Numpy 1.7 ?

Michael Aye
Is the upgrade to numpy 1.7 recommended for the current EPD 7.3-2? (I
am using it on both Macs and Linux).

Best regards,
Michael

Re: Numpy 1.7 ?

Jonathan March
Hi Michael,

Numpy 1.7.0 has a significant memory leak, described here:
Therefore we do not plan to build it for the EPD repo.
We will reassess when 1.7.1 bugfix is released; the numpy team has not yet set a target date for release.

hth,
Jonathan

https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/issues/1715

Therefore we do not plan to build it for the EPD repo.

We will reassess when 1.7.1 bugfix is released; the numpy team has not yet set a target date for release.

Thanks for the info!

This bug is fixed in the maintenance/1.7.x branch, and 2 days ago the developer 'certik' assured that there will be a maintenance release soon. Let's hope so, as I'm really tired of dancing around the datetime64[ns] bug with my timeseries.

Michael

hth,

Jonathan

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM, K.-Michael Aye <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is the upgrade to numpy 1.7 recommended for the current EPD 7.3-2? (I

am using it on both Macs and Linux).

Best regards,

Michael

Chaco image plot only shows white canvas

felix
Hey everybody,

after setting up a new Ubuntu sytem (12.10) and trying to run old code I
ran into I problem I don't know how to fix:

An image_plot, even the example
https://github.com/enthought/chaco/blob/master/examples/demo/basic/cmap_image_plot.py
, just produces axis with white content. Line plot, scatterplot,
contourplot do as usual.

I installed Chaco via apt, in a first attempt to fix this problem I
updated it usin pip.

Any Idea what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Felix

Re: Chaco image plot only shows white canvas

Peter Wang-2
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM, felix <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey everybody,
after setting up a new Ubuntu sytem (12.10) and trying to run old code I
ran into I problem I don't know how to fix:
An image_plot, even the example
https://github.com/enthought/chaco/blob/master/examples/demo/basic/cmap_image_plot.py
, just produces axis with white content. Line plot, scatterplot,
contourplot do as usual.

Without shelling into your system there is no easy way to figure out what is wrong, and I don't know that we have any offline image plotting unit tests.  Are you saying that line and scatter plots work?

Perhaps there is a Numpy version conflict...?  What version of Numpy do you have?  Are you on 32 or 64 bit linux?  If the latter, are you running a 32bit or 64bit Python?  Are you using WxPython or Qt?  If the latter, are you using Pyside or PyQt?

I installed Chaco via apt, in a first attempt to fix this problem I
updated it usin pip.

If you're not opposed to the idea, I would strongly suggest using a Python distribution like Enthought EPD or Continuum's Anaconda (or any of the others listed at http://python.org/download/).  I know that both EPD and Anaconda have working, tested versions of Chaco, with no hidden numpy/scipy/etc. version incompatibility weirdness.

-Peter

Re: Chaco image plot only shows white canvas

Lee Taylor
On 03/04/2013 02:54 PM, Peter Wang wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM, felix <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hey everybody,
>     after setting up a new Ubuntu sytem (12.10) and trying to run old code I
>     ran into I problem I don't know how to fix:
>     An image_plot, even the example
>     https://github.com/enthought/chaco/blob/master/examples/demo/basic/cmap_image_plot.py
>     , just produces axis with white content. Line plot, scatterplot,
>     contourplot do as usual.
>

> Without shelling into your system there is no easy way to figure out
> what is wrong, and I don't know that we have any offline image plotting
> unit tests.  Are you saying that line and scatter plots work?
>
> Perhaps there is a Numpy version conflict...?  What version of Numpy do
> you have?  Are you on 32 or 64 bit linux?  If the latter, are you
> running a 32bit or 64bit Python?  Are you using WxPython or Qt?  If the
> latter, are you using Pyside or PyQt?

I reported a similar problem on 64-bit Linux (redhat 6).  After some
trial and error, it found it works when I compiled with gcc 4.6.3, but
not with gcc 4.7.1 or a 4.8 snapshot.  Robert Kern suggested it may be
the template code in agg not conforming to current compilers expectation.

>     I installed Chaco via apt, in a first attempt to fix this problem I
>     updated it usin pip.
>

> If you're not opposed to the idea, I would strongly suggest using a
> Python distribution like Enthought EPD or Continuum's Anaconda (or any
> of the others listed at http://python.org/download/).  I know that both
> EPD and Anaconda have working, tested versions of Chaco, with no hidden
> numpy/scipy/etc. version incompatibility weirdness.

When I copied the _agg.so from EDP into my gcc 4.7.1 build, the image
plot worked.

Lee Taylor

Re: Chaco image plot only shows white canvas

felix
Thanks Lee,
you are a hero, that did the job for me...

Peter thanks you as well for your answer. Indeed I am running a 64 bit
system, with 64 bit Python.

before copying _agg.so from EDP I tried to update enable via pip and run
into this bug
https://github.com/enthought/enable/issues/34#issuecomment-2029381 (X11
libraries not found on Ubuntu 11.10)
I don't know if those are related, I might try this later again.

