Z axis up only on surf()

David Ohlemacher
Hello list,

How can I constrain my visualization so that the z axis is always
displayed up as the user interacts with it?    Now it rotates in any
direction, but only 'z up' makes sense for my data.  This is difficult
for the user.

Alternatively, I added a trait widget that reorientates my surf() if
clicked.  Having to click it is silly.   How can I get notified when the
user moves the plot?

Regards,

David

--
David Ohlemacher
Principle Software Engineer

. o .
. . o
o o o

Re: Z axis up only on surf()

Gael Varoquaux
On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 10:47:32AM -0400, David Ohlemacher wrote:
> How can I constrain my visualization so that the z axis is always
> displayed up as the user interacts with it?    Now it rotates in any
> direction, but only 'z up' makes sense for my data.  This is difficult
> for the user.

The best I can tell you is to try out a few 'Interactors':
http://github.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/tips.html#changing-the-interaction-with-a-scene

To get the list of interactors that you may want to try, just tab
complete on 'tvtk.InteractorStyle' in IPython.

HTH,

Gael