Python 3 status ?

Gary Pajer
I see on GitHub that there has been considerable effort in a port of ETS to Python 3.  What is the status of that?   Is that branch stable enough for "personal use"  (I'll use it for my own purposes, but no one else would use the code)?

How can I clone that branch?  (I use git, but not GitHub)

ETS is the last thing (I think) that keeps me on python 2.7.   I'm beginning to feel slightly left behind.  :)

-gary

~-~-~

Re: Python 3 status ?

Pietro Berkes
Hi Gary,

which ETS projects are you using? The Python 3 support for traits is tested and stable, but support for the rest of ETS is missing or experimental at this stage.

For some projects there have some fundamental problems with supporting Python 3. For example, mayavi requires Python 3 bindings to VTK, which are missing at the moment.

Best,
Pietro

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Gary Pajer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see on GitHub that there has been considerable effort in a port of ETS to Python 3.  What is the status of that?   Is that branch stable enough for "personal use"  (I'll use it for my own purposes, but no one else would use the code)?

How can I clone that branch?  (I use git, but not GitHub)

ETS is the last thing (I think) that keeps me on python 2.7.   I'm beginning to feel slightly left behind.  :)

-gary

~-~-~

Pietro Berkes
Scientific software developer
Enthought UK

Re: Python 3 status ?

Burnpanck
Hi Gary,

I do use traits, traitsui, (therefore pyface) and chaco for personal use under python 3. Except for traits, they are certainly experimental, but I particularly want to point out that GUI stuff is possible using the Python 3 bindings of PySide. Expect some trait editors not to function properly, but fixing is easy, and welcome :-).

Best,
Yves

On 21.02.2014 12:07, Pietro Berkes wrote:
[...]

Traits, and TraitsUI, and Chaco.   I've been experimenting with Envisage.

So I'm not really using Envisage at the moment, so that's not an issue.  I could use matplotlib instead of Chaco, I think.

thanks, gary

~-~-~

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Pietro Berkes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It's best to clone the entire repository, then switch to the appropriate branch.

For traits, you can use the master branch (a 4.5.0 release with Python 3 support is imminent).