Demo of tasks for wx

Rob McMullen
Here's a git branch of pyface & envisage that has (mostly) working support for tasks using the wx toolkit. As an example, I've modified the pyface/examples/tasks/advanced demo to support both wx and qt4.

There is some missing functionality as compared to qt, but the basic stuff works.

To try it out, you'll need to clone my git repos and run 'python setup develop' on each:

Then go to the pyface/examples/tasks/advanced directory and run 'python run.py'

I'm using the (pure python) wx.lib.agw.aui library for the window layout, and due to a bug that is triggered by tasks support, I've included a copy of the aui library in my version of pyface. (The fix has been accepted upstream but not propagated to any wx release yet.)

There is also a bug in traitsui that gets triggered by wx tasks support, and until my pull request gets merged you can clone

git clone https://github.com/robmcmullen/traitsui

Feedback welcome!

Rob

Re: Demo of tasks for wx

Corran Webster
Hi Rob,

this sort of slipped through the cracks in my e-mail filters, but I've been meaning to say thank you for doing this.

Regarding the TraitsUI bug, I assume it is the one fixed by this: https://github.com/enthought/traitsui/pull/153  Robin has commented, and has one (I think minor) concern, but if all is well with that, I'd be willing to merge soon if it helps.

I'd encourage you to make PRs for the pyface and envisage updates once you're comfortable with the state of the code.

-- Corran

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Corran Webster <[hidden email]> wrote:
this sort of slipped through the cracks in my e-mail filters, but I've been meaning to say thank you for doing this.

I'm hoping that other people might find it useful other than myself. :)

Regarding the TraitsUI bug, I assume it is the one fixed by this: https://github.com/enthought/traitsui/pull/153  Robin has commented, and has one (I think minor) concern, but if all is well with that, I'd be willing to merge soon if it helps.

I thought the assumption I made was similar to the original assumption in the code I replaced, but I would defer to Robin, of course!

I'd encourage you to make PRs for the pyface and envisage updates once you're comfortable with the state of the code.

Great, will do. I've made a bunch of changes, although there's only one change in pyface outside of ui/wx/tasks. There's also only one change in envisage, which was for a bug fix and unrelated to wx tasks. I think I already put a PR in for that one.

So, hopefully it wouldn't be much of a QA issue since it's for stuff that wouldn't be officially supported by Enthought anyway.

But I still have some things to iron out. I still can't figure out initial sizing of dock panes, but that's always hard in wx (for me, anyway). And I've also included a copy of the pure python wx.lib.agw.aui library in my pyface repo and I haven't looked into the license compatibility.

Rob