busy symbol / loading bar / egg timer

billy.robertson
Hi,
I have constructed GUI and compiled it to an executable file thst performs a solve function when the button is clicked. The program works fine but it takes a few seconds to carry out the solve function and in that time windows says it's 'not responding' (it is but it just takes a few seconds). I would like to add some kind of egg timer symbol or loading bar so the user knows to just wait. I can't find any documentation on this. Is there a way? Thanks.

Re: busy symbol / loading bar / egg timer

Corran Webster
Hi Billy,

have a look at the pyface ProgressDialog (see pyface.i_progress_dialog for
the interface, you can import ProgressDialog from pyface.api).  This will
probably get you what you need, although you may need to have a pyface Timer
or thread to update or spin the progress bar if you can't do it from within
your main solver.

-- Corran

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM, billy.robertson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have constructed GUI and compiled it to an executable file thst performs
> solve function when the button is clicked. The program works fine but it
> takes a few seconds to carry out the solve function and in that time
> windows
> says it's 'not responding' (it is but it just takes a few seconds). I would
> like to add some kind of egg timer symbol or loading bar so the user knows
> to just wait. I can't find any documentation on this. Is there a way?
> Thanks.

Re: busy symbol / loading bar / egg timer

Jonathan March
Billy,

For an example, see pyface_dialog.py, at:
  https://github.com/enthought/pyface/tree/master/examples
or in the pyface* subdirectory of your EPD Examples directory
(from EPD 7.1 installation directory, at ./Examples/pyface-4.0.0/)

- Jonathan

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Corran Webster <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Billy,
>
> have a look at the pyface ProgressDialog (see pyface.i_progress_dialog for
> the interface, you can import ProgressDialog from pyface.api).  This will
> probably get you what you need, although you may need to have a pyface
> Timer
> or thread to update or spin the progress bar if you can't do it from within
> your main solver.
>
> -- Corran
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:06 AM, billy.robertson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have constructed GUI and compiled it to an executable file thst
> performs
> > solve function when the button is clicked. The program works fine but it
> > takes a few seconds to carry out the solve function and in that time
> > windows
> > says it's 'not responding' (it is but it just takes a few seconds). I
> would
> > like to add some kind of egg timer symbol or loading bar so the user
> knows
> > to just wait. I can't find any documentation on this. Is there a way?
> > Thanks.

Re: busy symbol / loading bar / egg timer

Didrik Pinte-2
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Corran Webster <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Billy,
>
> have a look at the pyface ProgressDialog (see pyface.i_progress_dialog for
> the interface, you can import ProgressDialog from pyface.api).  This will
> probably get you what you need, although you may need to have a pyface Timer
> or thread to update or spin the progress bar if you can't do it from within
> your main solver.
>
> -- Corran

The set_busy() method on the GUI that you can import from pyface.api
can also be an easy way to interact with the user.

-- Didrik