Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Vishal
Hello,

I tried running the 'attractors' application in the ETS distribution (4.0)
got this error message:

"*NotImplementedError: the wx pyface backend doesn't implement
TaskWindowBackend*"

how to resolve this ?

I wish to start a project and evaluating whether to go with workbench or
tasks.

Thanks and best regards,
Vishal Sapre

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Eraldo Pomponi
Change the toolkit to qt, Task is not supported under wx.

On Linux issue this command:

export ETS_TOOLKIT=qt4

or add those lines in the beginning of run.py script:

from traits.etsconfig.api import ETSConfig
ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'

Of course Qt backend must be installed.

Check TraitsUI manual for a detailed description

Cheers,
Eraldo

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Vishal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried running the 'attractors' application in the ETS distribution (4.0)
> got this error message:
>
> "*NotImplementedError: the wx pyface backend doesn't implement
> TaskWindowBackend*"
>
> how to resolve this ?
>
> I wish to start a project and evaluating whether to go with workbench or
> tasks.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Vishal Sapre

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Thomas Lecocq
Eraldo, Enthought Guys,

I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be addressed rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able to run and build applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of ENAML arriving fast...)

Any comments/updates ?

Cheers,

Thomas

**********************
Dr Thomas Lecocq
Geologist
Royal Observatory of Belgium
- Seismology -
**********************

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:21:01 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'
>
> Change the toolkit to qt, Task is not supported under wx.
>
> On Linux issue this command:
>
> export ETS_TOOLKIT=qt4
>
> or add those lines in the beginning of run.py script:
>
> from traits.etsconfig.api import ETSConfig
> ETSConfig.toolkit = 'qt4'
>
> Of course Qt backend must be installed.
>
> Check TraitsUI manual for a detailed description
>
> Cheers,
> Eraldo
>

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Vishal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried running the 'attractors' application in the ETS distribution (4.0)
> > got this error message:
> >
> > "*NotImplementedError: the wx pyface backend doesn't implement
> > TaskWindowBackend*"
> >
> > how to resolve this ?
> >
> > I wish to start a project and evaluating whether to go with workbench or
> > tasks.
> >
> > Thanks and best regards,
> > Vishal Sapre

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Robert Kern
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Thomas ' <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Eraldo, Enthought Guys,
>
> I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be addressed
> rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able to run and build
> applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of ENAML arriving
> fast...)

I'm sorry, but we do not plan to port the Tasks framework to wx.

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Thomas Lecocq
Outch...

What would then be the best way to integrate traits and enaml in a single "workbench"-like window ?

Thomas

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:31:58 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Thomas ' <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Eraldo, Enthought Guys,
> >
> > I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be addressed
> > rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able to run and build
> > applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of ENAML arriving
> > fast...)
>
> I'm sorry, but we do not plan to port the Tasks framework to wx.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Corran Webster
Hi Thomas,

if you are prepared to live on the bleeding edge, the current working branch of Enaml (feature-async) has workbench-like functionality (dock panes) and support for Wx on Windows, at least (it may work acceptably on other platforms, but we only intend to support Windows).  That branch is under heavy active development right now, so be prepared for missing functionality and rapid changes if you follow that route - I'm not sure I'd recommend it at this instant, but in a month or two it may be acceptably stable for development.  Compared to Tasks you would lose the plug-in aspect of Tasks, but this may be acceptable.

It is not impossible to write a Tasks backend for Wx, but Enthought has (and is unlikely to have) no plans to do so, but we would welcome contributions from the community.  The Tasks API is not that big, and uses standard Pyface Actions (which are supported by Wx), so the effort would largely be in writing appropriate dock window support in Wx.

What is the obstacle to using Qt + PySide?

-- Corran

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Lecocq <[hidden email]> wrote:
Outch...

What would then be the best way to integrate traits and enaml in a single "workbench"-like window ?

Thomas

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:31:58 +0100

> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Thomas ' <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Eraldo, Enthought Guys,
> >
> > I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be addressed
> > rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able to run and build
> > applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of ENAML arriving
> > fast...)
>
> I'm sorry, but we do not plan to port the Tasks framework to wx.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Thomas Lecocq
Corran,

Living on the bleeding edge is my passion :-) I'm already keeping track of each pull in the async branch, so I'll have a look at dock panes. I don't need Tasks, I have never wrote any app on it. I just know envisage workbenches, but was recently told Tasks were the way to continue... anyway, I don't quite care about plugins in the Envisage sense. I understand the fact that one has to have priorities, no worries. I'm not sure I have the knowledge to write the Wx part, but why not... I'll have a look.

About the "why not Qt", well, I had this TraitsUI feeling of everything looking fine in Wx, and almost always crappy on Qt. As I understand it, it looks like these differences tend to vanish when UI are built in enaml, time will tell... It's all about the style, I guess.

