Chaco: multiple arrays for single data set

Chaco: multiple arrays for single data set

Chuck Carlson
Hello,

I have an audio app that is getting audio data in small, fixed size chunks.  I've been appending them to a numpy array which is fine for short duration, but anything longer and the copying of the data to create a contiguous array gets very cpu intensive.

So, I wonder if there is a way for Chaco to plot from multiple(thousands) of arrays in a linked list of these arrays?  would a custom renderer be able to do this?   Any demos related to this?

Thanks,

--Chuck

Re: Chaco: multiple arrays for single data set

Tim Diller
Take a look at the waterfall spectrum demo. That may have an implementation similar to what you are looking for.
HTH,
-Tim

- - -
Tim Diller, Ph. D.
Scientific Software Developer
Enthought, Inc.
(512) 536-1057x258 office
(512) 436-3455 mobile

On S 23 Dec, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Chuck Carlson wrote:

Hello,

I have an audio app that is getting audio data in small, fixed size chunks.  I've been appending them to a numpy array which is fine for short duration, but anything longer and the copying of the data to create a contiguous array gets very cpu intensive.

So, I wonder if there is a way for Chaco to plot from multiple(thousands) of arrays in a linked list of these arrays?  would a custom renderer be able to do this?   Any demos related to this?

Thanks,

--Chuck

Re: Chaco: multiple arrays for single data set

Chuck Carlson
Thanks Tim,

The spectrum demo is where I started.  They don't need to buffer large amounts of audio, just display small portions of it.

I think I'll just allocate a huge buffer, and put a limit on the amount of audio that can be streamed in.

Otherwise, a deeper solution would require understanding of Chaco's internals, like abstract_data_sourse, abstract_data_range.

--Chuck