ETS installation advice, OS X

Gary Pajer
My new employer has given me a MacBook, and he wants me to try to install ETS rather than buy a subscription to EPD.  #sigh#

I am not facile on a Mac yet so I need advice. What's the easiest way to install ETS on a brand new MacBook Pro,  w/ Intel i7,  OS X 10.6.3?   Should I install python from python.org?  Do I have to worry at all about this being a 64 bit machine?  Etc??

The OIT guy says the python that comes with the Mac is fully functional, but I seem to hear talk that it's not quite ... right.  He came over and typed easy_install ETS and that just didn't work.

TIA !!
-gary

Re: ETS installation advice, OS X

Ilan Schnell
Hello Gary,

Yes, you should install Python from the python.org site,
then you need to install numpy, scipy, wxPython and
possibly other packages, depending on which things in
ETS you want to use.  For example Mayavi requires VTK
to run.  All MacBock's are 64 bit, but I should install the
32-bit Python, and build everything for 32-bit.
I would not install things into the system Python, because
other things relay on it, and you don't want to mess things
up.
Personally, I think it's ridiculous that your boss wants you
to install ETS yourself, because you could easily spend a
few days getting things to work, so it is *much* cheaper to
buy EPD (plus it has numpy, scipy linked to MKL, and you
get support).

Cheers   Ilan

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Gary Pajer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My new employer has given me a MacBook, and he wants me to try to install
> ETS rather than buy a subscription to EPD.  #sigh#
> I am not facile on a Mac yet so I need advice. What's the easiest way to
> install ETS on a brand new MacBook Pro,  w/ Intel i7,  OS X 10.6.3?   Should
> I install python from python.org?  Do I have to worry at all about this
> being a 64 bit machine?  Etc??
> The OIT guy says the python that comes with the Mac is fully functional, but
> I seem to hear talk that it's not quite ... right.  He came over and typed
> easy_install ETS and that just didn't work.
> TIA !!
> -gary

Re: ETS installation advice, OS X

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Gary Pajer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My new employer has given me a MacBook, and he wants me to try to install
> ETS rather than buy a subscription to EPD.  #sigh#

Keep a log of the hours you've spent trying to get stuff built and
multiply by your burn rate. Then show him our sticker price again. :-)

And remind him that the continuing subscription is just for updates.
EPD is entirely yours once you've purchased it the one time.

But enough of the commercial:

> I am not facile on a Mac yet so I need advice. What's the easiest way to
> install ETS on a brand new MacBook Pro,  w/ Intel i7,  OS X 10.6.3?   Should
> I install python from python.org?  Do I have to worry at all about this
> being a 64 bit machine?  Etc??
> The OIT guy says the python that comes with the Mac is fully functional, but
> I seem to hear talk that it's not quite ... right.  He came over and typed
> easy_install ETS and that just didn't work.

Well, that's probably ETS's fault rather than Apple's, but still...
Yes, we recommend the python.org binary over Apple's. Apple's isn't
bad or broken; it's just Apple's. It isn't worth messing with or
overriding whatever version of numpy they decided to dump on the
system.

As I've mentioned in a previous email, the 64-bitness of the OS will
mostly come into play when you build C/C++ libraries that you then
build extension modules against. You will need to make sure that they
are built with the correct "-arch x86" flag for compilation and
linking in order to work well with the 32-bit version of Python. Which
you will want to use for the GUIs. The python.org binary is a
universal binary, so it will still try to build ppc and ppc64 (and
maybe x86_64) versions of your extension modules, so you will still
get some warnings about not being able to find appropriate libraries
for those architectures. As long as the x86 architecture succeeds,
you're good.

The wxpython.org binary installer should work fine. If you want to
build Enable against that, you will need to set the environment
variable WX_CONFIG to point to the wx-config executable somewhere in
there. I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with that configuration.
We have had reports about that part not building correctly on OS X
10.6, but we have not had the time to investigate. We build EPD on
10.5 for compatibility.

If you want to use PyQt4, there are no binaries, but the directions
are straightforward and usually work well. Get the Qt SDK binary
installer, though; don't try to build Qt itself from source.

VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
installation instructions (USE_COCOA=off, USE_CARBON=on are the
important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.

Good luck! Please come back with any problems.

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Gary Pajer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My new employer has given me a MacBook, and he wants me to try to install
> ETS rather than buy a subscription to EPD.  #sigh#

Keep a log of the hours you've spent trying to get stuff built and
multiply by your burn rate. Then show him our sticker price again. :-)

And remind him that the continuing subscription is just for updates.
EPD is entirely yours once you've purchased it the one time.

But enough of the commercial:

As you suggested to me privately earlier, I'll install the trial version and then move on from there.

I forgot about that option.

-gary

> I am not facile on a Mac yet so I need advice. What's the easiest way to
> install ETS on a brand new MacBook Pro,  w/ Intel i7,  OS X 10.6.3?   Should
> I install python from python.org?  Do I have to worry at all about this
> being a 64 bit machine?  Etc??
> The OIT guy says the python that comes with the Mac is fully functional, but
> I seem to hear talk that it's not quite ... right.  He came over and typed
> easy_install ETS and that just didn't work.

Well, that's probably ETS's fault rather than Apple's, but still...
Yes, we recommend the python.org binary over Apple's. Apple's isn't
bad or broken; it's just Apple's. It isn't worth messing with or
overriding whatever version of numpy they decided to dump on the
system.

As I've mentioned in a previous email, the 64-bitness of the OS will
mostly come into play when you build C/C++ libraries that you then
build extension modules against. You will need to make sure that they
are built with the correct "-arch x86" flag for compilation and
linking in order to work well with the 32-bit version of Python. Which
you will want to use for the GUIs. The python.org binary is a
universal binary, so it will still try to build ppc and ppc64 (and
maybe x86_64) versions of your extension modules, so you will still
get some warnings about not being able to find appropriate libraries
for those architectures. As long as the x86 architecture succeeds,
you're good.

The wxpython.org binary installer should work fine. If you want to
build Enable against that, you will need to set the environment
variable WX_CONFIG to point to the wx-config executable somewhere in
there. I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with that configuration.
We have had reports about that part not building correctly on OS X
10.6, but we have not had the time to investigate. We build EPD on
10.5 for compatibility.

If you want to use PyQt4, there are no binaries, but the directions
are straightforward and usually work well. Get the Qt SDK binary
installer, though; don't try to build Qt itself from source.

VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
installation instructions (USE_COCOA=off, USE_CARBON=on are the
important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.

Good luck! Please come back with any problems.

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco

Re: ETS installation advice, OS X

Dav Clark
On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Robert Kern wrote:

> VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
> installation instructions (USE_COCOA=off, USE_CARBON=on are the
> important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.

Note that the last time I checked, VTK still only compiles for the
python it thinks is the most "current' (nothing to do with PATH, or
even the config used by cmake). So, be sure you are planning to
install ETS on the highest-versioned python.org install that you've
got on your machine.

For example, if you have a python.org python installed, you cannot
(easily) install VTK python libs for the system python. Likewise if
you have python.org 2.5 and 2.6 installed in parallel, it will only
install (easily) to 2.6.

I tried filing a bug report on this twice, then gave up. If someone
thinks it's important and wants to see it fixed, let me know!

Cheers,
Dav

Re: ETS installation advice, OS X

Jonathan Blakes
This is a script I wrote to install PyQt4 *and* QScintilla needed by
CodeEditor on TraitsBackendQt and Mac OS X Leopard. It deals with the
32-bit arch flags that are not obviously for QScintilla... Freezing your
Traits application with py2app is another challenge in itself.

<snip>

#!/bin/bash

# variables:

# TMPDIR is a prefix: the directory 'PyQt4_Qsci' is created inside it
TMPDIR=/var/tmp

# EPDVER and PYVER change with the version of EPD, update as necessary
EPDVER=6.2
PYVER=2.6

echo "Installer for sip/PyQt4/QScintilla"
echo
echo "Please ensure that the following dependencies have been installed
before continuing:"
echo "32-bit Cocoa-based Qt
(http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-cocoa-opensource-4.6.2.dmg)"
echo "Enthought Python Distribution
(http://www.enthought.com/products/edudownload.php)"
echo
echo "Run this script in a new terminal *after* EPD has been installed,
otherwise it will use the system Python and fail."
echo
echo "Press ENTER to continue or Ctrl-C to abort."
read
echo
sudo echo "Started..."

