Video tutorials for ETS Overview

Adam Hughes
Hey everyone,

Last semester my buddy and I made a presentation of ETS to our university
physics department.  We gave an overview of traits, traitsui, chaco, mayavi
and some miscellaneous other topics from ETS.  A couple of Enthought
developers looked it over and gave me the green light to post it as open
source tutorial.  I finally got it split properly and edited for youtube
and am hosting it.  It may be a nice resource to introduce people to ETS.

I've tried in the comments and preface of the video to be clear that I'm
not affiliated with Enthought and am not an authoritative resource on ETS
or computer science in general.  If any developers would like me to alter
the youtube comments in any way, I'd be happy to.

Here are links to the video and examples used therein.

(full vid link)
http://www.4shared.com/zip/W5p6c0oT/ETS_Screencast_Files.html

(example .py files from the video)
http://www.4shared.com/zip/JFWCfJ3D/Example_Files.html

(part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHoU4qvsNs

(part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjs-Zs3X6QY

(part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDI22rWDnDA

Re: Video tutorials for ETS Overview

Jonathan Rocher
Thanks Adam for posting this.

Jonathan

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Last semester my buddy and I made a presentation of ETS to our university
> physics department.  We gave an overview of traits, traitsui, chaco, mayavi
> and some miscellaneous other topics from ETS.  A couple of Enthought
> developers looked it over and gave me the green light to post it as open
> source tutorial.  I finally got it split properly and edited for youtube
> and am hosting it.  It may be a nice resource to introduce people to ETS.
>
> I've tried in the comments and preface of the video to be clear that I'm
> not affiliated with Enthought and am not an authoritative resource on ETS
> or computer science in general.  If any developers would like me to alter
> the youtube comments in any way, I'd be happy to.
>
> Here are links to the video and examples used therein.
>
> (full vid link)
> http://www.4shared.com/zip/W5p6c0oT/ETS_Screencast_Files.html
>
> (example .py files from the video)
> http://www.4shared.com/zip/JFWCfJ3D/Example_Files.html
>
> (part 1)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHoU4qvsNs
>
> (part 2)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjs-Zs3X6QY
>
> (part 3)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDI22rWDnDA

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.
[hidden email]
1-512-536-1057
http://www.enthought.com

Re: Video tutorials for ETS Overview

Adam Hughes
No problem.  Thanks for looking it over a few months back.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Jonathan Rocher <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks Adam for posting this.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > Last semester my buddy and I made a presentation of ETS to our university
> > physics department.  We gave an overview of traits, traitsui, chaco,
> mayavi
> > and some miscellaneous other topics from ETS.  A couple of Enthought
> > developers looked it over and gave me the green light to post it as open
> > source tutorial.  I finally got it split properly and edited for youtube
> > and am hosting it.  It may be a nice resource to introduce people to ETS.
> >
> > I've tried in the comments and preface of the video to be clear that I'm
> > not affiliated with Enthought and am not an authoritative resource on ETS
> > or computer science in general.  If any developers would like me to alter
> > the youtube comments in any way, I'd be happy to.
> >
> > Here are links to the video and examples used therein.
> >
> > (full vid link)
> > http://www.4shared.com/zip/W5p6c0oT/ETS_Screencast_Files.html
> >
> > (example .py files from the video)
> > http://www.4shared.com/zip/JFWCfJ3D/Example_Files.html
> >
> > (part 1)
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHoU4qvsNs
> >
> > (part 2)
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjs-Zs3X6QY
> >
> > (part 3)
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDI22rWDnDA

> Jonathan Rocher, PhD
> Scientific software developer
> Enthought, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> 1-512-536-1057
> http://www.enthought.com

Re: Video tutorials for ETS Overview

_jelle_
This is a *wonderful*! Traits[UI] is great, but this kind of material is
 somewhat lacking. So, thanks again...

Re: Video tutorials for ETS Overview

Jonathan Rocher
Thanks for the feedback Jelle. We agree and as we are improving our
website, we will make the EPD webinars about ETS packages free and open
access in the coming days.

Best,
Jonathan

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 01:52:22PM +0000, jelle wrote:
> This is a *wonderful*! Traits[UI] is great, but this kind of material is
>  somewhat lacking. So, thanks again...

Yes, this is very useful. It should get more air. If someone could post a
blog post on Enthough's blog, and tweet it, it would be great:
Enthought's blog is syndicated on planet.scipy.org

Gaël

Re: Video tutorials for ETS Overview

Adam Hughes
Thanks Jelle,