Estimate a delaunay computation time

Lionel-3
Hello,

I want my application to apply an mlab.pipeline.delaunay3d filter on
some datas. However, in some cases, it takes ages and I would like to
warn the user of this, and ask for a confirmation.

To do this, I would need to estimate the time (or at least, the number
of operations, or something like that) that the delaunay3d function will
take.

Can anyone think of a way to achieve this ?

Lionel

Re: Estimate a delaunay computation time

Gael Varoquaux
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:20:04AM +0100, Lionel wrote:
> I want my application to apply an mlab.pipeline.delaunay3d filter on
> some datas. However, in some cases, it takes ages and I would like to
> warn the user of this, and ask for a confirmation.

> To do this, I would need to estimate the time (or at least, the number
> of operations, or something like that) that the delaunay3d function will
> take.

> Can anyone think of a way to achieve this ?

I can't think of one. I don't know enough about Delaunay.

Gaƫl

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Lionel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want my application to apply an mlab.pipeline.delaunay3d filter on
> some datas. However, in some cases, it takes ages and I would like to
> warn the user of this, and ask for a confirmation.
>
> To do this, I would need to estimate the time (or at least, the number
> of operations, or something like that) that the delaunay3d function will
> take.
>
> Can anyone think of a way to achieve this ?

Just find the smallest number of points that takes too long in your
opinion (roughly), and use that as a cutoff. Don't bother estimating
the time for the user, just say "This may take a while. Are you
sure?".

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco

Robert Kern wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Lionel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want my application to apply an mlab.pipeline.delaunay3d filter on
>> some datas. However, in some cases, it takes ages and I would like to
>> warn the user of this, and ask for a confirmation.
>>
>> To do this, I would need to estimate the time (or at least, the number
>> of operations, or something like that) that the delaunay3d function will
>> take.
>>
>> Can anyone think of a way to achieve this ?
>
> Just find the smallest number of points that takes too long in your
> opinion (roughly), and use that as a cutoff. Don't bother estimating
> the time for the user, just say "This may take a while. Are you
> sure?".

Alright, thanks :)

Lionel