# fix symbolic links in EPD
sudo ln -s
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/$EPDVER/include/python$PYVER
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/$EPDVER/include/python$EPDVER
sudo ln -s
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/$EPDVER/lib/python$PYVER
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/$EPDVER/lib/python$EPDVER

# change to temporary directory
mkdir -p $TMPDIR/PyQt4_Qsci && cd $TMPDIR/PyQt4_Qsci

# sip
SIP_VERSION=4.10.2
if [ ! -f sip-$SIP_VERSION.tar.gz ]
then
     ftp
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Downloads/sip4/sip-$SIP_VERSION.tar.gz
fi
tar -xzf sip-$SIP_VERSION.tar.gz && cd sip-$SIP_VERSION && python
configure.py --arch=i386 && make && sudo make install && cd ..

# qscintilla2
QSCI_VERSION=2.4.3
if [ ! -f QScintilla-gpl-$QSCI_VERSION.tar.gz ]
then
     ftp
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Downloads/QScintilla2/QScintilla-gpl-$QSCI_VERSION.tar.gz
fi
tar -xzf  QScintilla-gpl-$QSCI_VERSION.tar.gz && cd
QScintilla-gpl-$QSCI_VERSION/Qt4 && qmake -spec macx-g++ qscintilla.pro
# backup Makefile
cp Makefile _Makefile
# fix Makefile according to: http://markmail.org/thread/opnfqsq7e5zbsjpf
sed -e 's/= g++/= g++ -arch i386/' Makefile > Makefile_ && cp Makefile_
Makefile
#make clean &&
make && sudo make install && cd ../..

# PyQt
PYQT_VERSION=4.7.3
if [ ! -f PyQt-mac-gpl-$PYQT_VERSION.tar.gz ]
then
     ftp
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Downloads/PyQt4/PyQt-mac-gpl-$PYQT_VERSION.tar.gz
fi
tar -xzf PyQt-mac-gpl-$PYQT_VERSION.tar.gz && cd
PyQt-mac-gpl-$PYQT_VERSION && python configure.py --use-arch=i386 <<HERE
yes
HERE
make && sudo make install && cd ..

# qscintilla2 Python module: qsci
cd QScintilla-gpl-$QSCI_VERSION/Python && python configure.py && make &&
sudo make install && cd ..

# test
python -c 'import PyQt4; print PyQt4'

python <<HERE
from enthought.traits.api import HasTraits, Code

class Test(HasTraits):
     code = Code

Test().configure_traits()
HERE

<snip>

On -10/01/37 20:59, Robert Kern wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Gary Pajer<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> My new employer has given me a MacBook, and he wants me to try to install
>> ETS rather than buy a subscription to EPD.  #sigh#
>
> Keep a log of the hours you've spent trying to get stuff built and
> multiply by your burn rate. Then show him our sticker price again. :-)
>
> And remind him that the continuing subscription is just for updates.
> EPD is entirely yours once you've purchased it the one time.
>
> But enough of the commercial:
>
>> I am not facile on a Mac yet so I need advice. What's the easiest way to
>> install ETS on a brand new MacBook Pro,  w/ Intel i7,  OS X 10.6.3?   Should
>> I install python from python.org?  Do I have to worry at all about this
>> being a 64 bit machine?  Etc??
>> The OIT guy says the python that comes with the Mac is fully functional, but
>> I seem to hear talk that it's not quite ... right.  He came over and typed
>> easy_install ETS and that just didn't work.
>
> Well, that's probably ETS's fault rather than Apple's, but still...
> Yes, we recommend the python.org binary over Apple's. Apple's isn't
> bad or broken; it's just Apple's. It isn't worth messing with or
> overriding whatever version of numpy they decided to dump on the
> system.
>
> As I've mentioned in a previous email, the 64-bitness of the OS will
> mostly come into play when you build C/C++ libraries that you then
> build extension modules against. You will need to make sure that they
> are built with the correct "-arch x86" flag for compilation and
> linking in order to work well with the 32-bit version of Python. Which
> you will want to use for the GUIs. The python.org binary is a
> universal binary, so it will still try to build ppc and ppc64 (and
> maybe x86_64) versions of your extension modules, so you will still
> get some warnings about not being able to find appropriate libraries
> for those architectures. As long as the x86 architecture succeeds,
> you're good.
>
> The wxpython.org binary installer should work fine. If you want to
> build Enable against that, you will need to set the environment
> variable WX_CONFIG to point to the wx-config executable somewhere in
> there. I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with that configuration.
> We have had reports about that part not building correctly on OS X
> 10.6, but we have not had the time to investigate. We build EPD on
> 10.5 for compatibility.
>
> If you want to use PyQt4, there are no binaries, but the directions
> are straightforward and usually work well. Get the Qt SDK binary
> installer, though; don't try to build Qt itself from source.
>
> VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
> installation instructions (USE_COCOA=f, USE_CARBON=on are the
> important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.
>
> Good luck! Please come back with any problems.

