Shell editor example/help

Adam Hughes
Hi,

I have a chaco/traitsui application and would like to be able to interactively play with a few key traits in the program and have plot updates run in real time.  To be a bit more clear on what behavior I am after, I have a chaco plot that has a variety of traits that trigger updates.  I'd like to be able to have the user manipulate these traits through the shell editor, and have the plot update in response.

I know that Chaco has an iPython shell extension, but am more interested in putting a shell editor around my already working app locally.  I'm having trouble finding an example that shows how to use the shell editor in a custom app, and also am not clear if whether or not the shell can pass notifications to traits.  The Trait Editor info is not entirely clear on how to implement the shell editor.

Thanks.

--
Stay thirsty my friends.

Re: Shell editor example/help

Adam Hughes
Hi all,

Just wanted to bump this old post.   Hope that is ok.  I've touched up the message to be a little more clear.

I have a chaco/traitsui application and would like to be able to interactively play with a few key traits in the program and have plot updates run in real time.  To be a bit more clear on what behavior I am after, I have a chaco plot that has a variety of traits that trigger updates.  In short, whenever a dataframe object is overwritten, the chaco plot automatically responds, and does so in a semi-optimized way.  To actually be a useful compliment to pandas, I'd like to leave this program open and have the user manipulate the dataframe in some sort of a shell.  Whenever the user changes the dataframe, since most operations yield new objects, this should trigger the chaco plot.  I'm struggling to find a good way/example of how to get this shell piping behavior.  Is anything like this possible at the moment?

I know that Chaco has an iPython shell extension, but am more interested in putting a shell editor around my already working app locally, additionally, the Trait Editor info is not entirely clear on how to implement the shell editor.

Thanks guys.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Physics Ph.D Candidate
George Washington University

Re: Shell editor example/help

Adam Hughes
Hi Jonathan,

Yes, I will try this.  For some reason I had initially thought this wouldn't work, but now don't see why not.  The one thing I guess that is not clear to me is if I do use ipython to plot, is it possible to set up a plot, then hook a trait listener up so that the plot automatically updates when this trait changes?  From the examples, it seems like a plot call must be invoked to trigger this change.  Would you expect an

"x_changed: update_plot()"

Kind of method to work just the same?  I'll play with before trying to ask any more questions, but ultimately this is the behavior I'm looking for.

Thanks for your suggestion.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Markus Gonser
Dear customer,

thank you for your e-mail. I am out of office until mid January 2013 and will not be able to respond to your support request. I will do so as soon as I get back.

i am aware of one a bug related to iOS 5.1.1 and I am sorry, that you might be exposed to it. The current workaround possiblities are:
1) Try to use free m48 until workaround exists
2) Update to a higher iOS if possible
3) Try to load a very simple skin (one of the low reolution Real-skins (e.g. for iPhone w/o Retina))
4) Wait until update, which has highest priority.

Regards,

Markus