Problem installing Enaml

Jaidev Deshpande
Hi,

I've installed all the prerequisites for enaml, including casuarius,
pyside, ply, etc

Running the setup.py file at the prompt creates the following:

building 'enaml.speedups.model_index' extension
gcc: enaml/speedups/model_index.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files

The following works fine within the shell.
>>> import enaml

But when running a file called model.py which has the following:
    with enaml.imports():
        from view import View

It shows an ImportError - No module named enaml (the view.enaml file exists).

Is there something wrong with gcc?

I'm using winxp with Python 2.7.2

Thanks

Re: Problem installing Enaml

Robert Kern
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Jaidev Deshpande
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed all the prerequisites for enaml, including casuarius,
> pyside, ply, etc
>
> Running the setup.py file at the prompt creates the following:
>
> building 'enaml.speedups.model_index' extension
> gcc: enaml/speedups/model_index.c: No such file or directory
> gcc: no input files
>
> The following works fine within the shell.
>
> But when running a file called model.py which has the following:
>    with enaml.imports():
>        from view import View
>
> It shows an ImportError - No module named enaml (the view.enaml file exists).
>
> Is there something wrong with gcc?

You need Cython to build from the git checkout. model_index.c will be
build from model_index.pyx .

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Jaidev Deshpande
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've installed all the prerequisites for enaml, including casuarius,
>> pyside, ply, etc
>>
>> Running the setup.py file at the prompt creates the following:
>>
>> building 'enaml.speedups.model_index' extension
>> gcc: enaml/speedups/model_index.c: No such file or directory
>> gcc: no input files
>> error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>>
>> The following works fine within the shell.
>>
>> But when running a file called model.py which has the following:
>>    with enaml.imports():
>>        from view import View
>>
>> It shows an ImportError - No module named enaml (the view.enaml file exists).
>>
>> Is there something wrong with gcc?
>
> You need Cython to build from the git checkout. model_index.c will be
> build from model_index.pyx .
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Thanks, working now.

Although, I had to compile the module_index.pyx file separately. Since
I already had cython, should that not have happened automatically by
running the setup.py file?

Thanks

Re: Problem installing Enaml

Robert Kern
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Jaidev Deshpande
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Jaidev Deshpande
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've installed all the prerequisites for enaml, including casuarius,
>>> pyside, ply, etc
>>>
>>> Running the setup.py file at the prompt creates the following:
>>>
>>> building 'enaml.speedups.model_index' extension
>>> gcc: enaml/speedups/model_index.c: No such file or directory
>>> gcc: no input files
>>> error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>>>
>>> The following works fine within the shell.
>>>
>>> But when running a file called model.py which has the following:
>>>    with enaml.imports():
>>>        from view import View
>>>
>>> It shows an ImportError - No module named enaml (the view.enaml file exists).
>>>
>>> Is there something wrong with gcc?
>>
>> You need Cython to build from the git checkout. model_index.c will be
>> build from model_index.pyx .
>>
>> --
>> Robert Kern
>> Enthought
>
> Thanks, working now.
>
> Although, I had to compile the module_index.pyx file separately. Since
> I already had cython, should that not have happened automatically by
> running the setup.py file?

Without seeing your full build log, I'm not sure what went wrong.

Re: Problem installing Enaml

Chris Colbert