Focus of field with tabs not working

Raphael Walker
Hello,

It seems that fokus with tabs doesn't work.

If you are entering a field with the mouse the cursor changes from arrow
to "|". This is what we want.
But if the fields are in Tabbed(wx.Notebook). The cursor does not change
<-> the focus does not change.

For testing
Change the line with "Tabbed" to "Group".

wx: 2.9.1.1
traits: 3.4.0
py: 2.7

Regards,
Raphael

believed to be clean.

tab.py (662 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Focus of field with tabs not working

Raphael Walker
Hello again,

Actually there were no feedback on this.
Please can somebody give a hint were to search in the code. so I can try
to fix this by myself.

we need this focus/selection/active-field stuff to select entities in
the TreeView (Nodes) and VTK Scene to be filled in text fields. this is
a wonderful feature and it works fine, if there are no tabs in the
"Properties"-Dialog the values to be filled in.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raphael

On 06.10.2010 14:24, Raphael Walker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that fokus with tabs doesn't work.
>
> If you are entering a field with the mouse the cursor changes from arrow
> to "|". This is what we want.
> But if the fields are in Tabbed(wx.Notebook). The cursor does not change
> <-> the focus does not change.
>
> For testing
> Change the line with "Tabbed" to "Group".
>
> wx: 2.9.1.1
> traits: 3.4.0
> py: 2.7
>
> Regards,
> Raphael

believed to be clean.

Re: Focus of field with tabs not working

Jonathan March
Rafael,

What OS are you using?

It might help if you described in more detail what problem you are
seeing. It sounds as if you are saying that when you mouse-click on
the string edit field in either of your notebook tabs, then the field
does not get focus, and the vertical edit cursor does not appear in
that field. Is that correct?

I don't have your python or wx versions installed (they are newer than
the versions in EPD), but your code seems to run as desired under Win
7 and Mac OSX 10.6.4 with the versions in EPD:
python 2.6.5
wx 2.8.10.1
traits 3.4.0

Jonathan

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Raphael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Actually there were no feedback on this.
> Please can somebody give a hint were to search in the code. so I can try
> to fix this by myself.
>
> we need this focus/selection/active-field stuff to select entities in
> the TreeView (Nodes) and VTK Scene to be filled in text fields. this is
> a wonderful feature and it works fine, if there are no tabs in the
> "Properties"-Dialog the values to be filled in.
>
> Feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Raphael
>
> On 06.10.2010 14:24, Raphael Walker wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It seems that fokus with tabs doesn't work.
>>
>> If you are entering a field with the mouse the cursor changes from arrow
>> to "|". This is what we want.
>> But if the fields are in Tabbed(wx.Notebook). The cursor does not change
>> <-> the focus does not change.
>>
>> For testing
>> Change the line with "Tabbed" to "Group".
>>
>> wx: 2.9.1.1
>> traits: 3.4.0
>> py: 2.7
>>
>> Regards,
>> Raphael

> believed to be clean.

Re: Focus of field with tabs not working

Raphael Walker
Jonathan,

thanks for the reply and some more explanation:

On 07.10.2010 22:36, Jonathan March wrote:
> Rafael,
>
> What OS are you using?

Win7 x64

> It might help if you described in more detail what problem you are
> seeing. It sounds as if you are saying that when you mouse-click on
> the string edit field in either of your notebook tabs, then the field
> does not get focus, and the vertical edit cursor does not appear in
> that field. Is that correct?

Do not click in the field only go over it. if you have *no* tabs, the
cursor changes. if you have tabs the cursor is still an arrow.

Same thing in an older app with:
python 2.6.5
wxpython 2.8.10.1
traits 3.4.0

So i think its wx independent. and not a new "bug" in the back-end.
I also did a wxpython test with tabs and text fields and the problem did
not occur. bit perhaps i didn't use the correct widgets!!!

Tried to make some screenshots.
Actually the cursor is not taken by the printscreen!!!!

I also noticed now, that with no tabs. the first field is highlighted
with blue color. with tabs there is no highlighting.
This is only the case with the simple example I attached. In an complete
application this is not the case.

Thanks for the reply.

Raphael

> I don't have your python or wx versions installed (they are newer than
> the versions in EPD), but your code seems to run as desired under Win
> 7 and Mac OSX 10.6.4 with the versions in EPD:
> python 2.6.5
> wx 2.8.10.1
> traits 3.4.0
>
> Jonathan
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Raphael Walker<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Actually there were no feedback on this.
>> Please can somebody give a hint were to search in the code. so I can try
>> to fix this by myself.
>>
>> we need this focus/selection/active-field stuff to select entities in
>> the TreeView (Nodes) and VTK Scene to be filled in text fields. this is
>> a wonderful feature and it works fine, if there are no tabs in the
>> "Properties"-Dialog the values to be filled in.
>>
>> Feedback would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raphael
>>
>> On 06.10.2010 14:24, Raphael Walker wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> It seems that fokus with tabs doesn't work.
>>>
>>> If you are entering a field with the mouse the cursor changes from arrow
>>> to "|". This is what we want.
>>> But if the fields are in Tabbed(wx.Notebook). The cursor does not change
>>> <->  the focus does not change.
>>>
>>> For testing
>>> Change the line with "Tabbed" to "Group".
>>>
>>> wx: 2.9.1.1
>>> traits: 3.4.0
>>> py: 2.7
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Raphael

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Focus of field with tabs not working

bryce hendrix
Raphael,

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Raphael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do not click in the field only go over it. if you have *no* tabs, the
cursor changes. if you have tabs the cursor is still an arrow.

Same thing in an older app with:
python 2.6.5
wxpython 2.8.10.1
traits 3.4.0

So i think its wx independent. and not a new "bug" in the back-end.
I also did a wxpython test with tabs and text fields and the problem did
not occur. bit perhaps i didn't use the correct widgets!!!

We don't use the standard wx tab controls because the don't allow for dragging. Instead we use a custom implementation, which is similar to the wx aui implementation (our implementation predates the aui implementation in wx).

This appears to be a Windows-only bug, though I'll try to track down and fix the problem tonight or tomorrow.

Re: Focus of field with tabs not working

bryce hendrix
Fixed.

Thanks for the test code.

Bryce