Sooo, how about including GDAL in Enthought? ;)

Sooo, how about including GDAL in Enthought? ;)

Michael Aye
Dear Enthought Team,

I am enjoying your EPD on an academic license, which understandably
means, that you don't have to listen much to any requests from my side,
but I was wondering if there are any plans to include GDAL in EPD?

There are more and more GIS tasks to do in the scientific computing
environment and GDAL, not only due to it's powerful raster library, is
a very useful tool in the Python world.

I am using GDAL successfully via Kyngchaos' GDAL Frameworks on OSX, but
am currently struggeling to import GDAL into the EPD due to different
numpy versions, so I was reminded of my dream to have the (for me)
all-complete Python distribution that includes GDAL.

Let me teasingly remind you that your competitor on the Windows/Linux
side (pythonxy) has actually GDAL support, even so I had to remind the
author about the lack of it in the most recent version, but currently
it works over there. (I am only testing this on XP for my wife's
laptop.. brrr ;)

So, how about it? Wouldn't it be cool?

Best regards and many thanks for an already awesome Python distribution!
Michael Aye

Re: Sooo, how about including GDAL in Enthought? ; )

Ilan Schnell
Hello Michael,

thanks your email.  I'm pleased to hear that you're
enjoying EPD.  I just took a quick look at GDAL, and
it seems to be an interesting project, but it requires the
GDAL library, and getting this to build across all platforms,
including Windows, would require some effort.  We will
keep an eye on GDAL, and if enough people request it, we
will certainly add it.  Another possibility would be to first
add GDAL to the subscriber repository.  There are already
some package which we support (but are not part of the
regular EPD installer).  These include: Cheetah, paramiko,
Pycluster, SimPy, MySQL-python, pandas, and a few others.

Best wishes   Ilan

Jed

Re: Sooo, how about including GDAL in Enthought? ; )

Jed
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:11:21 -0600, Ilan Schnell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We will
> keep an eye on GDAL, and if enough people request it, we
> will certainly add it.

I'll add another +1 for GDAL/OGR.

--
Jed Frechette

University of New Mexico Lidar Lab
www.unm.edu/~lidar

Re: Sooo, how about including GDAL in Enthought? ; )

Sharpie
I've build GDAL by hand on Linux and OS X a few times- it's not that bad.  GDAL integrates a staggering array of different libraries so most of the work involved is in building dependencies in order to enable support for given formats.  However, the EPD already includes many of these libraries- such as NetCDF and HDF5.  If a supporting library is not present, the interface is simply disabled and the GDAL API is very, very good about advertising which formats it can read and write to as a result of the libraries that were available at compile-time.

  It is true that building on Windows could be a PITA, but the R project has managed to build and ship a very feature-complete GDAL library to support the rgdal package so it is possible using MinGW tools.

In short, GDAL is very modular- you could easily add it to the EPD to provide basic support for common vector and raster sources such as GeoTIFF and ESRI shapefile and then add additional supporting libraries down the road to enable formats that are in high demand.

Thanks for all your work on the EPD and ETS- they have inspired me to invest time in learning Python!

-Charlie

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Ilan Schnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Michael,

thanks your email.  I'm pleased to hear that you're
enjoying EPD.  I just took a quick look at GDAL, and
it seems to be an interesting project, but it requires the
GDAL library, and getting this to build across all platforms,
including Windows, would require some effort.  We will
keep an eye on GDAL, and if enough people request it, we
will certainly add it.  Another possibility would be to first
add GDAL to the subscriber repository.  There are already
some package which we support (but are not part of the
regular EPD installer).  These include: Cheetah, paramiko,
Pycluster, SimPy, MySQL-python, pandas, and a few others.

Best wishes   Ilan

On Apr 19, 2010, at 3:51 PM, K.-Michael Aye wrote:

> Dear Enthought Team,
>
> I am enjoying your EPD on an academic license, which understandably
> means, that you don't have to listen much to any requests from my
> side,
> but I was wondering if there are any plans to include GDAL in EPD?
>
> There are more and more GIS tasks to do in the scientific computing
> environment and GDAL, not only due to it's powerful raster library, is
> a very useful tool in the Python world.
>
> I am using GDAL successfully via Kyngchaos' GDAL Frameworks on OSX,
> but
> am currently struggeling to import GDAL into the EPD due to different
> numpy versions, so I was reminded of my dream to have the (for me)
> all-complete Python distribution that includes GDAL.
>
> Let me teasingly remind you that your competitor on the Windows/Linux
> side (pythonxy) has actually GDAL support, even so I had to remind the
> author about the lack of it in the most recent version, but currently
> it works over there. (I am only testing this on XP for my wife's
> laptop.. brrr ;)
>
> So, how about it? Wouldn't it be cool?
>
> Best regards and many thanks for an already awesome Python
> distribution!
> Michael Aye

Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University

On 2010-04-20 05:56:03 +0200, Charlie Sharpsteen said:

> I've build GDAL by hand on Linux and OS X a few times- it's not that
> bad.  GDAL integrates a staggering array of different libraries so most
> of the work involved is in building dependencies in order to enable
> support for given formats.  However, the EPD already includes many of
> these libraries- such as NetCDF and HDF5.  If a supporting library is
> not present, the interface is simply disabled and the GDAL API is very,
> very good about advertising which formats it can read and write to as a
> result of the libraries that were available at compile-time.

So, to save redundancy, either GDAL would need to learn how to use EPD
drivers, if they have not been compiled into GDAL itself, or...
should maybe even EPD use the NetCDF and HDF5 drivers from GDAL, or
even implement all raster support via GDAL?
I've heard the statement, that there is no more versatile raster
library out there, so maybe it would be an advantage for EPD to use
GDAL for all kinds of raster format support?
Plus, Frank Warmerdam is quite keen and responsive to improve it even further.

What do you think?

--
Michael

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:54 AM, K.-Michael Aye <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, to save redundancy, either GDAL would need to learn how to use EPD
drivers, if they have not been compiled into GDAL itself, or...
should maybe even EPD use the NetCDF and HDF5 drivers from GDAL, or
even implement all raster support via GDAL?
I've heard the statement, that there is no more versatile raster
library out there, so maybe it would be an advantage for EPD to use
GDAL for all kinds of raster format support?
Plus, Frank Warmerdam is quite keen and responsive to improve it even further.

What do you think?

--
Michael

Well, you have to be careful here- you still need libraries like NetCDF and HDF5 in order to work with those files using GDAL.  GDAL doesn't implement all these raster formats by it's self- it simply provides a nice unified interface to other libraries- you could think of it as a tool box.  A tool box provides a nice way to organize your tools and make them accessible, but it is useless if there are no tools inside of it.

And there are places where you may not want to use GDAL- for example if you have time series data stored in a NetCDF file that isn't correlated to a geospatial grid it may be tougher to acces that data through GDAL rather than going straight through the NetCDF library.

-Charlie