Best regards from Brussels,

Thom

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:55:39 -0500
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Hi Thomas,

if you are prepared to live on the bleeding edge, the current working branch of Enaml (feature-async) has workbench-like functionality (dock panes) and support for Wx on Windows, at least (it may work acceptably on other platforms, but we only intend to support Windows).  That branch is under heavy active development right now, so be prepared for missing functionality and rapid changes if you follow that route - I'm not sure I'd recommend it at this instant, but in a month or two it may be acceptably stable for development.  Compared to Tasks you would lose the plug-in aspect of Tasks, but this may be acceptable.

It is not impossible to write a Tasks backend for Wx, but Enthought has (and is unlikely to have) no plans to do so, but we would welcome contributions from the community.  The Tasks API is not that big, and uses standard Pyface Actions (which are supported by Wx), so the effort would largely be in writing appropriate dock window support in Wx.

What is the obstacle to using Qt + PySide?

-- Corran

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Lecocq <[hidden email]> wrote:
Outch...

What would then be the best way to integrate traits and enaml in a single "workbench"-like window ?

Thomas

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:31:58 +0100

> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Thomas ' <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Eraldo, Enthought Guys,
> >
> > I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be addressed
> > rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able to run and build
> > applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of ENAML arriving
> > fast...)
>
> I'm sorry, but we do not plan to port the Tasks framework to wx.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Chris Colbert
Just to chime in here.

Thomas, you are much better off in the long run switching to Qt. I will be dropping support for Wx in Enaml at the first possible chance. The only reason it currently exists is because of a paying client. Yes, there are dock panes that work on Wx, but the Wx code which implements it is limited, fragile, and horribly inefficient. Wx, as a whole, is a miserable library to work with as a developer and is chock full of bugs and inefficiencies in both the c++ and Python code bases. There have been many instances of things which have taken me minutes to do in Qt, which takes weeks to do in Wx, if they ever even work at all. I am typically 15x faster at implementing Enaml feature in Qt versus Wx. The Qt versions always work better, look nicer, and consume less resources.

When TraitsUI was first written, it only supported Wx. Qt supported was bolted on later and had less resources devoted to it. Given that, it's no surprise that TraitsUI is more consistent on Wx. But don't let that fool you!

Wx should be avoided for anything other than hobby-level projects. And even then Qt is a better choice.

Just-my-very-opinionated-$0.02,

Chris

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:55:39 -0500
From: [hidden email]

To: [hidden email]

Hi Thomas,

if you are prepared to live on the bleeding edge, the current working branch of Enaml (feature-async) has workbench-like functionality (dock panes) and support for Wx on Windows, at least (it may work acceptably on other platforms, but we only intend to support Windows).  That branch is under heavy active development right now, so be prepared for missing functionality and rapid changes if you follow that route - I'm not sure I'd recommend it at this instant, but in a month or two it may be acceptably stable for development.  Compared to Tasks you would lose the plug-in aspect of Tasks, but this may be acceptable.

It is not impossible to write a Tasks backend for Wx, but Enthought has (and is unlikely to have) no plans to do so, but we would welcome contributions from the community.  The Tasks API is not that big, and uses standard Pyface Actions (which are supported by Wx), so the effort would largely be in writing appropriate dock window support in Wx.

What is the obstacle to using Qt + PySide?

-- Corran

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Lecocq <[hidden email]> wrote:
Outch...

What would then be the best way to integrate traits and enaml in a single "workbench"-like window ?

Thomas

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:31:58 +0100

> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Enthought-Dev] Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Thomas ' <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Eraldo, Enthought Guys,
> >
> > I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be addressed
> > rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able to run and build
> > applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of ENAML arriving
> > fast...)
>
> I'm sorry, but we do not plan to port the Tasks framework to wx.
>
> --
> Robert Kern
> Enthought

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Tiago Pereira
A side-question: will EPD 8 be shipping with PySide?

Thanks,

Tiago

On 28/08/12 1:58 PM, Chris Colbert wrote:

> [...]
>          >
>          > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Thomas ' <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>          > > Eraldo, Enthought Guys,
>          > >
>          > > I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be
>         addressed
>          > > rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able
>         to run and build
>          > > applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of
>         ENAML arriving
>          > > fast...)
>          >
>          > I'm sorry, but we do not plan to port the Tasks framework to wx.
>          >
>          > --
>          > Robert Kern
>          > Enthought

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Yes it will. The EPD GUI uses PySide.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Tiago Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>          >
>          > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Thomas ' <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>          > > Eraldo, Enthought Guys,
>          > >
>          > > I'm "up"-ing this thread, as I think this issue should be
>         addressed
>          > > rapidly... I can't (don't want to?) switch to Qt to be able
>         to run and build
>          > > applications using Envisage+Tasks... (Surely because of
>         ENAML arriving
>          > > fast...)
>          >
>          > I'm sorry, but we do not plan to port the Tasks framework to wx.
>          >
>          > --
>          > Robert Kern
>          > Enthought

Re: Help with Envisage.Tasks example application 'attractors'

Chris,

All right, that's what I needed to understand what's going on ! :-) I'll switch to Qt then :-)

Cheers and thanks for Enaml, that's just great stuff !

Thom

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:55:39 -0500
From: [hidden email]

To: [hidden email]