Adding new packages to enthought installation

Adding new packages to enthought installation

Des.P
I have EPD 7.3 installed on OSX, most of which appears to be in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3

(I also have a python 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 install on the same machine).

What is the best way to add more packages to this EPD install? I was hoping my $PATH would magically have something like easy_install-7.3, but it does not.

Thanks!

Desmond

Re: Adding new packages to enthought installation

Robert Kern
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Des.P <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have EPD 7.3 installed on OSX, most of which appears to be in
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3
>
> (I also have a python 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 install on the same machine).
>
> What is the best way to add more packages to this EPD install? I was hoping my $PATH would magically have something like easy_install-7.3, but it does not.

EPD includes the distribute package which provides the easy_install
script with the easy_install-2.7 alias. The versioned alias follows
the Python version number, as standard, not EPD's version.

In general, you can build and install any Python package just like you
would with any other Python installation. If you can build an egg for
the package, then you can use EPD's egginst script to install it. This
will allow egginst to remove it cleanly later, so I recommend doing
this if possible.

Re: Adding new packages to enthought installation

Jonathan March
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Des.P <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have EPD 7.3 installed on OSX, most of which appears to be in
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3
>
> (I also have a python 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 install on the same machine).
>
> What is the best way to add more packages to this EPD install? I was hoping my $PATH would magically have something like easy_install-7.3, but it does not.

EPD includes the distribute package which provides the easy_install
script with the easy_install-2.7 alias. The versioned alias follows
the Python version number, as standard, not EPD's version.

In general, you can build and install any Python package just like you
would with any other Python installation. If you can build an egg for
the package, then you can use EPD's egginst script to install it. This
will allow egginst to remove it cleanly later, so I recommend doing
this if possible.

If building an egg seems overwhelming initially, you can:
$ easy_install pip
$ pip install whatever

Then later, after you build the egg:
$ pip uninstall whatever
$ egginst whatever.egg

And if that doesn't go so well, revert with:
$ egginst --remove whatever
$ pip install whatever

Note that egginst does no dependency tracking.

hth,
Jonathan