you need to also set the

No, I'm using Carbon based wxpython 2.8, since this was necessary for VTK.

Christian