Using TraitsUI from iPython notebook?

Des.P
Is there a way to use configure_traits() and edit_traits() from within an ipython notebook? I just tried edit_traits() in a notebook started up with "--pylab=inline", and the traits UI popped up but was unresponsive.

Using EPD7.3 with 0.13 iPython.

Thanks!

Re: Using TraitsUI from iPython notebook?

Fred
Le 22/10/2012 16:51, Des.P a écrit :
> Is there a way to use configure_traits() and edit_traits() from
> within an ipython notebook? I just tried edit_traits() in a notebook
> started up with "--pylab=inline", and the traits UI popped up but was
> unresponsive.
and with --gui=wx (or Qt backend, for instance)?

> Using EPD7.3 with 0.13 iPython.
>
> Thanks!

Fred

Re: Using TraitsUI from iPython notebook?

Des.P
Thanks, Fred. I tried starting the notebook without and with --gui=wx, and --gui=qt. The pop-ups did not respond with edit_traits(), they did respond with configure_traits() but the UIs themselves seemed somewhat weird and different (table-editor appears with no rows) from command-line of IDE usage.

Finally I tried doing this in the notebook itself:
ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'
And now at least configure_traits() seems to work from that notebook and the UI looks the same as it does in my IDE or command line.

Is traitsUI supposed to work from a notebook, and is there a standard recommended way to use it (e.g. ETSConfig.toolkit vs. --gui=qt vs. ...)?

Thanks!

On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Fred wrote:

> Le 22/10/2012 16:51, Des.P a écrit :
>> Is there a way to use configure_traits() and edit_traits() from
>> within an ipython notebook? I just tried edit_traits() in a notebook
>> started up with "--pylab=inline", and the traits UI popped up but was
>> unresponsive.
> and with --gui=wx (or Qt backend, for instance)?
>>
>> Using EPD7.3 with 0.13 iPython.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Fred

Re: Using TraitsUI from iPython notebook?

Jonathan Rocher
Hi,

Building traitsui GUIs from the ipython notebook should work the same as from a regular ipython console. The difference between configure_traits and edit_traits is that the first one creates a GUI event loop before building the traitsUI window in it. That's what makes it responsive or not. Alternatively you can manually start the GUI event loop by specifying --gui=?? when you create ipython, for example:
ipython notebook --gui=wx
Then you should use edit_traits() and the UI element will be responsive.

Finally, ETSConfig allows you to set the backend at your script runtime instead of when you start python/ipython. This is what I do the most so that I don't need to set the value of the ETSConfig environment variable, or set the gui switch when starting python/ipython.

To conclude, the following code is what I do the most and works from within the ipython notebook started with ipython notebook (version 0.13):
from traits.etsconfig.api import ETSConfig
ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'

from traits.api import HasTraits, Enum
from traitsui.api import View

class A(HasTraits):
    x = Enum(["foo","bar"])

a = A()
a.configure_traits()

HTH,
Jonathan

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Des.P <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Fred. I tried starting the notebook without and with --gui=wx, and --gui=qt. The pop-ups did not respond with edit_traits(), they did respond with configure_traits() but the UIs themselves seemed somewhat weird and different (table-editor appears with no rows) from command-line of IDE usage.

Finally I tried doing this in the notebook itself:
ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'
And now at least configure_traits() seems to work from that notebook and the UI looks the same as it does in my IDE or command line.

Is traitsUI supposed to work from a notebook, and is there a standard recommended way to use it (e.g. ETSConfig.toolkit vs. --gui=qt vs. ...)?

Thanks!

On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Fred wrote:

> Le 22/10/2012 16:51, Des.P a écrit :
>> Is there a way to use configure_traits() and edit_traits() from
>> within an ipython notebook? I just tried edit_traits() in a notebook
>> started up with "--pylab=inline", and the traits UI popped up but was
>> unresponsive.
> and with --gui=wx (or Qt backend, for instance)?
>>
>> Using EPD7.3 with 0.13 iPython.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Fred

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.
[hidden email]
1-512-536-1057
http://www.enthought.com

Re: Using TraitsUI from iPython notebook?

Des.P
Thanks, Jonathan.

I would like to follow your advice, but am getting some errors. When I try this at the top of a new notebook, I get:

from traits.api import *
from traits.etsconfig.api import ETSConfig
from traitsui.api import *
ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'

ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-2-8a5daaa83ef1> in <module>()
----> 1 ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/traits/etsconfig/etsconfig.py in _set_toolkit(self, toolkit)
    208         if self._toolkit and self._toolkit != toolkit:
    209             raise ValueError, "cannot set toolkit to %s because it has "\
--> 210                             "already been set to %s" % (toolkit, self._toolkit)
    211
    212         self._toolkit = toolkit

ValueError: cannot set toolkit to qt4 because it has already been set to wx

Any idea what might be causing this? I suspect the other error below on starting ipython-qtconsole may be related, but am equally clueless about this. I think both these worked until recently.

