VirtualGL and Mayavi: problem with mlab python lib

VirtualGL and Mayavi: problem with mlab python lib

Buffat Marc
Hello
I am using Mayavi python lib to develop a python application to analyze
large CFD results
and I wanted to use it with virtualGL, but I have a problem when loading
mlab libraries:
here is the diagnostic with a simple example:
I run vglconnect to open a shell on the virtualGL server
then in the term i run ipython and try to import mayavi.mlab

mbuffat@p2chpd-visu7 test]$ /opt/VirtualGL/bin/vglrun ipython -wthread
[VGL] NOTICE: Automatically setting VGL_CLIENT environment variable to
[VGL]    134.214.25.24, the IP address of your SSh client.
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Dec  7 2011, 20:48:22)

IPython 0.10 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]: import mayavi.mlab as mlab

then it locks

Any hint on how to run mayavi mlab on virtualGL server

Marc

Re: VirtualGL and Mayavi: problem with mlab python lib

Buffat Marc

After digging with ipython, I found that the the problem was
in the initialisation of vtk in user_defined.py
the program locks at the line 6 in user_defined.py in

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/mayavi-4.2.0-py2.6-linux-x86_64.egg/mayavi
/filters

# Enthought library imports.
from tvtk.tools.tvtk_doc import TVTKFilterChooser, TVTK_FILTERS

If I comment the line below, the program now runs with virtualGL
I don't know why, but it is a workaround for me

Marc