Traits for Python 3?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Traits for Python 3?

Mark Summerfield
Hi,

I've just started reading about Traits and it seems that this package is
something I've been looking for for a long time. But when I tried to install it
with Python 3.2 I got an error message that suggests it is still Python 2 only.

Is there any Traits for Python 3 in prospect (any alpha source I could try?).

Or are there alternatives that provide the same kind of functionality but which
already work with Python 3?

Thanks!

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

Pietro Berkes
Hi Mark,

thank you for your interest in Traits. We regularly discuss the future of ETS with respect to Python 3, but, at the moment we do not have any concrete plan for porting. This is mainly because there has been little request for Python 3 support.

I'm afraid I also do not know of a Traits-like library that works with Python 3.

Best regards,
Pietro


On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Mark Summerfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've just started reading about Traits and it seems that this package is
something I've been looking for for a long time. But when I tried to install it
with Python 3.2 I got an error message that suggests it is still Python 2 only.

Is there any Traits for Python 3 in prospect (any alpha source I could try?).

Or are there alternatives that provide the same kind of functionality but which
already work with Python 3?

Thanks!

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev



--
Pietro Berkes
Scientific software developer
Enthought UK



_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

Phil Thompson
On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:54:02 +0100, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> thank you for your interest in Traits. We regularly discuss the future
of
> ETS with respect to Python 3, but, at the moment we do not have any
> concrete plan for porting. This is mainly because there has been little
> request for Python 3 support.
>
> I'm afraid I also do not know of a Traits-like library that works with
> Python 3.

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/dip/index.html

Phil
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

Pietro Berkes
Thanks for the link, Phil. I could not find a reference to Python 3 in the "dip" documentation, but I see the information is in the downloads page.
P.


On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:54:02 +0100, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> thank you for your interest in Traits. We regularly discuss the future
of
> ETS with respect to Python 3, but, at the moment we do not have any
> concrete plan for porting. This is mainly because there has been little
> request for Python 3 support.
>
> I'm afraid I also do not know of a Traits-like library that works with
> Python 3.

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/dip/index.html

Phil
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev



--
Pietro Berkes
Scientific software developer
Enthought UK



_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

sergey miryanov
In introduction section:
"This is the user guide for dip. dip is an application development and
integration framework for Python and toolkits based on PyQt. It
supports Python v2.6, v2.7 and v3."

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the link, Phil. I could not find a reference to Python 3 in the
> "dip" documentation, but I see the information is in the downloads page.
> P.
>
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:54:02 +0100, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Mark,
>> >
>> > thank you for your interest in Traits. We regularly discuss the future
>> of
>> > ETS with respect to Python 3, but, at the moment we do not have any
>> > concrete plan for porting. This is mainly because there has been little
>> > request for Python 3 support.
>> >
>> > I'm afraid I also do not know of a Traits-like library that works with
>> > Python 3.
>>
>> http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/dip/index.html
>>
>> Phil
>> _______________________________________________
>> Enthought-Dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
>
>
>
>
> --
> Pietro Berkes
> Scientific software developer
> Enthought UK
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Enthought-Dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
>
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

Phil Thompson
In reply to this post by Pietro Berkes
On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 09:06:11 +0100, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Thanks for the link, Phil. I could not find a reference to Python 3 in
the
> "dip" documentation, but I see the information is in the downloads page.

The supported versions of Python (ie. 2.6, 2.7, 3.x) are mentioned in the
first line of the introduction.

Phil
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

Pietro Berkes
:-)
My apologies: I simply did a search for "Python 3" and "Python3".
P.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 09:06:11 +0100, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Thanks for the link, Phil. I could not find a reference to Python 3 in
the
> "dip" documentation, but I see the information is in the downloads page.

The supported versions of Python (ie. 2.6, 2.7, 3.x) are mentioned in the
first line of the introduction.

Phil
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev



--
Pietro Berkes
Scientific software developer
Enthought UK



_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

Mark Summerfield
In reply to this post by Phil Thompson
Phil Thompson <phil@...> writes:

>
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:54:02 +0100, Pietro Berkes <pberkes@...>
> wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > thank you for your interest in Traits. We regularly discuss the future
> of
> > ETS with respect to Python 3, but, at the moment we do not have any
> > concrete plan for porting. This is mainly because there has been little
> > request for Python 3 support.
> >
> > I'm afraid I also do not know of a Traits-like library that works with
> > Python 3.
>
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/dip/index.html

I was actually hoping for one that isn't tied to a GUI.

And I have found one:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/api/generated/IPython.utils.traitlets.html
This works fine with Python 3.

Thanks.

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Traits for Python 3?

Phil Thompson
On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:18:07 +0000 (UTC), Mark Summerfield
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Phil Thompson <phil@...> writes:
>
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:54:02 +0100, Pietro Berkes <pberkes@...>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Mark,
>> >
>> > thank you for your interest in Traits. We regularly discuss the
future
>> of
>> > ETS with respect to Python 3, but, at the moment we do not have any
>> > concrete plan for porting. This is mainly because there has been
little
>> > request for Python 3 support.
>> >
>> > I'm afraid I also do not know of a Traits-like library that works
with
>> > Python 3.
>>
>> http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/dip/index.html
>
> I was actually hoping for one that isn't tied to a GUI.

dip.model (the traits-like part) only depends on QtCore and this
dependency should go in the next release.

Phil
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev