Two problems with ListEditor

Stephan Helma
Hi all,

I just noticed two problems with the ListEditor:

1. Plain ListEditor:
   When clicking on the little arrow button you get some items to order
   the list (move up/down, move to top/bottom). Whereas the item is
   moved in the actual list, the display is not updated correctly.

2. ListEditor as notebook:
   If the list editor is displayed as a notebook
   (ListEditor('use_notebook=True')) and there is only one item in the
   list, no tab is shown. This is especially annoying if you set
   'deletable=True' and want to delete this very last item. Is there a
   hidden keyword to show the tab of this last item?

I'm wondering if anybody else has these problems? Or do they work as
indented?

My system:
   WinXP
   Python 2.6.6
   Traits 3.2.0
   TraitsGUI 3.1.0
   TraitsBackendWX-3.2.0
   wx 2.8

Stephan

Re: Two problems with ListEditor

Stephan Helma
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:32:29AM +0100, Stephan Helma wrote:
Hi all,

I haven't got any answer yet. I assume that is due that I haven't
included instructions how to reproduce these two behaviours:

1. Open the "Advanced > List editors demo" and click on the tab "List".
When you click on the let's say top left arrow and select "Move Down"
the entry "Dave" (which was the top most entry in the list" does not
move down.

2. Opent the "Advanced > List editors demo" and click on the tab named
"Notebook". Start deleting all list items by clicking on the crosses in
the tab. After I have deleted the second to last I end up with two lines
instead of the tab (see attached screenshot with to tabs and with "one"
tab).

Stephan

> I just noticed two problems with the ListEditor:
>
> 1. Plain ListEditor:
>    When clicking on the little arrow button you get some items to order
>    the list (move up/down, move to top/bottom). Whereas the item is
>    moved in the actual list, the display is not updated correctly.
>
> 2. ListEditor as notebook:
>    If the list editor is displayed as a notebook
>    (ListEditor('use_notebook=True')) and there is only one item in the
>    list, no tab is shown. This is especially annoying if you set
>    'deletable=True' and want to delete this very last item. Is there a
>    hidden keyword to show the tab of this last item?
>
> I'm wondering if anybody else has these problems? Or do they work as
> indented?
>
> My system:
>    WinXP
>    Python 2.6.6
>    Traits 3.2.0
>    TraitsGUI 3.1.0
>    TraitsBackendWX-3.2.0
>    wx 2.8
>
> Stephan

screenshot.png (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Two problems with ListEditor

bryce hendrix-2
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Stephan Helma <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:32:29AM +0100, Stephan Helma wrote:
Hi all,

I haven't got any answer yet. I assume that is due that I haven't
included instructions how to reproduce these two behaviours:

1. Open the "Advanced > List editors demo" and click on the tab "List".
When you click on the let's say top left arrow and select "Move Down"
the entry "Dave" (which was the top most entry in the list" does not
move down.

2. Opent the "Advanced > List editors demo" and click on the tab named
"Notebook". Start deleting all list items by clicking on the crosses in
the tab. After I have deleted the second to last I end up with two lines
instead of the tab (see attached screenshot with to tabs and with "one"
tab).

Stephan,

#1 definitely sounds like a bug, and #2 is a "feature" which we should make optional. I probably won't get a chance to look at either of them for a week or so. If anyone else can submit a patch, I'll review it and commit it if it looks okay.

Re: Two problems with ListEditor

Stephan Helma
On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 10:52:14AM -0500, bryce hendrix wrote:

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for the answer.

Sorry I have no time to look into it myself, since I will be away for
the next two weeks.

Stephan

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Stephan Helma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:32:29AM +0100, Stephan Helma wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I haven't got any answer yet. I assume that is due that I haven't
> > included instructions how to reproduce these two behaviours:
> >
> > 1. Open the "Advanced > List editors demo" and click on the tab "List".
> > When you click on the let's say top left arrow and select "Move Down"
> > the entry "Dave" (which was the top most entry in the list" does not
> > move down.
> >
> > 2. Opent the "Advanced > List editors demo" and click on the tab named
> > "Notebook". Start deleting all list items by clicking on the crosses in
> > the tab. After I have deleted the second to last I end up with two lines
> > instead of the tab (see attached screenshot with to tabs and with "one"
> > tab).
> >

> Stephan,
>
> #1 definitely sounds like a bug, and #2 is a "feature" which we should make
> optional. I probably won't get a chance to look at either of them for a week
> or so. If anyone else can submit a patch, I'll review it and commit it if it
> looks okay.
>
> Bryce

Re: Two problems with ListEditor

Corran Webster

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM, bryce hendrix <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bryce, Stephan,

An additional data point for #1 - it appears that the list is being updated, but the UI is not.  If you switch to the table tab, you will see that "Dave" has indeed shifted down, and if you insert a new element, you will see that the UI updates and the order is what you would expect.

-- Corran

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Corran Webster <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I've just commited a fix for #1.  Bryce, you may want to review it to make sure I'm not doing something crazy.

-- Corran

Re: Two problems with ListEditor

Alexander Held
On 29.10.2010 11:32, Stephan Helma wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed two problems with the ListEditor:
>
> 1. Plain ListEditor:
>     When clicking on the little arrow button you get some items to order
>     the list (move up/down, move to top/bottom). Whereas the item is
>     moved in the actual list, the display is not updated correctly.
>
> 2. ListEditor as notebook:
>     If the list editor is displayed as a notebook
>     (ListEditor('use_notebook=True')) and there is only one item in the
>     list, no tab is shown. This is especially annoying if you set
>     'deletable=True' and want to delete this very last item. Is there a
>     hidden keyword to show the tab of this last item?
>
> I'm wondering if anybody else has these problems? Or do they work as
> indented?
>
> My system:
>     WinXP
>     Python 2.6.6
>     Traits 3.2.0
>     TraitsGUI 3.1.0
>     TraitsBackendWX-3.2.0
>     wx 2.8
>
> Stephan

Hi, I also ran into problem #2 (with wx backend). Is there an option
yet, to always show the tabs in a notebook style ListEditor (except the
List being empty)? Or can anyone point me to the place where I can
change it in the traitsui code?

Alexander

On 19.09.2012 11:41, Alexander Held wrote:

> On 29.10.2010 11:32, Stephan Helma wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just noticed two problems with the ListEditor:
>>
>> 1. Plain ListEditor:
>>      When clicking on the little arrow button you get some items to order
>>      the list (move up/down, move to top/bottom). Whereas the item is
>>      moved in the actual list, the display is not updated correctly.
>>
>> 2. ListEditor as notebook:
>>      If the list editor is displayed as a notebook
>>      (ListEditor('use_notebook=True')) and there is only one item in the
>>      list, no tab is shown. This is especially annoying if you set
>>      'deletable=True' and want to delete this very last item. Is there a
>>      hidden keyword to show the tab of this last item?
>>
>> I'm wondering if anybody else has these problems? Or do they work as
>> indented?
>>
>> My system:
>>      WinXP
>>      Python 2.6.6
>>      Traits 3.2.0
>>      TraitsGUI 3.1.0
>>      TraitsBackendWX-3.2.0
>>      wx 2.8
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> Hi, I also ran into problem #2 (with wx backend). Is there an option
> yet, to always show the tabs in a notebook style ListEditor (except the
> List being empty)? Or can anyone point me to the place where I can
> change it in the traitsui code?
>
> Alexander

Never mind, I just found the according parameter for ListEditor:

dock_style='tab'