Mayavi streamlines problem

Andrew Collette-2
Hi,

I am trying to use mayavi to visualize some experimental data we have.
 It's 3D vector data taken in cutplanes through a volume; I'd like
display it using streamlines.  I got Mayavi to produce a 3d vector
plot using mlab.quiver3d, which works fine; I can see all three
cutplanes and the vectors look reasonable.  The data shows up as
"VectorScatter" in the mayavi pipeline viewer.  When I add the
"Streamline" module, a little wireframe sphere appears, but I haven't
actually managed to get it to produce any streamlines.  So far I tried
using sphere, point and surface seeds, with no result.  I have a
feeling there's something obvious I'm missing.  Out of curiosity, I
also tried using VectorCutplane and that doesn't produce anything
either, which confuses me.  Of the three, only the Vector module
produces any output.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew Collette

Re: Mayavi streamlines problem

Gael Varoquaux
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 04:06:34PM -0700, Andrew Collette wrote:

> I am trying to use mayavi to visualize some experimental data we have.
>  It's 3D vector data taken in cutplanes through a volume; I'd like
> display it using streamlines.  I got Mayavi to produce a 3d vector
> plot using mlab.quiver3d, which works fine; I can see all three
> cutplanes and the vectors look reasonable.  The data shows up as
> "VectorScatter" in the mayavi pipeline viewer.  When I add the
> "Streamline" module, a little wireframe sphere appears, but I haven't
> actually managed to get it to produce any streamlines.  So far I tried
> using sphere, point and surface seeds, with no result.  I have a
> feeling there's something obvious I'm missing.  Out of curiosity, I
> also tried using VectorCutplane and that doesn't produce anything
> either, which confuses me.  Of the three, only the Vector module
> produces any output.

The reason is that mlab.quiver3d produces vector data with no
connectivity information: a set of point with a vector attached to it,
rather than a continuous vector field.

The easiest way to use streamlines is to use mlab.flow.

HTH,

Gaël

Re: Mayavi streamlines problem

Andrew Collette-2
Hi,

> The reason is that mlab.quiver3d produces vector data with no
> connectivity information: a set of point with a vector attached to it,
> rather than a continuous vector field.
>
> The easiest way to use streamlines is to use mlab.flow.

Thanks, that would explain it.  Streamlines work well now.

Andrew

Re: Mayavi streamlines problem

Andrew Collette-2
One more thing... on more than one computer I've tried, many of the
Mayavi dialogs are wrongly sized, squashed or missing; I tried running
it on my Windows 7 computer (via Pythonxy) and about half the dialogs
in the pipeline browser are unusable (1px tall, squashed to the side
of the window, or simliar).  Is there any easy way to correct this?
They don't seem to respond to resizing.

Thanks,
Andrew Collette

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 05:21:33PM -0700, Andrew Collette wrote:
> One more thing... on more than one computer I've tried, many of the
> Mayavi dialogs are wrongly sized, squashed or missing; I tried running
> it on my Windows 7 computer (via Pythonxy) and about half the dialogs
> in the pipeline browser are unusable (1px tall, squashed to the side
> of the window, or simliar).  Is there any easy way to correct this?
> They don't seem to respond to resizing.

What's you ETS version? I thought that this had been fixed recently.

Cheers,

Gaël

Re: Mayavi streamlines problem

Andrew Collette-2
Hi,

> What's you ETS version? I thought that this had been fixed recently.

Not sure how to find this out... it's the latest version installed via
Pythonxy.  Their webpage suggests this is 3.4.0.

I installed the latest version of Mayavi on an ubuntu partition on the
same machine (via easy_install, which is a whole separate issue) and
it seems to work fine there.  Out of curiosity I tried running Python
in the Windows 7 compatibility mode, to no effect.

Thanks again,
Andrew

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 01:23:57PM -0700, Andrew Collette wrote:
> Not sure how to find this out... it's the latest version installed via
> Pythonxy.  Their webpage suggests this is 3.4.0.

Hum, that should be good. Maybe we have a problem with the wx that they
are using. Could you tell us what the wxPython version is?

Cheers,

Gaël

Re: Mayavi streamlines problem

Andrew Collette-2
Hi,

> Hum, that should be good. Maybe we have a problem with the wx that they
> are using. Could you tell us what the wxPython version is?

The current wxpython version listed on their website is 2.8.10.1.  I'm
not sure what other modules ets might depend on; the full list of
"plugins" (as they call them) is here:

http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/wiki/StandardPlugins

Andrew