Newbie: Can't even open MayaVi figures without a segfault

Newbie: Can't even open MayaVi figures without a segfault

Ruth
Hello!

I'm not sure if you folks are the right ones to ask, but I can't seem to
find any other MayaVi support. I've just discovered MayaVi, but can't even
get started. Opening figures just results in a segfault.

For example:
    from mayavi import mlab
    mlab.figure()
gives me the error:
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
A window pops up for a moment like it's trying to open a figure, but then it
disappears straight away.

A little bit of general information: I am working with Python 2.7.3, EPD
7.3-1 (64-bit) on Linux. I'm pretty new to all of those things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ruth

Re: Newbie: Can't even open MayaVi figures without a segfault

9 chances out of 10 that it is triggering a segfault in your openGL
drivers. To figure this out, we would need a C debugger's trace back.
It's a bit technical to obtain, see
for instance
http://scipy-lectures.github.io/advanced/debugging/index.html#debugging-segmentation-faults-using-gdb

If this is the case, I am not sure what we (Mayavi developers) can easily
do.

Best,

Gaƫl

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:02:05PM +0000, Ruth wrote:
> Hello!

> I'm not sure if you folks are the right ones to ask, but I can't seem to
> find any other MayaVi support. I've just discovered MayaVi, but can't even
> get started. Opening figures just results in a segfault.

> For example:
>     from mayavi import mlab
>     mlab.figure()
> gives me the error:
>     Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> A window pops up for a moment like it's trying to open a figure, but then it
> disappears straight away.

> A little bit of general information: I am working with Python 2.7.3, EPD
> 7.3-1 (64-bit) on Linux. I'm pretty new to all of those things.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Ruth

    Researcher, INRIA Parietal
    Laboratoire de Neuro-Imagerie Assistee par Ordinateur
    NeuroSpin/CEA Saclay , Bat 145, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette France
    Phone:  ++ 33-1-69-08-79-68
    http://gael-varoquaux.info            http://twitter.com/GaelVaroquaux