Cool, first question on this mailing list, got a solution for a non
trivial problem.
Thanks again,
Felix

On 03/05/2013 01:35 AM, Lee Taylor wrote:

> On 03/04/2013 02:54 PM, Peter Wang wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM, felix <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>      Hey everybody,
>>      after setting up a new Ubuntu sytem (12.10) and trying to run old code I
>>      ran into I problem I don't know how to fix:
>>      An image_plot, even the example
>>      https://github.com/enthought/chaco/blob/master/examples/demo/basic/cmap_image_plot.py
>>      , just produces axis with white content. Line plot, scatterplot,
>>      contourplot do as usual.
>>

>> Without shelling into your system there is no easy way to figure out
>> what is wrong, and I don't know that we have any offline image plotting
>> unit tests.  Are you saying that line and scatter plots work?
>>
>> Perhaps there is a Numpy version conflict...?  What version of Numpy do
>> you have?  Are you on 32 or 64 bit linux?  If the latter, are you
>> running a 32bit or 64bit Python?  Are you using WxPython or Qt?  If the
>> latter, are you using Pyside or PyQt?
> I reported a similar problem on 64-bit Linux (redhat 6).  After some
> trial and error, it found it works when I compiled with gcc 4.6.3, but
> not with gcc 4.7.1 or a 4.8 snapshot.  Robert Kern suggested it may be
> the template code in agg not conforming to current compilers expectation.
>
>>      I installed Chaco via apt, in a first attempt to fix this problem I
>>      updated it usin pip.
>>

>> If you're not opposed to the idea, I would strongly suggest using a
>> Python distribution like Enthought EPD or Continuum's Anaconda (or any
>> of the others listed at http://python.org/download/).  I know that both
>> EPD and Anaconda have working, tested versions of Chaco, with no hidden
>> numpy/scipy/etc. version incompatibility weirdness.
> When I copied the _agg.so from EDP into my gcc 4.7.1 build, the image
> plot worked.
>
> Lee Taylor

Re: Chaco image plot only shows white canvas

Fred
Le 04/03/2013 23:54, Peter Wang a écrit :

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM, felix <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hey everybody,
>     after setting up a new Ubuntu sytem (12.10) and trying to run old code I
>     ran into I problem I don't know how to fix:
>     An image_plot, even the example
>     https://github.com/enthought/chaco/blob/master/examples/demo/basic/cmap_image_plot.py
>     , just produces axis with white content. Line plot, scatterplot,
>     contourplot do as usual.
>

> Without shelling into your system there is no easy way to figure out
> what is wrong, and I don't know that we have any offline image plotting
> unit tests.  Are you saying that line and scatter plots work?
>
> Perhaps there is a Numpy version conflict...?  What version of Numpy do
> you have?  Are you on 32 or 64 bit linux?  If the latter, are you
> running a 32bit or 64bit Python?  Are you using WxPython or Qt?  If the
> latter, are you using Pyside or PyQt?
>
>     I installed Chaco via apt, in a first attempt to fix this problem I
>     updated it usin pip.
>

> If you're not opposed to the idea, I would strongly suggest using a
> Python distribution like Enthought EPD or Continuum's Anaconda (or any
> of the others listed at http://python.org/download/).  I know that both
> EPD and Anaconda have working, tested versions of Chaco, with no hidden
> numpy/scipy/etc. version incompatibility weirdness.
Hi Peter,

I and others here have posted the same problem...

debian 64 bits 7.0
gcc 4.7.2
numpy 1.7.0

TIA

Fred

Re: Numpy 1.7 ?

Michael Aye

Numpy 1.7.1 (the long awaited bug fix release) is out!

Now EPD! ;)

Re: Chaco image plot only shows white canvas

fioretti

I run into the same problem: ubuntu 12.10 and display of white canvas (due to gcc 4.7.2 in my case). I installed Chaco via apt.

However I don't understand how to fix the problem:

>When I copied the _agg.so from EDP into my gcc 4.7.1 build, the image
>plot worked.

Where can I find the _agg.so object and where exactly should I copy it?

Thanks,
Valentina

New Docs

Ross Harder-2
Greetings,

I like the look and feel of the new numpy reference.  But, am I missing something or is there no way to search it?
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/

Ross

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:25 PM, fioretti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I run into the same problem: ubuntu 12.10 and display of white canvas (due
to gcc 4.7.2 in my case). I installed Chaco via apt.

However I don't understand how to fix the problem:

>When I copied the _agg.so from EDP into my gcc 4.7.1 build, the image
>plot worked.

Where can I find the _agg.so object and where exactly should I copy it?

Thanks,
Valentina

Re: New Docs

Robert Kern
On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Ross Harder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I like the look and feel of the new numpy reference.  But, am I missing
> something or is there no way to search it?
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/

We are not involved in the details of that change. The numpy
developers on numpy-discussion will have answers for you, though.