Re: ETS installation advice, OS X

bryce hendrix-2
btw- in SVN trunk I have changed the CodeEditor to not use QScintilla.
Its still a work in progress, but it appears to be mostly functional
for python code. The upshot for you is, no more QScintilla dependencies!

Bryce

Quoting Jonathan Blakes <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>
>> The wxpython.org binary installer should work fine. If you want to
>> build Enable against that, you will need to set the environment
>> variable WX_CONFIG to point to the wx-config executable somewhere in
>> there. I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with that configuration.
>> We have had reports about that part not building correctly on OS X
>> 10.6, but we have not had the time to investigate. We build EPD on
>> 10.5 for compatibility.
>>
>> If you want to use PyQt4, there are no binaries, but the directions
>> are straightforward and usually work well. Get the Qt SDK binary
>> installer, though; don't try to build Qt itself from source.
>>
>> VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
>> installation instructions (USE_COCOA=f, USE_CARBON=on are the
>> important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.
>>
>> Good luck! Please come back with any problems.

Gael Varoquaux
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:18:28AM -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> btw- in SVN trunk I have changed the CodeEditor to not use QScintilla.
> Its still a work in progress, but it appears to be mostly functional
> for python code. The upshot for you is, no more QScintilla dependencies!

Cool. In my experience, too many dependencies are a killer in terms of
making software easy to install.

Gaël

Re: ETS installation advice, OS X

Christian K.

Hi Robert,

thank you for the instructions.

Am 13.07.10 17:54, schrieb Robert Kern:

> VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
> installation instructions (USE_COCOA=off, USE_CARBON=on are the
> important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.

Why should I choose CARBON instead of COCOA? Does this hold for Snow
Leopard, too?
And could you give me a hint how to have the python moules installed to
the Python Framework's site-packages rather than to /usr/local/lib?

Regards, Christian

Re: ETS installation advice, OS X

Robert Kern
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Christian K. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> thank you for the instructions.
>
> Am 13.07.10 17:54, schrieb Robert Kern:
>
>> VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
>> installation instructions (USE_COCOA=off, USE_CARBON=on are the
>> important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.
>
> Why should I choose CARBON instead of COCOA? Does this hold for Snow
> Leopard, too?

Yes. wx uses Carbon, not Cocoa, so VTK must, too.

> And could you give me a hint how to have the python moules installed to
> the Python Framework's site-packages rather than to /usr/local/lib?

Unless if you have changed something, "python setup.py install" should
install packages to the site-packages inside the framework, not
/usr/local/lib/. Check for a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file.

Am 15.07.10 17:08, schrieb Robert Kern:
>>> VTK is usually straightforward enough with the generic ETS
>>> installation instructions (USE_COCOA=off, USE_CARBON=on are the
>>> important settings). Again, make sure it is 32-bit.
>>
>> Why should I choose CARBON instead of COCOA? Does this hold for Snow
>> Leopard, too?
>
> Yes. wx uses Carbon, not Cocoa, so VTK must, too.

I see.

