Overwriting a package manually and then reverting to enpkg

Overwriting a package manually and then reverting to enpkg

Adam Hughes
Hi,

I manually deleted my pandas directory from EPD site-packages and put in a developmental version, and then realized I needed to revert back.  I deleted the new version as well as the pandas.egg file.  When I ran enpkg pandas, it said my current pandas version was up to date, even though I completely deleted the pandas folder from site-packages.  Does anyone know offhand where enpkg is looking to think that I still have the original pandas installed, and how I could convince it otherwise?

Also, in the future, if I'm alternating between versions of a package, some of which are not accessible to enpkg, is manually updated epd site-packages an intelligent way to do this?  Would it be more wise to store multiple versions of the package all in the site-packages directory?

Thanks.

--
Adam Hughes
Physics Ph.D Candidate

Re: Overwriting a package manually and then reverting to enpkg

Puneeth Chaganti
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I manually deleted my pandas directory from EPD site-packages and put in a
> developmental version, and then realized I needed to revert back.  I deleted
> the new version as well as the pandas.egg file.  When I ran enpkg pandas, it
> said my current pandas version was up to date, even though I completely
> deleted the pandas folder from site-packages.  Does anyone know offhand
> where enpkg is looking to think that I still have the original pandas
> installed, and how I could convince it otherwise?

`enpkg --remove pandas` should do the trick for you.

> Also, in the future, if I'm alternating between versions of a package, some
> of which are not accessible to enpkg, is manually updated epd site-packages
> an intelligent way to do this?  Would it be more wise to store multiple
> versions of the package all in the site-packages directory?

You could build an egg yourself, and use egginst to install your egg,
as described in this post [1] by Robert.

[1] - https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2013-February/032168.html

Re: Overwriting a package manually and then reverting to enpkg

Adam Hughes
Thanks!

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Puneeth Chaganti <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I manually deleted my pandas directory from EPD site-packages and put in a
> developmental version, and then realized I needed to revert back.  I deleted
> the new version as well as the pandas.egg file.  When I ran enpkg pandas, it
> said my current pandas version was up to date, even though I completely
> deleted the pandas folder from site-packages.  Does anyone know offhand
> where enpkg is looking to think that I still have the original pandas
> installed, and how I could convince it otherwise?

`enpkg --remove pandas` should do the trick for you.

> Also, in the future, if I'm alternating between versions of a package, some
> of which are not accessible to enpkg, is manually updated epd site-packages
> an intelligent way to do this?  Would it be more wise to store multiple
> versions of the package all in the site-packages directory?

You could build an egg yourself, and use egginst to install your egg,
as described in this post [1] by Robert.

[1] - https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2013-February/032168.html

Adam Hughes
Physics Ph.D Candidate
George Washington University

Re: Overwriting a package manually and then reverting to enpkg

Jonathan March
Adam, depending on how fluid your development version of pandas is, you could also install it with "python setup.py develop" rather than "... install" (if that's what you are doing now.) Then you won't have a development pandas dir to deal with in site-packages.
Then:
enpkg --remove pandas
cd ~/pandas
python setup.py develop
[play with development version, including tracking any changes that you make to it]
python setup.py develop --uninstall
enpkg pandas

Jonathan

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Puneeth Chaganti <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM, Adam Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I manually deleted my pandas directory from EPD site-packages and put in a
> developmental version, and then realized I needed to revert back.  I deleted
> the new version as well as the pandas.egg file.  When I ran enpkg pandas, it
> said my current pandas version was up to date, even though I completely
> deleted the pandas folder from site-packages.  Does anyone know offhand
> where enpkg is looking to think that I still have the original pandas
> installed, and how I could convince it otherwise?

`enpkg --remove pandas` should do the trick for you.

> Also, in the future, if I'm alternating between versions of a package, some
> of which are not accessible to enpkg, is manually updated epd site-packages
> an intelligent way to do this?  Would it be more wise to store multiple
> versions of the package all in the site-packages directory?

You could build an egg yourself, and use egginst to install your egg,
as described in this post [1] by Robert.

[1] - https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2013-February/032168.html

Adam Hughes
Physics Ph.D Candidate
George Washington University

Re: Overwriting a package manually and then reverting to enpkg

Adam Hughes
Thanks Jonathan.