Is there a way to package ETS scripts into an exe

Is there a way to package ETS scripts into an exe

Kevin Khan
Hi there,

I have a python script which uses several enthought packages (such as mayavi).  I want to make this into an exe so it can be easily distributed.  I was wondering if this possible and what is the best and quickest way to do this.

-Kevin

Re: Is there a way to package ETS scripts into an exe

Adam Hughes
I believe that from some past discussions, this is not quite straightforward.  In general, if you want to turn a python file into an .exe (or its corresponding executable on other operating systems), there are a few python libraries to do so such as py2exe and bbfreeze.  From this simple example; however, it seems that there is a lot of manual "include" statements that need to be put into the setup.py script.  You may get lucky and find that this setup.py script works verbatim for your needs.

If would really be cool if ETS had a script to self-generate these setup.py imports, but as far as I know, this doesn't exist.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Kevin Khan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

I have a python script which uses several enthought packages (such as mayavi).  I want to make this into an exe so it can be easily distributed.  I was wondering if this possible and what is the best and quickest way to do this.

-Kevin

Adam Hughes
Physics Ph.D Candidate
George Washington University

Re: Is there a way to package ETS scripts into an exe

_jelle_
Interesting topics. I've been messing about with PyInstaller which seemed most
 appealing to me so far. Kivy for instance offers a call to list all dependencies
of its module ( hidden imports, data files ) for easy integration in PyInstaller.
I guess that might be a cool idea for the likes of traits?

Re: Is there a way to package ETS scripts into an exe

Thomas Lecocq
hi,

just to say that the following:

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:39:24 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] Is there a way to package ETS scripts into an exe

I believe that from some past discussions, this is not quite straightforward.  In general, if you want to turn a python file into an .exe (or its corresponding executable on other operating systems), there are a few python libraries to do so such as py2exe and bbfreeze.  From this simple example; however, it seems that there is a lot of manual "include" statements that need to be put into the setup.py script.  You may get lucky and find that this setup.py script works verbatim for your needs.

still works with the latest ETS from git... But indeed :

If would really be cool if ETS had a script to self-generate these setup.py imports, but as far as I know, this doesn't exist.

I'd give this idea a +10000 :-)

Thom

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Kevin Khan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

I have a python script which uses several enthought packages (such as mayavi).  I want to make this into an exe so it can be easily distributed.  I was wondering if this possible and what is the best and quickest way to do this.

-Kevin

Adam Hughes
Physics Ph.D Candidate
George Washington University

Re: Is there a way to package ETS scripts into an exe

_jelle_
I think Kivy handles this in an elegant manner [1]
[1] https://github.com/dsr/kivy/blob/master/kivy/tools/
packaging/pyinstaller_hooks/hook-kivy.py