EPD 6.1 & Upcoming Webinars

Amenity Applewhite
March is shaping up to be as busy as ever: planning
SciPy 2010 (http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2010),
two great webinars...and a new release of EPD!

* Enthought Python Distribution 6.1 *

In EPD 6.1, NumPy and SciPy are dynamically linked
against the MKL linear algebra routines. This allows
EPD users to seamlessly benefit from the highly
optimized BLAS and LAPACK routines in the MKL.

We were certainly expecting to observe performance
improvements, but we were surprised at just how
dramatic the optimizations were for applications
run on dual and multi-core Intel(R) processors.
Refer to our benchmarking tests for more info:

  http://www.enthought.com/epd/mkl/

Then try it yourself!

  http://www.enthought.com/products/getepd.php

* Enthought March Webinars *

This Friday, Travis Oliphant will lead a webinar on
optimization methods in EPD. Then, on the 19th, we'll
host a webinar on Python libraries for integrating
C and C++ code, namely Weave, Cython, and ctypes.

Enthought Python Distribution Webinar
How do I... optimize?
Friday, March 5: 1pm CST/7pm UTC
Wait-list (for non-subscribers): email

  [hidden email]

Scientific Computing with Python Webinar
Weave, Cython, and ctypes
Friday, March 19: 1pm CST/7pm UTC
Register:

  https://www.gotomeeting.com/register/335697152

Enjoy!

~ The Enthought Team ~

Open Course Austin, TX:

  http://www.enthought.com/training/open-austin-sci.php

  Python for Scientists and Engineers
  * May 17- 19

  Interfacing with C / C++ and Fortran
  * May 20

  Introduction to UIs and Visualization
  * May 21

Financial Open Course, London, UK:

  http://www.enthought.com/training/open-london-fin.php

  Python for Quants
  * March 8-10

  Software Craftsmanship
  * March 11

  Introduction to UIs and Visualization
  * March 12

* Pricing, licensing, and training inquiries *

Didrik and Matt are dedicated to answering your
questions and getting you the support you need.

US : Matt Harward
[hidden email]

Europe: Didrik Pinte

Re: EPD 6.1 & Upcoming Webinars

Gary Ruben
Great news. May I ask whether the Sphinx-based html documentation has
been restored in this version?

Gary R.

Amenity Applewhite wrote:

> March is shaping up to be as busy as ever: planning
> SciPy 2010 (http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2010),
> two great webinars...and a new release of EPD!
>

> * Enthought Python Distribution 6.1 *
>
> In EPD 6.1, NumPy and SciPy are dynamically linked
> against the MKL linear algebra routines. This allows
> EPD users to seamlessly benefit from the highly
> optimized BLAS and LAPACK routines in the MKL.
>
> We were certainly expecting to observe performance
> improvements, but we were surprised at just how
> dramatic the optimizations were for applications
> run on dual and multi-core Intel(R) processors.
> Refer to our benchmarking tests for more info:

Re: EPD 6.1 & Upcoming Webinars

Ilan Schnell
For this version, we included a menu item with documentation
links to all projects in EPD.  Does this answer our question?

- Ilan

On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Gary Ruben wrote:

> Great news. May I ask whether the Sphinx-based html documentation has
> been restored in this version?
>
> Gary R.
>
> Amenity Applewhite wrote:
>> March is shaping up to be as busy as ever: planning
>> SciPy 2010 (http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2010),
>> two great webinars...and a new release of EPD!
>>

>> * Enthought Python Distribution 6.1 *
>>
>> In EPD 6.1, NumPy and SciPy are dynamically linked
>> against the MKL linear algebra routines. This allows
>> EPD users to seamlessly benefit from the highly
>> optimized BLAS and LAPACK routines in the MKL.
>>
>> We were certainly expecting to observe performance
>> improvements, but we were surprised at just how
>> dramatic the optimizations were for applications
>> run on dual and multi-core Intel(R) processors.
>> Refer to our benchmarking tests for more info:

Re: EPD 6.1 & Upcoming Webinars

Gary Ruben
Hi Ilan,

I guess you mean links to the web. In the previous EPD versions, local
Sphinx-based docs were installed locally with a simple search engine,
which meant you didn't need to be online to access docs and could search
just relevant docs. I realise that this means you can be accessing
out-of-date docs and that most people have web access from everywhere
now. Still, I miss this ability.

Gary R.

Ilan Schnell wrote:

> For this version, we included a menu item with documentation
> links to all projects in EPD.  Does this answer our question?
>
> - Ilan
>

> On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Gary Ruben wrote:
>
>> Great news. May I ask whether the Sphinx-based html documentation has
>> been restored in this version?
>>
>> Gary R.

Re: EPD 6.1 & Upcoming Webinars

Ilan Schnell
Actually you can install these documents as well
using enpkg:
$ enpkg EPDDocs
which however requires a subscriber account.

- Ilan

On Mar 2, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Gary Ruben wrote:

> Hi Ilan,
>
> I guess you mean links to the web. In the previous EPD versions, local
> Sphinx-based docs were installed locally with a simple search engine,
> which meant you didn't need to be online to access docs and could
> search
> just relevant docs. I realise that this means you can be accessing
> out-of-date docs and that most people have web access from everywhere
> now. Still, I miss this ability.
>
> Gary R.
>
> Ilan Schnell wrote:
>> For this version, we included a menu item with documentation
>> links to all projects in EPD.  Does this answer our question?
>>
>> - Ilan
>>

>> On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Gary Ruben wrote:
>>
>>> Great news. May I ask whether the Sphinx-based html documentation
>>> has
>>> been restored in this version?
>>>
>>> Gary R.

Re: EPD 6.1 & Upcoming Webinars

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 10:18:02AM -0600, Amenity Applewhite wrote:
> * Enthought Python Distribution 6.1 *

> In EPD 6.1, NumPy and SciPy are dynamically linked
> against the MKL linear algebra routines. This allows
> EPD users to seamlessly benefit from the highly
> optimized BLAS and LAPACK routines in the MKL.

I just wanted to say that this is great added value. Congratulations.

Gaƫl

Re: EPD 6.1 & Upcoming Webinars

Gary Ruben
Ah, thanks for clarifying that Ilan.