$ ipython-qtconsole
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/ipython-qtconsole", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('ipython==0.12.1', 'gui_scripts', 'ipython-qtconsole')()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/distribute-0.6.26-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 337, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/distribute-0.6.26-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2283, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/distribute-0.6.26-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 1993, in load
    entry = __import__(self.module_name, globals(),globals(), ['__name__'])
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/frontend/qt/console/qtconsoleapp.py", line 30, in <module>
    from IPython.external.qt import QtCore, QtGui
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/external/qt.py", line 42, in <module>
    raise ImportError('Cannot import PySide >= 1.0.3 or PyQt4 >= 4.7')
ImportError: Cannot import PySide >= 1.0.3 or PyQt4 >= 4.7

I am running EPD 7.3 on OSX 10.6.8, updated iPython to 0.13.
Any pointers much appreciated!

Des

On Oct 23, 2012, at 3:11 PM, Jonathan Rocher wrote:

Hi,

Building traitsui GUIs from the ipython notebook should work the same as from a regular ipython console. The difference between configure_traits and edit_traits is that the first one creates a GUI event loop before building the traitsUI window in it. That's what makes it responsive or not. Alternatively you can manually start the GUI event loop by specifying --gui=?? when you create ipython, for example:
ipython notebook --gui=wx
Then you should use edit_traits() and the UI element will be responsive.

Finally, ETSConfig allows you to set the backend at your script runtime instead of when you start python/ipython. This is what I do the most so that I don't need to set the value of the ETSConfig environment variable, or set the gui switch when starting python/ipython.

To conclude, the following code is what I do the most and works from within the ipython notebook started with ipython notebook (version 0.13):
from traits.etsconfig.api import ETSConfig
ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'

from traits.api import HasTraits, Enum
from traitsui.api import View

class A(HasTraits):
    x = Enum(["foo","bar"])

a = A()
a.configure_traits()

HTH,
Jonathan

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Des.P <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Fred. I tried starting the notebook without and with --gui=wx, and --gui=qt. The pop-ups did not respond with edit_traits(), they did respond with configure_traits() but the UIs themselves seemed somewhat weird and different (table-editor appears with no rows) from command-line of IDE usage.

Finally I tried doing this in the notebook itself:
ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'
And now at least configure_traits() seems to work from that notebook and the UI looks the same as it does in my IDE or command line.

Is traitsUI supposed to work from a notebook, and is there a standard recommended way to use it (e.g. ETSConfig.toolkit vs. --gui=qt vs. ...)?

Thanks!

On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Fred wrote:

> Le 22/10/2012 16:51, Des.P a écrit :
>> Is there a way to use configure_traits() and edit_traits() from
>> within an ipython notebook? I just tried edit_traits() in a notebook
>> started up with "--pylab=inline", and the traits UI popped up but was
>> unresponsive.
> and with --gui=wx (or Qt backend, for instance)?
>>
>> Using EPD7.3 with 0.13 iPython.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Fred

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.
[hidden email]
1-512-536-1057
http://www.enthought.com

Re: Using TraitsUI from iPython notebook?

Jonathan March
Des, This may not fully solve your problem, but since you are showing one traceback from Python 2.7 and one from Python 2.6, I suggest that you remove or fully bypass your old Python install before proceeding.
Jonathan

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Des.P <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Thanks!

On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Fred wrote:

> Le 22/10/2012 16:51, Des.P a écrit :
>> Is there a way to use configure_traits() and edit_traits() from
>> within an ipython notebook? I just tried edit_traits() in a notebook
>> started up with "--pylab=inline", and the traits UI popped up but was
>> unresponsive.
> and with --gui=wx (or Qt backend, for instance)?
>>
>> Using EPD7.3 with 0.13 iPython.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Fred

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.
[hidden email]
http://www.enthought.com

Re: Using TraitsUI from iPython notebook?

Ah, Google to the rescue

I must put ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4' before any other ETS import, or the earlier import will set default to wx.

The corresponding ipython-qtconsole error happened because I still had an ipython notebook server open in which the same error had already happened, seems OK now.

Why one uses 2.6 and the other 2.7 I don't even need to know, as long as it works :-)

All set now, thank you!