Trouble using full_size

Steven Silvester
First, thank you for the traits libraries, they have been a
revelation.  I no longer cringe when my coworkers ask me to write a
GUI.

I have been unable to get the "full_size" attribute of an Item to work properly.

I am using the wx backend on Ubuntu 12.04, Traits 4.0.0, Python 2.7.3.

The example below produces two editors that are both full width:

from traits.api import HasTraits, Str
from traitsui.api import View, Item

class Test(HasTraits):
     a = Str('test')

     traits_view = View(Item('a', full_size=False), 'a', width=0.5)

t = Test().configure_traits()

What am I missing?

Regards,

Steven Silvester

Re: Trouble using full_size

Pietro Berkes
Hi Steven,

I'm afraid the 'full_size' attribute has not been fully implemented yet (I filed a ticket). A combination of the attributes 'resizable' and 'springy' should have the desired effect.

Best,
Pietro

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Steven Silvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
First, thank you for the traits libraries, they have been a
revelation.  I no longer cringe when my coworkers ask me to write a
GUI.

I have been unable to get the "full_size" attribute of an Item to work properly.

I am using the wx backend on Ubuntu 12.04, Traits 4.0.0, Python 2.7.3.

The example below produces two editors that are both full width:

from traits.api import HasTraits, Str
from traitsui.api import View, Item

class Test(HasTraits):
     a = Str('test')

     traits_view = View(Item('a', full_size=False), 'a', width=0.5)

t = Test().configure_traits()

What am I missing?

Regards,

Steven Silvester

Re: Trouble using full_size

Jonathan March
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tangentially... it sounds like you might be missing our new UI construction package, enaml. (If you were using it, your phrase above might have been "I am now ecstatic when my coworkers ask me to write a GUI" ;) ) Enaml makes UI layout adjustment MUCH more flexible and powerful. Though of course for an existing TraitsUI app, immediate conversion to enaml may not be your optimal course.

best,
Jonathan

Regards,

Steven Silvester

Re: Trouble using full_size

Steven Silvester
Thank you Pietro and Jonathan, looks I will be switching to enaml in my next spiral.

Regards,

Steven Silvester

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Steven Silvester <<a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;Steven.silvester@ieee.org&#39;);" target="_blank">Steven.silvester@...> wrote:
[...]

Tiago Pereira
A quick question: does enaml work with PyQt? References in the webpage
suggest only PySide.

Thanks,

Tiago

On 16/07/12 3:35 PM, Jonathan March wrote:

> I think you'll enjoy it. Note that while the enaml docs have not kept up
> with changes in architecture, the extensive examples have.
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Steven Silvester
>
>     Thank you Pietro and Jonathan, looks I will be switching to enaml in
>     my next spiral.
>

>     Regards,
>
>     Steven Silvester
>

>     On Friday, July 13, 2012, Jonathan March wrote:
>
>         On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Pietro Berkes
>         <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>             Hi Steven,
>
>             I'm afraid the 'full_size' attribute has not been fully
>             implemented yet (I filed a ticket). A combination of the
>             attributes 'resizable' and 'springy' should have the desired
>             effect.
>
>             Best,
>             Pietro
>

>             On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Steven Silvester
>             <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>                 First, thank you for the traits libraries, they have been a
>                 revelation.  I no longer cringe when my coworkers ask me
>                 to write a
>                 GUI.
>

>                 I have been unable to get the "full_size" attribute of
>                 an Item to work properly.
>
>                 I am using the wx backend on Ubuntu 12.04, Traits 4.0.0,
>                 Python 2.7.3.
>
>                 The example below produces two editors that are both
>                 full width:
>
>                 ---------------------------------------------------
>                 from traits.api import HasTraits, Str
>                 from traitsui.api import View, Item
>

>                 class Test(HasTraits):
>                       a = Str('test')
>
>                       traits_view = View(Item('a', full_size=False),
>                 'a', width=0.5)
>
>                 t = Test().configure_traits()
>                 ---------------------------------------------------
>
>                 What am I missing?
>

>         Tangentially... it sounds like you might be missing our new UI
>         construction package, enaml
>         <https://github.com/enthought/enaml>. (If you were using it,
>         your phrase above might have been "I am now ecstatic when my
>         coworkers ask me to write a GUI" ;) ) Enaml makes UI layout
>         adjustment MUCH more flexible and powerful. Though of course for
>         an existing TraitsUI app, immediate conversion to enaml may not
>         be your optimal course.
>
>         best,
>         Jonathan
>

>                 Regards,
>
>                 Steven Silvester

Re: Trouble using full_size

Jonathan March
Yes it does.
http://docs.enthought.com/enaml/

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Tiago Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
A quick question: does enaml work with PyQt? References in the webpage
suggest only PySide.

Thanks,

Tiago

On 16/07/12 3:35 PM, Jonathan March wrote:
> I think you'll enjoy it. Note that while the enaml docs have not kept up
> with changes in architecture, the extensive examples have.
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Steven Silvester
>
>     Thank you Pietro and Jonathan, looks I will be switching to enaml in
>     my next spiral.
>

>     Regards,
>
>     Steven Silvester
>

>     On Friday, July 13, 2012, Jonathan March wrote:
>
>         On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Pietro Berkes
>         <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>             Hi Steven,
>
>             I'm afraid the 'full_size' attribute has not been fully
>             implemented yet (I filed a ticket). A combination of the
>             attributes 'resizable' and 'springy' should have the desired
>             effect.
>
>             Best,
>             Pietro
>

>             On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Steven Silvester
>             <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>                 First, thank you for the traits libraries, they have been a
>                 revelation.  I no longer cringe when my coworkers ask me
>                 to write a
>                 GUI.
>

>                 I have been unable to get the "full_size" attribute of
>                 an Item to work properly.
>
>                 I am using the wx backend on Ubuntu 12.04, Traits 4.0.0,
>                 Python 2.7.3.
>
>                 The example below produces two editors that are both
>                 full width:
>
>                 ---------------------------------------------------
>                 from traits.api import HasTraits, Str
>                 from traitsui.api import View, Item
>

>                 class Test(HasTraits):
>                       a = Str('test')
>
>                       traits_view = View(Item('a', full_size=False),
>                 'a', width=0.5)
>
>                 t = Test().configure_traits()
>                 ---------------------------------------------------
>
>                 What am I missing?
>

>         Tangentially... it sounds like you might be missing our new UI
>         construction package, enaml
>         <https://github.com/enthought/enaml>. (If you were using it,
>         your phrase above might have been "I am now ecstatic when my
>         coworkers ask me to write a GUI" ;) ) Enaml makes UI layout
>         adjustment MUCH more flexible and powerful. Though of course for
>         an existing TraitsUI app, immediate conversion to enaml may not
>         be your optimal course.
>
>         best,
>         Jonathan
>

>                 Regards,
>
>                 Steven Silvester

Re: Trouble using full_size

Chris Colbert

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes it does.

However, I do all primary development using PySide, so there may be some corner cases that don't work with PyQt. Such cases should be considered bugs and I would appreciate bug reports for such instances.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Tiago Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
A quick question: does enaml work with PyQt? References in the webpage
suggest only PySide.

As an aside, why do you wish to use PyQt over PySide?

Re: Trouble using full_size

Tiago Pereira
On 16/7/12 7:45 PM, Chris Colbert wrote:
> As an aside, why do you wish to use PyQt over PySide?

No particular reason. I have PyQt just because when I installed on OS X,
PySide from MacPorts was not working (and it is a pain in the ass to
install it from source!). So I installed PyQt from MacPorts instead. But
I should try PySide one day.

Cheers,

Tiago