Packages

Adam Hughes
Hi all,

I'm trying to see the big picture with updating packages and am having trouble.  It was partially addressed in this old thread, but never completely explained.  I apologize in advance to the developers, who probably answer aspects of this question every single day.

I've been using EPDfree for some time and really like it; however, because I can't afford a subscription at this time to EPD Basic, I can't use the enpkg tool to update any packages.  I don't know how to update extra packages manually within my EPD build.  Are there any examples of this anywhere?

Instead, I tried installing ETS from the current github repository.  I downloaded the ets.py script, which I thought was the most recent version, from this link.
Following the directions, I tried cloning it with sude python ets.py clone and keep getting this error.

Cloning package encore
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ets.py", line 150, in <module>
    main()
  File "ets.py", line 137, in main
    subprocess.check_call(['git', 'clone', pkg_url, ets_pkg_name])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/
subprocess.py", line 493, in check_call
    retcode = call(*popenargs, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 480, in call
    return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 633, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1139, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

At the end of the day, I just want a reliable way to keep packages updated, particularly the Pandas packages which is releasing a new build every few months.  What would you guys suggest?

Re: Packages

Jonathan March
Hi Adam,

Encore is recent addition to ETS, and it sounds like ets.py may not have fully incorporated it. We'll have a look.

You should be able to build Pandas from github without incident; it is not available through ETS Free.

As a side note, if you install EPD 8 beta Free (the GUI), and use it to sign up for a Free EPD account, you will be able to use the GUI's package manager to update the packages in EPD Free.

hth,
Jonathan

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Encore is recent addition to ETS, and it sounds like ets.py may not have fully incorporated it. We'll have a look.

You should be able to build Pandas from github without incident; it is not available through ETS Free.

Can you elaborate on building from github?  I downloaded numpy 1.6 (pandas requires it) and pandas from source, but when I try to build numpy 1.6 using sudo python setup.py install, I get:

SystemError: Cannot compile 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to install python-dev|python-devel.

Are you saying that I should be installing it a different way?

As a side note, if you install EPD 8 beta Free (the GUI), and use it to sign up for a Free EPD account, you will be able to use the GUI's package manager to update the packages in EPD Free.

Thanks.  It tried EPD 8 beta but it kept crashing on me so I opted back to the stable current release.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Encore is recent addition to ETS, and it sounds like ets.py may not have fully incorporated it. We'll have a look.

You should be able to build Pandas from github without incident; it is not available through ETS Free.

Can you elaborate on building from github?  I downloaded numpy 1.6 (pandas requires it) and pandas from source, but when I try to build numpy 1.6 using sudo python setup.py install, I get:

SystemError: Cannot compile 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to install python-dev|python-devel.

Are you saying that I should be installing it a different way?

The current EPD Free includes numpy 1.6.

As you probably know, to build pandas from git, you will need to have cython (not in EPD Free).

As a side note, if you install EPD 8 beta Free (the GUI), and use it to sign up for a Free EPD account, you will be able to use the GUI's package manager to update the packages in EPD Free.

Thanks.  It tried EPD 8 beta but it kept crashing on me so I opted back to the stable current release.

Sorry! Two points:

1. EPD 8 beta is now up to 8.0-4, better all the time, generally quite stable in daily use. We would appreciate bug reports.

2. What's new in EPD 8 is only the GUI and the installers. You point the GUI to use or install whatever EPD 7.x Python interpreter you choose, so you don't need to stop using your 7.x installation. And if you do use the GUI to sign up for a Free EPD account, you can then use the package manager (or, indeed, enpkg) to update whatever EPD Free packages you want (e.g. to numpy 1.6).

All that said: my $.02: Given what I've inferred over the past year of your Python workflow and tool stack, it sounds as if an EPD Basic subscription would pay for itself many times over,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> Encore is recent addition to ETS, and it sounds like ets.py may not have
>> fully incorporated it. We'll have a look.
>>
>> You should be able to build Pandas from github without incident; it is not
>> available through ETS Free.
>
> Can you elaborate on building from github?  I downloaded numpy 1.6 (pandas
> requires it) and pandas from source, but when I try to build numpy 1.6 using
> sudo python setup.py install, I get:
>
> SystemError: Cannot compile 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to install
> python-dev|python-devel.
>
> Are you saying that I should be installing it a different way?

Check that "sudo python" is getting your EPD python. sudo usually
changes the environment including the $PATH, so I suspect you are
really picking up your system python instead. There are three things
you can do:

  1. Configure sudo to preserve the environment, at least for the $PATH.
  2. Explicitly specify EPD's python every time, "sudo /opt/epd/bin/python"
  3. (My favorite) "sudo chown -R hugadams:staff /opt/epd/"

Re: Packages

Adam Hughes
Thanks guys.

Before I try implementing anything further, I'm going to see if I can make my institution pay for a Basic subscription.  I've wanted to become a member for a while, just always tight in the wallet (grad student).  My school allotted me some money for the scipy conference, and I'm going to try to just put that towards the subscription (aka make my school pay for it).

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> Encore is recent addition to ETS, and it sounds like ets.py may not have
>> fully incorporated it. We'll have a look.
>>
>> You should be able to build Pandas from github without incident; it is not
>> available through ETS Free.
>
> Can you elaborate on building from github?  I downloaded numpy 1.6 (pandas
> requires it) and pandas from source, but when I try to build numpy 1.6 using
> sudo python setup.py install, I get:
>
> SystemError: Cannot compile 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to install
> python-dev|python-devel.
>
> Are you saying that I should be installing it a different way?

Check that "sudo python" is getting your EPD python. sudo usually
changes the environment including the $PATH, so I suspect you are
really picking up your system python instead. There are three things
you can do:

  1. Configure sudo to preserve the environment, at least for the $PATH.
  2. Explicitly specify EPD's python every time, "sudo /opt/epd/bin/python"
  3. (My favorite) "sudo chown -R hugadams:staff /opt/epd/"

Re: Packages

Jonathan March
Adam,

Good luck with your subscription funding. But even with EPD Basic, I imagine that you'll want your workflow to incorporate git. As one instance....

Regarding your traceback from ets.py, Puneeth pointed out that this exact traceback occurs when git is not installed... and encore just happens to be first in ets.py's package list.

Jonathan