Rendering an ImagePlot with chaco (successfully!)

Rendering an ImagePlot with chaco (successfully!)

Henry Gomersall
I cannot manage to get an ImagePlot to successfully render (actually, a
CMapImagePlot).

I've tried with various different examples from the chaco examples
directory, as well as a seriously minimal pared down version.

The code seems to be following the expected path - it enters
ImagePlot._render() and
gc.draw_image(self._cached_image, self._cached_dest_rect) is called
(with a seemingly sensible set of arguments), but I end up with a blank
canvas.

Similarly, it seems that ColorBar instances also fail to render
correctly (another class that calls gc.draw_image()).

Other plot operations seem to render just fine (as far as I've tested).
I presume there is some problem with Agg doing the rendering, but I've
no idea how to test this. Any assistance or ideas would be much
appreciated.

Cheers,

Henry

Re: Rendering an ImagePlot with chaco (successfully!)

Robert Kern
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Henry Gomersall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I cannot manage to get an ImagePlot to successfully render (actually, a
> CMapImagePlot).
>
> I've tried with various different examples from the chaco examples
> directory, as well as a seriously minimal pared down version.
>
> The code seems to be following the expected path - it enters
> ImagePlot._render() and
> gc.draw_image(self._cached_image, self._cached_dest_rect) is called
> (with a seemingly sensible set of arguments), but I end up with a blank
> canvas.
>
> Similarly, it seems that ColorBar instances also fail to render
> correctly (another class that calls gc.draw_image()).
>
> Other plot operations seem to render just fine (as far as I've tested).
> I presume there is some problem with Agg doing the rendering, but I've
> no idea how to test this. Any assistance or ideas would be much
> appreciated.

Are you on Ubuntu 12.10 or some other Linux variant that uses gcc
4.7+? We have seen this recently, but have not found a solution yet.

https://github.com/enthought/enable/issues/97

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 19:54 +0000, Robert Kern wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Henry Gomersall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I cannot manage to get an ImagePlot to successfully render
> (actually, a
> > CMapImagePlot).
> >
> > I've tried with various different examples from the chaco examples
> > directory, as well as a seriously minimal pared down version.
> >
> > The code seems to be following the expected path - it enters
> > ImagePlot._render() and
> > gc.draw_image(self._cached_image, self._cached_dest_rect) is called
> > (with a seemingly sensible set of arguments), but I end up with a
> blank
> > canvas.
> >
> > Similarly, it seems that ColorBar instances also fail to render
> > correctly (another class that calls gc.draw_image()).
> >
> > Other plot operations seem to render just fine (as far as I've
> tested).
> > I presume there is some problem with Agg doing the rendering, but
> I've
> > no idea how to test this. Any assistance or ideas would be much
> > appreciated.
>
> Are you on Ubuntu 12.10 or some other Linux variant that uses gcc
> 4.7+? We have seen this recently, but have not found a solution yet.
>
> https://github.com/enthought/enable/issues/97

Yes I am; that's frustrating. If I use 4.6 compile Agg, is that going to
break lots of things?

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Henry Gomersall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 19:54 +0000, Robert Kern wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Henry Gomersall <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I cannot manage to get an ImagePlot to successfully render
>> (actually, a
>> > CMapImagePlot).
>> >
>> > I've tried with various different examples from the chaco examples
>> > directory, as well as a seriously minimal pared down version.
>> >
>> > The code seems to be following the expected path - it enters
>> > ImagePlot._render() and
>> > gc.draw_image(self._cached_image, self._cached_dest_rect) is called
>> > (with a seemingly sensible set of arguments), but I end up with a
>> blank
>> > canvas.
>> >
>> > Similarly, it seems that ColorBar instances also fail to render
>> > correctly (another class that calls gc.draw_image()).
>> >
>> > Other plot operations seem to render just fine (as far as I've
>> tested).
>> > I presume there is some problem with Agg doing the rendering, but
>> I've
>> > no idea how to test this. Any assistance or ideas would be much
>> > appreciated.
>>
>> Are you on Ubuntu 12.10 or some other Linux variant that uses gcc
>> 4.7+? We have seen this recently, but have not found a solution yet.
>>
>> https://github.com/enthought/enable/issues/97
>
> Yes I am; that's frustrating. If I use 4.6 compile Agg, is that going to
> break lots of things?

It does not appear to. Someone else has successfully taken just the
agg.so binary from EPD and dropped it into their installation.

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 20:21 +0000, Robert Kern wrote:
> > Yes I am; that's frustrating. If I use 4.6 compile Agg, is that
> going to
> > break lots of things?
>
> It does not appear to. Someone else has successfully taken just the
> agg.so binary from EPD and dropped it into their installation.

Yes, I can confirm this works. I initially tried to compile _agg.so
using my platform gcc 4.6 but the naive approach was not successful.

Cheers,

Henry