ChacoPlotItem vs. PlotContainer

Nathaniel Hayes
Hello everyone,

I've been using Traits and Chaco for a while now to create UI and Plots for data acquisition systems I use at school and work.  I have traits figured out fairly well, but Chaco is still a bit of a mystery, as the documentation, as limited as it is, uses ChacoPlotItem where as the examples use PlotContainer inside a function to create the plot.   From what I gather, PlotContainer is much more flexible and powerful where adding tools are concerned.  My question is, which is the correct paradigm to use, and in general, is there anymore documentation other than the examples that reflect the use of PlotContainer? The pythonic way is to have just one paradigm.

Thanks

--
Nathaniel Christopher Hayes
Fourth Year Mechanical Engineering

Re: ChacoPlotItem vs. PlotContainer

bryce hendrix-2
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Nathaniel Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been using Traits and Chaco for a while now to create UI and Plots for data acquisition systems I use at school and work.  I have traits figured out fairly well, but Chaco is still a bit of a mystery, as the documentation, as limited as it is, uses ChacoPlotItem where as the examples use PlotContainer inside a function to create the plot.   From what I gather, PlotContainer is much more flexible and powerful where adding tools are concerned.  My question is, which is the correct paradigm to use, and in general, is there anymore documentation other than the examples that reflect the use of PlotContainer? The pythonic way is to have just one paradigm.

Nathaniel,

PlotContainer is the one you should be using. I've been slowly updating the examples to use it, but the docs have yet to be updated. I think we need another Chaco docs sprint...

Re: ChacoPlotItem vs. PlotContainer

Peter Wang
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 9:18 AM, bryce hendrix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PlotContainer is the one you should be using. I've been slowly updating the
> examples to use it, but the docs have yet to be updated. I think we need
> another Chaco docs sprint...

Also, the most recent tutorial uses ComponentEditor and PlotContainer
almost exclusively:
http://code.enthought.com/projects/chaco/docs/html/user_manual/tutorial_1.html

(Full PDF of the slides and presenter notes:
https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/Chaco/trunk/docs/scipy08_tutorial.pdf)

HTH,
Peter