EPD 32-bit installer on 64-bit Win Server

EPD 32-bit installer on 64-bit Win Server

Aditya Sethi
Hi,
I am unable to run the 32-bit EPD-free installer on my 64-bit Windows server.  I can install 32-bit versions of Python, scipy, numpy and other py libs seperately with no issues
Does Enthought have a restriction on 32-bit EPD-free installer on 64-bit machines?

Thanks,
Ady

Re: EPD 32-bit installer on 64-bit Win Server

Jonathan March
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Aditya Sethi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I am unable to run the 32-bit EPD-free installer on my 64-bit Windows server.  I can install 32-bit versions of Python, scipy, numpy and other py libs seperately with no issues
Does Enthought have a restriction on 32-bit EPD-free installer on 64-bit machines?

No, we do this regularly on 64-bit desktop machines. I don't know if there's anything about servers which is different, though. Most commonly, when EPD installs on Windows machines fail, it is from difficult-to-track conflicts with other versions of EPD or Python.

Posting more information about the failure and about all previous python installations & all environment variables might help give a clue.

Jonathan

Re: EPD 32-bit installer on 64-bit Win Server

Rich Signell
On Windows EPD modifies your User Environment Variable PATH, so if you
install both the 64 and 32  bit versions of EPD, you might end up with
a path like this:

PATH=C:\Python27_EPD64;C:\Python27_EPD64\Scripts;C:\Python27_EPD32;C:\Python27_EPD32\Scripts

Which will be problematic for running the 32 bit version until you
modify your path.   Could that be your issue?

I solved this by removing the PATH= EPD stuff from my User Environment
Variables, and specifying *either* 32 bit or *64 bit* PATH in bat
files that launch command windows, ipython, etc.

-Rich

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Aditya Sethi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am unable to run the 32-bit EPD-free installer on my 64-bit Windows
>> server.  I can install 32-bit versions of Python, scipy, numpy and other py
>> libs seperately with no issues
>> Does Enthought have a restriction on 32-bit EPD-free installer on 64-bit
>> machines?
>

> No, we do this regularly on 64-bit desktop machines. I don't know if there's
> anything about servers which is different, though. Most commonly, when EPD
> installs on Windows machines fail, it is from difficult-to-track conflicts
> with other versions of EPD or Python.
>
> Posting more information about the failure and about all previous python
> installations & all environment variables might help give a clue.
>
> Jonathan

Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598

Re: EPD 32-bit installer on 64-bit Win Server

Aditya Sethi
Thanks guys. It turned out to be a simple permissions issue on my end with Windows Server 2008. Even as an admin, I needed to explicitly open a cmd window as administrator before running the epd installer. For some reason, python and other py modules installers ran fine in normal cmd mode but not epd, which I wrongly ended up attributing to the epd installer. Appreciate the help and I would perform more thorough checks in the future before posting.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Rich Signell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Windows EPD modifies your User Environment Variable PATH, so if you
install both the 64 and 32  bit versions of EPD, you might end up with
a path like this:

PATH=C:\Python27_EPD64;C:\Python27_EPD64\Scripts;C:\Python27_EPD32;C:\Python27_EPD32\Scripts

Which will be problematic for running the 32 bit version until you
modify your path.   Could that be your issue?

I solved this by removing the PATH= EPD stuff from my User Environment
Variables, and specifying *either* 32 bit or *64 bit* PATH in bat
files that launch command windows, ipython, etc.

-Rich

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Jonathan March <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Aditya Sethi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am unable to run the 32-bit EPD-free installer on my 64-bit Windows
>> server.  I can install 32-bit versions of Python, scipy, numpy and other py
>> libs seperately with no issues
>> Does Enthought have a restriction on 32-bit EPD-free installer on 64-bit
>> machines?
>

> No, we do this regularly on 64-bit desktop machines. I don't know if there's
> anything about servers which is different, though. Most commonly, when EPD
> installs on Windows machines fail, it is from difficult-to-track conflicts
> with other versions of EPD or Python.
>
> Posting more information about the failure and about all previous python
> installations & all environment variables might help give a clue.
>
> Jonathan

Dr. Richard P. Signell   <a href="tel:%28508%29%20457-2229" value="+15084572229" target="_blank">(508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598