>> And could you give me a hint how to have the python moules installed to
>> the Python Framework's site-packages rather than to /usr/local/lib?
>
> Unless if you have changed something, "python setup.py install" should
> install packages to the site-packages inside the framework, not
> /usr/local/lib/. Check for a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file.

Right, running setup.py manually works as expected. The problem is that
"make install" calls setup.py with --prefix=/usr/local/ argument.

Btw. I found that it is crucial to set CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386 to
prevent building for 64 bit on Snow Leopard.

Unfortunately, python crashes when importing vtk:

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79359, Mar 24 2010, 01:32:55)
 >>> import vtk
Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
Abort trap

Python is that one from python.org (2.6.5).

vtkpython however works fine:

vtk version 5.6.0
Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Feb 11 2010, 00:51:29)

I am wondering where he picks up version 2.6.1 though.....

Any ideas?

Regards, Christian

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Christian K. <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Why should I choose CARBON instead of COCOA? Does this hold for Snow
>>> Leopard, too?
>>
>> Yes. wx uses Carbon, not Cocoa, so VTK must, too.
>
> I see.
>
>>> And could you give me a hint how to have the python moules installed to
>>> the Python Framework's site-packages rather than to /usr/local/lib?
>>
>> Unless if you have changed something, "python setup.py install" should
>> install packages to the site-packages inside the framework, not
>> /usr/local/lib/. Check for a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file.
>
> Right, running setup.py manually works as expected. The problem is that
> "make install" calls setup.py with --prefix=/usr/local/ argument.

Well, that's a bug with VTK's build system, then.

> Btw. I found that it is crucial to set CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386 to
> prevent building for 64 bit on Snow Leopard.

Ah, great. That's the setting I didn't know.

> Unfortunately, python crashes when importing vtk:
>
> Python 2.6.5 (r265:79359, Mar 24 2010, 01:32:55)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)] on darwin
>  >>> import vtk
> Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
> Abort trap
>
> Python is that one from python.org (2.6.5).
>
> vtkpython however works fine:
>
> vtk version 5.6.0
> Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Feb 11 2010, 00:51:29)
> [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)] on darwin
>
> I am wondering where he picks up version 2.6.1 though.....

That's Apple's Python. Your CMake configuration managed to choose that
instead of the python.org executable. The VTK package was also built
against that, and that (for some reason) is causing a failure when you
try to import it from the python.org Python.

Am 15.07.10 23:34, schrieb Robert Kern:

>>> Yes. wx uses Carbon, not Cocoa, so VTK must, too.
>>
>> I see.

>>> Unless if you have changed something, "python setup.py install" should
>>> install packages to the site-packages inside the framework, not
>>> /usr/local/lib/. Check for a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file.
>>
>> Right, running setup.py manually works as expected. The problem is that
>> "make install" calls setup.py with --prefix=/usr/local/ argument.
>
> Well, that's a bug with VTK's build system, then.
>
>> Btw. I found that it is crucial to set CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=i386 to
>> prevent building for 64 bit on Snow Leopard.
>
> Ah, great. That's the setting I didn't know.
>
>> Unfortunately, python crashes when importing vtk:
>>
>> Python 2.6.5 (r265:79359, Mar 24 2010, 01:32:55)
>> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)] on darwin
>>   >>>  import vtk
>> Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
>> Abort trap
>>
>> Python is that one from python.org (2.6.5).
>>
>> vtkpython however works fine:
>>
>> vtk version 5.6.0
>> Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Feb 11 2010, 00:51:29)
>> [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)] on darwin
>>
>> I am wondering where he picks up version 2.6.1 though.....
>
> That's Apple's Python. Your CMake configuration managed to choose that
> instead of the python.org executable. The VTK package was also built
> against that, and that (for some reason) is causing a failure when you
> try to import it from the python.org Python.

I found the problem. For the records:

cmake did find my python installation (the Apple one is that in
/System/Library/...)

PYTHON_EXECUTABLE
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/bin/python2.6

  PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Headers

  PYTHON_LIBRARY
/usr/lib/libpython2.6.dylib

but libpython2.6 in /usr/lib was symlinking to /System/Library/....

So I had to change either the symlink or set PYTHON_LIBRARY to

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python

Christian