Why any applications starts so slowly

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why any applications starts so slowly

Ali Tlisov
When I runing traitsUI based application or Chaco plot the starting
process takes  10 - 15 sec. Why so long? My computer is running on
4-core processor and memory is far enougth. By the way I'm using windows
XP if it makes sense.

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why any applications starts so slowly

bryce hendrix-2
On 07/07/2010 05:42 AM, aliko wrote:
> When I runing traitsUI based application or Chaco plot the starting
> process takes  10 - 15 sec. Why so long? My computer is running on
> 4-core processor and memory is far enougth. By the way I'm using windows
> XP if it makes sense.
>    

Blame it on Python's import mechanism (and to a lesser extent, XP). When
a Python app starts up it reads hundreds/thousands of files to import
everything necessary. Traits and Wx magnify this issue.

Bryce
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why any applications starts so slowly

Peter Wang
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM, bryce hendrix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/07/2010 05:42 AM, aliko wrote:
>> When I runing traitsUI based application or Chaco plot the starting
>> process takes  10 - 15 sec. Why so long? My computer is running on
>> 4-core processor and memory is far enougth. By the way I'm using windows
>> XP if it makes sense.
>>
>
> Blame it on Python's import mechanism (and to a lesser extent, XP). When
> a Python app starts up it reads hundreds/thousands of files to import
> everything necessary. Traits and Wx magnify this issue.

This should also only happen the first time you fire things up; after
that, the system's filesystem cache should speed things up
dramatically.

-Peter
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why any applications starts so slowly

Ali Tlisov
Peter Wang пишет:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM, bryce hendrix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 07/07/2010 05:42 AM, aliko wrote:
>>> When I runing traitsUI based application or Chaco plot the starting
>>> process takes  10 - 15 sec. Why so long? My computer is running on
>>> 4-core processor and memory is far enougth. By the way I'm using windows
>>> XP if it makes sense.
>>>
>> Blame it on Python's import mechanism (and to a lesser extent, XP). When
>> a Python app starts up it reads hundreds/thousands of files to import
>> everything necessary. Traits and Wx magnify this issue.
>
> This should also only happen the first time you fire things up; after
> that, the system's filesystem cache should speed things up
> dramatically.
>
> -Peter

Yes, the second time I'm running app it's takes approx 5 sec not 15.
Still not so quick as would like it to be...
Thank You for explanation!

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev