Mayavi export to obj/mtl format looses color of isosurfaces and scalar cut plane

Mayavi export to obj/mtl format looses color of isosurfaces and scalar cut plane

Amit Aides
Hello to the Mayavi team,

I am trying to export a Mayavi visualization to obj/mtl format so that I
can further render it in blender3D.
My visualization makes uses of several isosurfaces to display scalar
field. Inside the Mayavi application the isosurfaces are displayed in
full color. But the obj/mtl representation looses the color of the
isosurfaces.
This is similar to the following post:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1437552&group_id=27020&atid=388896
Is there a work around?
Similarly, is it possible to export the image of a scalar cut plane as a
texture (for the same reason of rendering in blender3D)?

I am using EPD 7.3-1

Best Regards,
Amit

Re: Mayavi export to obj/mtl format looses color of isosurfaces and scalar cut plane

Frédéric Vogt-2
Hi Amit,

Regarding the color issues, see an old post of mine (and associated answers) on this list : http://enthought-dev.117412.n3.nabble.com/MayaVi-and-vrml-to-u3d-td3514982.html

I gave up on using the .obj + .mtl format for that reason. I now export my models in the .vrml format, which does handle colors properly. As to know if it will work with Blender3D, no idea. But I'd be very interested to know if you can get the .mtl file to work properly  !

Cheers,
Frédéric

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 05:03:51AM +0300, Amit Aides wrote:
> Is there a work around?

Not that I know. It seems like a VTK bug for me, so you could try asking
on a VTK mailing list.

> Similarly, is it possible to export the image of a scalar cut plane as a
> texture (for the same reason of rendering in blender3D)?

There might be a way to hack this by retrieving the low-level
representation, but I have never done this myself so I cannot help.

Sorry,

Gael