ETS 3.5.0 released

Ilan Schnell
Hello,

I am pleased to announce that ETS 3.5.0 is now
released.  Because the last ETS (3.4.1) was released
almost half a year ago, there are many bug fixes and
new features.  All projects descriptions are updated
on PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi

The source tarballs can be downloaded from:
http://www.enthought.com/repo/ets/

In addition, this release includes a replacement for
ETSProjectTools, which allows downloading and
installing ETS from the SVN repository:
https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/Install#Download-ETS-source

This ETS release will be included in the upcoming
EPD 6.3 release, which we are planning to release
in two weeks.

Best wishes  Ilan

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

Peter Wang
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Ilan Schnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that ETS 3.5.0 is now
> released.  Because the last ETS (3.4.1) was released
> almost half a year ago, there are many bug fixes and
> new features.  All projects descriptions are updated
> on PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi

Thanks for doing the release, Ilan!

> In addition, this release includes a replacement for
> ETSProjectTools, which allows downloading and
> installing ETS from the SVN repository:
> https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/Install#Download-ETS-source

I wanted to reiterate this to everyone: There is a new, easy-to-use
script for grabbing the ETS source, updating, and building everything
in one shot.  It replaces ETSProjectTools.  I would encourage everyone
to check it out (no pun intended)!

-Peter

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

Lev Givon
Received from Ilan Schnell on Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 01:36:19AM EDT:

> Hello,
>
> I am pleased to announce that ETS 3.5.0 is now
> released.  Because the last ETS (3.4.1) was released
> almost half a year ago, there are many bug fixes and
> new features.  All projects descriptions are updated
> on PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi
>
> The source tarballs can be downloaded from:
> http://www.enthought.com/repo/ets/
>
> In addition, this release includes a replacement for
> ETSProjectTools, which allows downloading and
> installing ETS from the SVN repository:
> https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/Install#Download-ETS-source
>
> This ETS release will be included in the upcoming
> EPD 6.3 release, which we are planning to release
> in two weeks.
>
> Best wishes  Ilan

Updated packages for Mandriva cooker (i.e., the development version of
Mandriva Linux) are available in the cooker/contrib repository on your
favorite Mandriva mirror.

                                                L.G.

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

Gael Varoquaux
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:49:28PM -0400, Lev Givon wrote:
> Updated packages for Mandriva cooker (i.e., the development version of
> Mandriva Linux) are available in the cooker/contrib repository on your
> favorite Mandriva mirror.

Nice, nice. Now if I can only can my departement to upgrade the Mandriva
version on the boxes to something more recent than 2008.0 :)

Thanks,

Gaël

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:36:19AM -0500, Ilan Schnell wrote:
> This ETS release will be included in the upcoming
> EPD 6.3 release, which we are planning to release
> in two weeks.

Hey Ilan,

Any chance that scikit-learn (http://scikit-learn.sourceforge.net/) might
be included in EPD in the near future? It is a toolkit for machine
learning in Python with only numpy, scipy and matplotlib as dependencies.
It is BSD-licensed, includes efficient state-of-the art algorithms and is
under heavy developement.

We haven't pushed for inclusion in distributions until now, as up to now
the code wasn't terribly stable, but we are reaching a certain degree of
stability (next release might be 1.0).

We try to make sure that the building and installing is easy, so it
shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, if you hit problems under
one of the many architectures that you support, we will be glad to fix
these issues and release bug-fix releases.

For any packager lingering on this mailing list (Lev?) this call also
applies :). The scikit is currently packaged under ubuntu and debian, and
will be in the next python(x,y) release.

Cheers,

Gaël

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

Ilan Schnell
Hello Gael,

I've looked at scikits.learn, about half a year ago (version
0.3) and there where problems on Windows.  I can look
into building it again.
I am planning to add scikits.statsmodels to the next EPD
release because pandas requires it.

- Ilan

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:36:19AM -0500, Ilan Schnell wrote:
>> This ETS release will be included in the upcoming
>> EPD 6.3 release, which we are planning to release
>> in two weeks.
>
> Hey Ilan,
>
> Any chance that scikit-learn (http://scikit-learn.sourceforge.net/) might
> be included in EPD in the near future? It is a toolkit for machine
> learning in Python with only numpy, scipy and matplotlib as dependencies.
> It is BSD-licensed, includes efficient state-of-the art algorithms and is
> under heavy developement.
>
> We haven't pushed for inclusion in distributions until now, as up to now
> the code wasn't terribly stable, but we are reaching a certain degree of
> stability (next release might be 1.0).
>
> We try to make sure that the building and installing is easy, so it
> shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, if you hit problems under
> one of the many architectures that you support, we will be glad to fix
> these issues and release bug-fix releases.
>
> For any packager lingering on this mailing list (Lev?) this call also
> applies :). The scikit is currently packaged under ubuntu and debian, and
> will be in the next python(x,y) release.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gaël

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

Gael Varoquaux
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 05:07:31PM -0500, Ilan Schnell wrote:
> I've looked at scikits.learn, about half a year ago (version
> 0.3) and there where problems on Windows.  I can look
> into building it again.

In the mean time we have had an engineer working on it full time for
9 months, so a lot of things have changed :).

If you find any problems, please report them, so that we can fix them.

Gaël

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

Lev Givon
Received from Gael Varoquaux on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 05:46:28PM EDT:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:36:19AM -0500, Ilan Schnell wrote:
> > This ETS release will be included in the upcoming
> > EPD 6.3 release, which we are planning to release
> > in two weeks.
>
> Hey Ilan,
>
> Any chance that scikit-learn (http://scikit-learn.sourceforge.net/) might
> be included in EPD in the near future? It is a toolkit for machine
> learning in Python with only numpy, scipy and matplotlib as dependencies.
> It is BSD-licensed, includes efficient state-of-the art algorithms and is
> under heavy developement.
>
> We haven't pushed for inclusion in distributions until now, as up to now
> the code wasn't terribly stable, but we are reaching a certain degree of
> stability (next release might be 1.0).
>
> We try to make sure that the building and installing is easy, so it
> shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, if you hit problems under
> one of the many architectures that you support, we will be glad to fix
> these issues and release bug-fix releases.
>
> For any packager lingering on this mailing list (Lev?) this call also
> applies :). The scikit is currently packaged under ubuntu and debian, and
> will be in the next python(x,y) release.

Packaged and built for Mandriva 2010.1 and cooker.

                                                        L.G.

Re: ETS 3.5.0 released

Gael Varoquaux
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:14:57AM -0400, Lev Givon wrote:
> > For any packager lingering on this mailing list (Lev?) this call also
> > applies :). The scikit is currently packaged under ubuntu and debian, and
> > will be in the next python(x,y) release.

> Packaged and built for Mandriva 2010.1 and cooker.

You rock :)