ETS-3.4 and Mayavi-3.3.1 installation is missing icons? (not installed ...)

ETS-3.4 and Mayavi-3.3.1 installation is missing icons? (not installed ...)

robert somerville
Thank Gael;

the key to seeing the issues i am seeing is to build ETS in a clean directory[(virtualbox?)]  (seems to happen both with easy_install (for sure) ,and also with the "ets co ..." install route (although i have not been very rigorous about absolutely confirming the 2nd route has problems ) but my first attempt seemed to indicate no improvement my situation ..

my old Ubuntu Synaptic packages seemed to grabbing the icons from all over, including /usr/share/pyshared/enthought/pyface/images/ ).. so i am not sure where i should place these icons my builds ... i have tried some obvious places, sometimes it works for me , sometimes it doesn't ....

so do your clean install/build & then startup mayavi2, you should hopefully see the issues i am having

Thanks
Robert Somerville

Re: ETS-3.4 and Mayavi-3.3.1 installation is missing icons? (not installed ...)

Christoph Willing

On 23/03/2010, at 1:58 AM, robert somerville wrote:

> Thank Gael;
>
> the key to seeing the issues i am seeing is to build ETS in a clean
> directory[(virtualbox?)]  (seems to happen both with easy_install
> (for sure) ,and also with the "ets co ..." install route (although i
> have not been very rigorous about absolutely confirming the 2nd
> route has problems ) but my first attempt seemed to indicate no
> improvement my situation ..

Robert,

My earlier advice about using the ETSProjectTools approach was on a
Slackware system. I've now repeated that approach this morning on a
near new 64bit Ubuntu 9.10 that I happened to have installed in a
virtual machine - it previously had the Synaptic installed version of
mayavi2 on it.

> my old Ubuntu Synaptic packages

I discovered that this (having another enthought product installed)
was a problem when trying to compile the new version. I removed that
earlier version (sudo apt-get remove mayavi2; sudo autoremove), then
started compiling the new version again.

Here are all the commands I used for a direct local installation -
building to make a nice clean .deb is quite different:

svn co https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/ETSProjectTools/trunk
ETSProjectTools
sudo apt-get install python-setuptools
cd ETSProjectTools/
sudo python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local
cd
ets co ETS
mv ETS_3.3.1 ETS-r25416 ;# rename to reflect the svn revision number
of this checkout
tar jcvf ETS-r25416.tar.bz2 ETS-r25416 ;# just keeping a copy for later
cd ETS-r25416/
sudo ets install -c"--prefix=/usr/local" 2>&1 |tee op

There were some occasional build failures due to requirements for
other packages not yet installed. Having a log file ("op" from the
last command) made it easier to track down what those packages might
be. They may be different on your system, depending on what you
already have, but here is the list of additional packages I installed
as failures cropped up. After installing each of the additional
packages, I ran:
     sudo ets clean
then started again with:
     sudo ets install -c"--prefix=/usr/local" 2>&1 |tee op

Other packages installation commands:
sudo apt-get install python-dev
sudo apt-get install libxtst-dev
sudo apt-get install swig
sudo apt-get install scons
sudo apt-get install python-numpy-dev
sudo apt-get install python-vtk
sudo apt-get install pyqt4-dev-tools
sudo apt-get install python2.6-wxgtk2.8
sudo apt-get install python-configobj
(you could install them all in one go before you start)

After finally installing ETS, trying to run mayavi2 initially resulted
in failure due to a missing preferences.ini file so I copied it from
the source tree (still in the ETS-r25416 directory):
     sudo cp EnvisagePlugins/enthought/envisage/ui/workbench/
preferences.ini  /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/enthought/
envisage/ui/workbench/
and also:
     sudo cp EnthoughtBase/enthought/logger/plugin/preferences.ini /
usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/enthought/logger/plugin/

After that I was able to run mayavi2 without any problems (so far).
All icons seem to be where they belong.

I've now used this technique with two quite diverse systems
(Slackware64-13.0 & Ubuntu 9.10) in the last few days and they both
work. Perhaps the problems you're having are related to the existing
installation - try removing it and start again. Also, having a log
file of the compilation is really handy.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland

Re: ETS-3.4 and Mayavi-3.3.1 installation is missing icons? (not installed ...)

Gael Varoquaux
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:04:30PM +1000, Christoph Willing wrote:
> On 23/03/2010, at 1:58 AM, robert somerville wrote:
> > the key to seeing the issues i am seeing is to build ETS in a clean
> > directory[(virtualbox?)]  (seems to happen both with easy_install
> > (for sure) ,and also with the "ets co ..." install route (although i
> > have not been very rigorous about absolutely confirming the 2nd
> > route has problems ) but my first attempt seemed to indicate no
> > improvement my situation ..

> My earlier advice about using the ETSProjectTools approach was on a
> Slackware system. I've now repeated that approach this morning on a
> near new 64bit Ubuntu 9.10 that I happened to have installed in a
> virtual machine - it previously had the Synaptic installed version of
> mayavi2 on it.

> I discovered that this (having another enthought product installed)
> was a problem when trying to compile the new version. I removed that
> earlier version (sudo apt-get remove mayavi2; sudo autoremove), then
> started compiling the new version again.

I just tried to reproduce the problems reported, and couldn't. Could it
be that they were due to having another version of ETS installed?

If so, Robert, or anybody else who understands packaging/setuptools well,
is there anything that we can do about it?

Gaël