Fast image sequence

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fast image sequence

Denis Lepchev
Hi all,
I have image series (*.tif) of average size ~1mb, and was trying to make a fast slideshow of these images by using Chaco.
The maximum speed that I get is very slow - about 1/2-1 fps, and tests show that bottleneck is not reading, but displaying the images.
The images are being read with help of imread in separate thread, then are displayed in the main application.

Does anyone has an example how to implement fast slideshow or tips how to make it faster? If not, which package/library is best suited to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance,
Denis

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fast image sequence

Chris Colbert
I was trying to use chaco for real time image display recently and the best I was able to get was about 12fps. I talked to Peter about this for a bit and long story short, the Chaco image plot is not really optimized for live images, rather, static images with live overlays. 

Your best bet may be to embed a native image buffer widget of whatever backend you are using into your traits application.

Of course someone else may pop in here and prove me wrong. We can't rule out that possibility :)


On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Denis Lepchev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
I have image series (*.tif) of average size ~1mb, and was trying to make a fast slideshow of these images by using Chaco.
The maximum speed that I get is very slow - about 1/2-1 fps, and tests show that bottleneck is not reading, but displaying the images.
The images are being read with help of imread in separate thread, then are displayed in the main application.

Does anyone has an example how to implement fast slideshow or tips how to make it faster? If not, which package/library is best suited to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance,
Denis

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev



_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fast image sequence

Denis Lepchev
Hi Chris,
Thank for the replay. I am relatively new to python - can you advice on some backend that is able to perform fast on this task? Matplotlib is good for this?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Chris Colbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was trying to use chaco for real time image display recently and the best I was able to get was about 12fps. I talked to Peter about this for a bit and long story short, the Chaco image plot is not really optimized for live images, rather, static images with live overlays. 

Your best bet may be to embed a native image buffer widget of whatever backend you are using into your traits application.

Of course someone else may pop in here and prove me wrong. We can't rule out that possibility :)


On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Denis Lepchev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
I have image series (*.tif) of average size ~1mb, and was trying to make a fast slideshow of these images by using Chaco.
The maximum speed that I get is very slow - about 1/2-1 fps, and tests show that bottleneck is not reading, but displaying the images.
The images are being read with help of imread in separate thread, then are displayed in the main application.

Does anyone has an example how to implement fast slideshow or tips how to make it faster? If not, which package/library is best suited to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance,
Denis

_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev



_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev



_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fast image sequence

Robert Kern
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Denis Lepchev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> Thank for the replay. I am relatively new to python - can you advice on some
> backend that is able to perform fast on this task? Matplotlib is good for
> this?

Probably not. It has most of the same concerns. Chaco and matplotlib
are for plotting, not for displaying images, so they treat images more
slowly than a pure image display program would.

Using OpenGL to blit the image onto the screen is a good approach. You
may want to take a look at Andrew Straw's motmot package which
displays realtime video:

  http://code.astraw.com/projects/motmot/

--
Robert Kern
Enthought
_______________________________________________
Enthought-Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/enthought-dev